Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just a little fact about rubber used in tires, rubber in it's raw form is very sticky and will easily stick to itself and other objects. It will air cure over time and harden . Vulcanizing or curing with heat will set it to a non-sticky state that we see in a finished tire. However the curing process continues over time very slowly . Time (and weather including sunlight) is the enemy....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a brand new full sized spare under my pickup. It's now 11 years old and has never seen the sun. They tell you to rotate them to use the spare and replace all 5 at once but who actually does that? I'd be afraid of using this at high speed after all these years, new or not.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I put a set of ProComp MTs on my 79 in about 2005. Drove it for a couple years and parked it until 2016, out in the back pasture in the sun. All 4 were still up and holding air after 10 years sitting. I fired it up and drove it to work for about 3 months until I could afford a set of new Coopers. Figure they were dry rotted pretty good when you could twist lugs off on pavement when getting on it. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tire buddy ordered us a set of these, should be in by the weekend!

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-verde-a-s-plus

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought an old single axle office trailer with probably 10 year old tires that were so dry rotted you could see daylight thru them. Only driove it two blocks to the tire store.

Just sits at the deeer lease and now on about year 6-8 on the newer tires. I towed it about 50 miles to the new lease 2 years ago with a lot of pucker factor. Only about 4500 pounds but It’s really tongue heavy and no brakes. Will replace tires before moving it again.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I'd run those tires on a farm truck until they failed me, but NOT on the highway or anyplace that matters.

What CIK said

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't waste money on Michelins if only putting 24K on in 8 yrs!!!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Tire buddy ordered us a set of these, should be in by the weekend!

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-verde-a-s-plus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Don't waste money on Michelins if only putting 24K on in 8 yrs!!!!

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am over 80 years old and I need my tires replaced.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
I am over 80 years old and I need my tires replaced.

then you will be re-tired!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkmtb
I bought an old single axle office trailer with probably 10 year old tires that were so dry rotted you could see daylight thru them. Only driove it two blocks to the tire store.

Just sits at the deeer lease and now on about year 6-8 on the newer tires. I towed it about 50 miles to the new lease 2 years ago with a lot of pucker factor. Only about 4500 pounds but It’s really tongue heavy and no brakes. Will replace tires before moving it again.

kind of a pain, but could you block the trailer up and remove the tires, store in basement or whatever?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917

kind of a pain, but could you block the trailer up and remove the tires, store in basement or whatever?

I started removing the tires from my trailers for added security.
I spend a lot of time away from home and it was bugging me a little as to how vulnerable my trailers were.
It's the boats, the dump-bed and the cargo trailer which can become a storage unit of sorts at times.

This stuff is easily stolen and most hitch locks can be defeated. Which can be a good thing since I sure as hell have lost the keys before and had to cut the locks off.

With a good floor jack and a impact wrench it just takes a few minutes to have any one of them on the road.
All it cost me was a few concrete blocks
I have taken notice as to what great condition my tires are staying in being stacked in the shop, no UV damage from the Florida sun at all...

On a side note, I also took notice how interchangeable some of the wheels are, I really might not need 6 sets of trailer tires at all..I just doubt I am going to be using my dump-bed at the same time as my cargo trailer and suddenly need to take one of the boats some where....hummmmm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Here is an informative article from edmunds.com

Do Car Tires Have a Shelf Life?
Ronald Montoya
by
October 24th, 2018

Storage: This applies to spare tires and tires that are sitting in a garage or shop. A tire that has not been mounted and is just sitting in a tire shop or your garage will age more slowly than one that has been put into service on a car. But it ages nonetheless.

Maybe new tires should come with a manufacture date embedded in them.

I wonder just how old some of the new tires I have purchased may have been.....

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess we could have bought econo tires and saved $200-300. But that really doesn't amount to much over the course of 4 years which is about how long I think we'll keep the vehicle. No doubt these will be the last set of tires we buy for it.

And hopefully they are good tires and maybe provide better traction than the econo's.

And rather than leave it sit outside all the time we can park it in the garage more often.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JeffA

I have taken notice as to what great condition my tires are staying in being stacked in the shop, no UV damage from the Florida sun at all...
Yep.. Inside storage is the key to longevity.. All my trailers are stored inside my bigger pole shed and only come out when I need one.. Only exception is the camper - but even that one is outside only 5 months a year; the remainder of time it's also inside that pole shed...

Thank GOD I had the foresight at the time (1980) to build a 40X96' with 14' clearance inside... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck

Thank GOD I had the foresight at the time (1980) to build a 40X96' with 14' clearance inside... smile

That's gotta be nice, not applicable in my situation. I'm parking on a unbuildable 50 x 400ft easement.
Only other location is between the house and the bay and I am not gonna obstruct that view.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Ronald Montoya
by
October 24th, 2018

Storage: This applies to spare tires and tires that are sitting in a garage or shop. A tire that has not been mounted and is just sitting in a tire shop or your garage will age more slowly than one that has been put into service on a car. But it ages nonetheless.

https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/tire-dot-date-code/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ronald Montoya
by
October 24th, 2018

They do, and once the public caught on that some tire shops were selling two year old tires, the tire industry went to a new code more complicated for the public to crack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Ronald Montoya
by
October 24th, 2018

https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/tire-dot-date-code/

It's always nice to learn, thanks...

To find your tires age you need to find the DOT Date Code on the tire. Find the raised DOT letters and numbers. Look for 4 numbers together, often enclosed in a raised oval. The first two numbers are the week the tire was manufactured, for instance in the example below, 35 stands for week 35. The second two numbers are the year the tire was manufactured. In the image below we see the 07, indicating the tire was build in 2007. This particular tire was made the 35th week of 2007.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
These codes are not difficult to read. They are difficult to find.
I have an Infiniti and a Nissan pickup. For each vehicle, the spare is a different make from the road tires, so I have 4 different makes of tires.
I just went out to check the dates, and in every case the date is on the inside of the tire, which makes it very difficult to see.

[Linked Image]

This is the spare of my Infiniti. It was made in week 37, so, September of 2015. Four year old tire, not bad for a spare.
They have been using the same code for at least the past 8 years. Obviously it is federally mandated because the numbers are all the same size, about 3/8 inch high.

My pickup spare tire, I just bought this one two months ago, manufactured January of this year.

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,105
Posts18,464,217
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.