24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA so mostly fished the rivers for whatever was biting: largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, sauger & walleyes, hybrid strippers, channel cats and carp. Since the rivers were usually pretty rough on equipment, I usually bought cheap stuff. A few years back I upgraded some of my equipment. Past few years, I've been using a Daiwa SS Tournament 1300 series. Although reviews say it's not a very refine reel, I absolutely love it! Sadly I heard they discontinued this model, so I bought another 1300 series last night. May see if I can find a 700series for a ultra light rig but think the 1300series will make do on an ultra light.

GB2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Daiwa SS 2600, super smooth drag, a go to for big fish. I like the Penn SS series too, bronze gears, great drag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always liked Shimano reels. Company is well known for quality gears and bearings on a lot of equipment.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The older Shimanos. The new ones, not so much. I like to have the ability to backreel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just recently spooled up my two 40+ year old Mitchel 300's with metal gears. Landed a lot of steelhead and consider them good friends.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Daiwa BGs are a lot of reel for $100. For a 50# fish I'd go for their 4500 or 5000. Check out Alan Hawk's review. While you're there, take a look at all his spinning reviews. There are certainly more expensive reels if you want to go that way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
The Daiwa BGs are a lot of reel for $100. For a 50# fish I'd go for their 4500 or 5000. Check out Alan Hawk's review. While you're there, take a look at all his spinning reviews. There are certainly more expensive reels if you want to go that way.

I bought a couple of the 1500 series BG's for fishing panfish and have been using them for a few months . They are really good reels with a good drag system.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Always had the urge to try a high end reel. Anyone have any experience with a Shimano Stella?
Or is the Certate a better choice to consider?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess I'll find out, just ordered a CERTATE LT4000-CXH

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Always had the urge to try a high end reel. Anyone have any experience with a Shimano Stella?
Or is the Certate a better choice to consider?

I love the Stella. Let us know how you like the CERTATE.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pretty much preferred Shimanos until I bought a Pleuger President, tough to beat for a $100, let alone the $50 they go for. The Okuma baitrunners or whatever they are called are nice for bigger fish. I use them in the salt and they hold up well.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Certate is an amazing reel. The smoothless and precision is unbelievable. The drag is rated at 26.5 pounds and is smooth as silk. The adjustment range of the drag seems to be endless. For a medium sized spinning reel the drag puts it in a league of its own. Hope to go fishing this coming week and try it in the water. Only held a Stella in a store but this reel feels every bit as good.
My wife "frowned" on me spending so much on a reel. I handed the reel to her and asked her to look it over and try cranking the handle, about 30 seconds later she told me, "I want one".

Worth the money? To me it is. If I want to spend $75 on a bottle or bourbon or $400 on a reel at my age it doesnt matter. Life is getting shorter and shorter.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Best is very subjective, I like the Shimano Biomaster SW 4000. I preset the drag at 25 pounds, I use it for salt water jigging. You will have to search for one. I had mine brought from Japan! I'm not sure what the exchange rate was, five years ago, but around $450.00 today will put you in the price range! I'm sure some fishing shop can order them. You won't see them at Bass smasher stores!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the Shimano Stradic's, very smooth reel. But I do swap out the OEM drag washers with Carbontex drag washers. I use the reels for perch (1000 Stradic), up to big Lake Michigan Salmon and walleye (2500 Stradic).

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
Pretty much preferred Shimanos until I bought a Pleuger President, tough to beat for a $100, let alone the $50 they go for. The Okuma baitrunners or whatever they are called are nice for bigger fish. I use them in the salt and they hold up well.

Agreed. I bought one on closeout several years back and it's been a great reel.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a couple Quantum Smoke size 25 spinning reels in early spring for new smallmouth setups. Both freshwater versions they are very lightweight and have great drags. I also picked up a saltwater Inshore S3 size 30 model and am super happy with it as well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

When I was a young fellow and broke the reel of choice was the Daiwa EX tournament series...now I am older and not quite as broke that is the reel I have settled on...and am well pleased with the choice.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I fish about 180 days a year and always used the low end shimanos. Switched to Pflueger Presidents and feel they are much better. Much beefier bail and bail spring. Quality smooth reel with a great drag and only around 60 bucks.

living the good life every day
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I fish about 180 days a year and always used the low end shimanos. Switched to Pflueger Presidents and feel they are much better. Much beefier bail and bail spring. Quality smooth reel with a great drag and only around 60 bucks.

Keep an eye on Bass Pro. They have had Pfleuger Presidents on sale intermittently for around $30. I bought two at last opportunity and picked up a couple St Croix Rods for them not long ago. A combination damn hard to beat, if you ask me.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My stradics FG’s were getting some age on them so was looking for a possible replacement. I tried 3 or 4 of the presidents and was not impressed. I picked up several Diawa TD reels and they’ve been in use for three years and are holding up well. Last year I got a deal on some new Shimano and replaced all of my aging reels. For me anyway, Shimano/ Diawa are my choices.

To answer the original question about the Stella is that it is an incredible reel worth the money if you are a serious fisherman. It will last a very long time when a lesser reel would have to be replaced several times.

CK
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.