-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Hey y’all. I’m looking for a reputable gunsmith to send a gun of mine to for a rebarrel and muzzle break job. If anyone knows of one in Utah or Idaho please let me know.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Might want to specify "brake".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs. He is up in Sandpoint and does fantastic work and just a great guy to deal with.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Campfire's own Redneck is a gunsmith.

I have only seen good posts about his work! Quality work, time as promised and fairly-priced.

John

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Redneck and Karl are both good to go.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Make sure you have enough metal between the bore and min threads... this really comes into play with button rifled barrels that bell out when you remove metal (button rifle barrels have stress in them).

Field guns tend to be that way - barrels with cut land don’t exhibit it because they aren’t stressed, so you go by the CIP metal / pressure specs for those.

Here’s a video, not all smiths notice this...
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/04/muzzle-threading-dont-remove-too-much-steel/

Final note - if you do a button barrel and it bells out you can recess the crown to help minimize the accuracy impacts of having the barrel bell out at the end...

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the info y’all. I appreciate it

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Make sure you have enough metal between the bore and min threads... this really comes into play with button rifled barrels that bell out when you remove metal (button rifle barrels have stress in them).

Field guns tend to be that way - barrels with cut land don’t exhibit it because they aren’t stressed, so you go by the CIP metal / pressure specs for those.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/04/muzzle-threading-dont-remove-too-much-steel/

Final note - if you do a button barrel and it bells out you can recess the crown to help minimize the accuracy impacts of having the barrel bell out at the end...

Have you checked them with a pin gauge to verify this?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Occasionally true but not always. The story about stresses in buttoned barrels is mostly propgated by makers of cut barrels. Most buttoned barrels will be just fine. Now and then, one may gat out which was not properly stress relieved but it is rare from any of the better makers. Likewise, the occasional cut-rifled barrel is made of steel which was not normalized and will distort when the exterior is machined.
I have contoured, re-contoured, fluted, machined octagon, and threaded for brakes, hundreds of barrels. These barrels have been cut, broached, buttoned, or hammer forged and very few have warped, belled, or distorted noticably. The very worst barrels, in this regard, I ever encountered were a pair of cut-rifled barrels. I had to straighten these after every pass an the lathe. Surprisingly enough, they shot pretty good.
My very best BR rifle barrel was a buttoned barrel which I contoured from a 1.250 blank. My second best was the same.
In addition to rifle barrels, I have machined many tons of hydraulic cylinders, valves, bushings, sleeves, and shafts and have a pretty good handle on what steel can do when machined and how to minmize it.
By the way, in the article it mentions the use of a smaller thread as a means to save weight. Seriously? GD

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used Redneck, and he does fine work, fast turnaround. near home here, over in Taylorsville, my local guy is "Chris Gun Repair". Very good work too.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.