Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 79 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 78 79
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Even easier. By definition God is not constrained by anything. Least of all someone's opinion of how he should act. We're interested in what our relationship with God actually is, not what we think it should be.

God is restrained in one thing: He is not man that He should lie or do anything wrong. The Lord is Righteous in all His ways and faithful in all He does.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You would be taking the Bible as a history book (some seem to want to take it as a science book). It is not. It is a book about our relationship with God, written to be understood by yhe people at the time it was written.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Even easier. By definition God is not constrained by anything. Least of all someone's opinion of how he should act. We're interested in what our relationship with God actually is, not what we think it should be.

God is restrained in one thing: He is not man that He should lie or do anything wrong. The Lord is Righteous in all His ways and faithful in all He does.

Definitional issues again. God is not constrained in anything. By his nature what He says and does is defined as good.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I can't argue with the weak of mind. The bible was written by Satan. Prove me wrong. Also a fairy tail is not history, so I guess I'm not denying history only a fairy tail.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rimfire
I can't argue with the weak of mind. The bible was written by Satan. Prove me wrong. Also a fairy tail is not history, so I guess I'm not denying history only a fairy tail.

The D-K force is strong within you.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Can anyone prove the bible wasn't written by Satan? I bet they can't

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
No one can prove anything to anybody who refuses the truth. That's you.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would Satan write a book of virtues? That would be absurd.

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It's to get people to obey and kill each other over which religion is correct. He also wrote the koran and the other religious books.PS virtues existed long before the bible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pulled that one out of your ass, didn't ya. smile

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nothing existed before God, except God.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Indiscriminate annihilation is what humans do. I would expect a God that created a universe from nothing would have other options.

This is another example of skeptics eventually contradicting their own lines of reasoning--first of all you can't charge God with anything unless you believe that He exists, and Israel did what He commanded, and that it was accurately recorded in the OT. So on one hand its said He doesn't exist, then we charge Him with being immoral.

We say the universe wasn't created by God, then He had other options as the Creator. They blame God for trying to "fix everything according to His will" but then we blame Him if He works through mankind and doesn't employ enough miracles--but then we deny that miracles exist...and so it goes ...

I don't read it like that at all. I think he's simply saying that a God as wise and powerful as he would have to be to create all that is, would have had far better options than simply annihilating an entire people. He's not charging God with anything, he's saying God didn't do, in fact couldn't have done it since he doesn't exist, and therefore it was done by man using "God's will" and an excuse.

I'm simply pointing out that we have been all over on this thread following contradictory lines of reasoning. As to the reasons for what God shared with us in His Word--they were shared here. The result is that God extended grace and grace was spurned--then he took measured methods to remove them. The Creator has the right to also terminate life as He sees fit. Again as pointed out this is very much like what happened in WWII. If God was sovereign in the OT, He was also still sovereign during WWII. Its the same as saying God could have found a way to miraculously intervene and end WWII by convincing the Japanese to surrender. But God has created humans with choices and consequences for the choices they make. That is an inescapable reality of life.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
nighthawk You don't like it when I use the same tactics believers do ? That is to be expected.

RickyD very lame.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Truth is lame to some.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
What does God need? Who does God love? Those He created to be His children in his likeness. What does He want? Money, no. Gold, no. Love, yes. From who? His.

He doesnt want you to make Him rich or strong or with warehouses of food or land with cattle, Rimfire. He doesnt want you to kill anyone for Him nor does He want you to wound yourself for Him.

What He wants from you is something for you, everlasting life.

Yep, He wants too much.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/08/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rimfire
nighthawk You don't like it when I use the same tactics believers do ? That is to be expected.

RickyD very lame.

I don't like it when anyone uses "tactics." Rational argument only.

I try not to butt in but sometimes these threads get so sideways I just want to scream.

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Why would Satan write a book of virtues? That would be absurd.

4D Chess

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You do realize that if I don't believe in a god I also don't believe in a satan. I'm pulling your chain to get a rise out of you,it worked Those who thought it through didn't respond.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Language translation?

Question: "Why does Acts 9:7 say that those traveling with Paul heard a voice, but Acts 22:9 says that they heard no voice?"

Answer: As Paul relates his conversion experience to an audience in Jerusalem, he says, “They that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me” (Acts 22:9, KJV).

However, Luke, in relating the same event, says, “The men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man” (Acts 9:7, KJV).

So, which is it? Paul says “they heard not the voice,” and Luke says they were “hearing a voice.”

First of all, the word for “voice” in these verses is the Greek word phone, which means “a sound, a tone, a speech, a voice, or a natural sound.” With such a wide-ranging definition, the context must determine the most accurate meaning of the word. Most commonly, phone is applied to a voice from God, a human, or an angel. However, phone can also refer to sounds in general. It is translated “sound” in John 3:8, “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound. . . .” Paul uses the word to refer to the “sound” of a trumpet in 1 Corinthians 14:8.

The flexibility of phone is quite evident in Revelation 1:15, “His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice [phone] was like the sound [phone] of rushing waters.” Here, the identical Greek word is translated two different ways.

These examples illustrate how confusion can arise in the comparison of Acts 9 with Acts 22. Paul heard a voice as Jesus communicated directly with him. The men with Paul heard the voice speaking to Paul but, to them, it was just an unintelligible sound. Did they hear the voice? Yes, in the sense that they heard something. But, since they could not understand what the voice said, it was nothing more than a sound—in other words, they couldn’t really “hear” Jesus.

The ESV clears up the seeming contradiction nicely: “Those who were with me saw the light but did not understand the voice of the one who was speaking to me” (Acts 22:9). And, “They heard the sound but did not see anyone” (Acts 9:7). Not understanding the voice—but hearing the sound—is a good description of what happened.

Correct and we use this type of terminology all the time today. We say we heard something when we hear a noise, but when we hear a noise and cannot discern the speech we say we cannot hear the person. Again its the application of context and common sense.

Sloppy reporting at best. As written, it is an undeniably contradictory account of an event that was most probably an epileptic seizure. In both instances, being open to interpretation and needing explanation, the interpretation made by those who already have a conclusion, already believe, is skewed in favour of faith rather than reason or probability.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
Nothing existed before God, except God.

Is that so? What is this thing called 'God?' Does it have an appearance? A body? Is it invisible? Magical? A Cosmic Magician? Who has it right, the Hindus in the form of Brahman, the Muslims?

What are we talking about when the word 'God' is being used?

Page 38 of 79 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (257 mag, 007FJ, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.