OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Real Teampunk...

Take a look at "The Raiders of the Deep" by Lowell Thomas. A very interesting book on WWI U-Boats.

Slim
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Amazing, some of the photos look fake,Like someone sketched what the future might look like, buck Rogers :-) those guys had balls of steel.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cool!

If you have an interest in PIG BOATS.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
American engineer: We can build that entire sub with 279 separate valves and three miles of tubing.

German engineer: Ach! You are amachures! Ve can build das u-boot mit 859 valves und 127 km of tubing, und dat's just for der control room!

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BamBam
...... those guys had balls of steel.

I spent a couple years riding around in a submarine built in the 1960s, hardly ever considered the inherent danger, the odds were pretty good in our favor. No f-ing way I'd go to sea in something built in the 1910s, the laws of probability were just waiting to take you out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I ever found myself inside a sub, I am certain that I could exit straight through the hull.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great pictures....By the way...NO THANKS !

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someone else can have the subs and tanks...

No thanks.

Rat in a tin can comes to mind.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, those pix do show the crudity of early submarines... But it's a German sub from WWII that made me want to serve on subs - the U-505 in Chicago.. The one in the OP's pic must have been pretty small - I note the draft markings on the hull showing about 13 or less of draft.. US WWII subs usually drafted about 17 feet or so..

By the time WWII came around, our boats were a bit more modern, but still pretty cramped... Here's a pic of the forward end of the after engine room of the Razorback SS-394:

[Linked Image]

Here's where I was stationed:

[Linked Image]

Even as tolerant as I am to close spaces, the pics of that WWI sub would even cause me to think twice... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who served on a WW II U-Boat. His boat was sunk in the middle of the Atlantic by the British, who then sailed away, leaving the survivors behind. They were rescued by an American ship and brought to the U.S. to sit out the war in a POW camp. He was so well-treated here that, after the war, he returned with his wife to live here . They had a son who became an officer in the USN in the 1970's.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JeffyD
When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who served on a WW II U-Boat. His boat was sunk in the middle of the Atlantic by the British, who then sailed away, leaving the survivors behind. They were rescued by an American ship and brought to the U.S. to sit out the war in a POW camp. He was so well-treated here that, after the war, he returned with his wife to live here . They had a son who became an officer in the USN in the 1970's.

Good story and he likely wasn't the only one who either stayed here or went home, got his wife and came back.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
When I was young I worked for a man that was stationed on a sub during WWII. He said during a huge storm they went through they lost a Destroyer to the storm. He had some stories. I wish I had pressed him more.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Just imagine the smell inside that U-Boat- men living in cramped quarters with little or no sanitation and barely functioning heads, food spoiling (and then being cooked), crude to non-existent ventilation, diesel fumes, storage battery acid fumes. No way.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
, crude to non-existent ventilation, .

Back in that era they spent a lot of time on the surface so the air got changed out pretty well. The longer you were down, yeah, it likely got pretty ripe, but I suspect unless you got held down against your will it wasn't too awful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Great story. Wonder if he was from the Soviet controlled part of the country. With Germany completely destroyed, widespread hunger, and no jobs immediately post war, it was logical for those, especially those in the eastern portion of Germany to emigrate.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Redneck, thanks for the pics. Now a days they'll lock you up for taking pictures inside a boat.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...of-classified-areas-of-nuclear-submarine

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very interesting. I don’t think I was cut out of that cloth.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Redneck - my Uncle Glen Larsen by marriage was in the second crew to board that captured U-boat in Chitcago. After the demo (first) crew had negated the charges. One of his sons served on a couple of the early Nukes.

My FIL served on Diesel subs in the 50's - he couldn't take surface ships - or for that matter, the sub on the surface. Only person I've ever seen who actually gets a greenish tinge to the skin when sea-sick. Once under, he was fine.

And my nephew in Fairbanks spent a couple years on the Puffer ( I think) - a Nuke. He was miserable. When he went in, he was just under the height cutoff. A late growth spurt after he was already in the program shot him up to 6'4". He learned to sleep in a curled position....

He hated it - the day he got out, he burned his uniforms. The next day he realized he was still in the reserve, and had to go buy new ones. smile

Last edited by las; 07/09/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.