Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lennie,
Before you get talked into the biggest/baddest here, do you have a significant other that may be using it?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I dropped a grand on a new husquvarna a couple years ago. Not the tracks, but has reverse and light and heated grips. Which all sound stupid, till their not. lol I can't remember the width, 27 or 30 something like that.

Every year so far it's had to go in for repairs for [bleep] coming apart inside. When it works it's awesome. Gets into places I can't with a plow. To do over I'd buy another brand.

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Get something you sit on and ride.

If he buys a John Deere tractor and their snowblower for it, I would bet on it being the worst idea ever! I have a 25 HP JD tractor and know from a few years experience that the blower is very poorly designed and that it is not robust enough to handle winter in Minnesota. If I had to only move a couple-three inches of snow on a straight paved surface and didn't have to do it very often, MAYBE, but there is no way you could talk me into repairing mine one more time even for free parts.

The TroyBilt may be a beast and overkill, but it does not take me any longer to blow it out than the JD with the 42 inch blower did and it is only a 24 inch wide cut. If I had to add the down time and the repair time for the JD to the snow blowing time, the TroyBilt will come out with a huge advantage in the time it takes blowing across a couple years.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My suggestion is to live where you won't need one.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
[quote=Redneck]

[Linked Image]wells fargo near me address

/quote]

laugh

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Lennie,
Before you get talked into the biggest/baddest here, do you have a significant other that may be using it?

Valid point.

I have a John Deere Commercial grade 28/10 and it laughs at snow. It begs it to F'n snow on my driveway. But the SOB weights like 280 pounds. My son and I are the only ones that can manage it around the yard. It's a beast.

It's now 10 years old and not without maintenance.

My neighbor has a single stage toro that also seems to laugh at snow. It sounds like a bumble bee when he clears the driveway..but he clears the driveway and has a lot lighter machine.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Miles, which blower did you have? The 42"single stage?
Like this?
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/john-deere-snow-blower-42

If so I'll have to say my experience is almost completely different.
1999 325 / 42" single hasn't required anything except shear bolts till now.
Edit to add; Cutter bars twice, and it's due for an auger housing replacement. Too many rocks in a 320 ft driveway.

Of course it's a beat up half broken old pos now, but I couldn't have asked for better service for the twenty years I've abused it.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 07/09/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Lennie,

Plus one on this.

A friend got a two-stage Honda with electric start and hydrostatic drive, the LED lighting is awesome too! HONDA LINK

Unlike when he had an old-school brute of a snowblower, his wife likes this machine and can handle it easily. She often gets the driveway done before he gets out of bed. Win-Win! laugh

Worth considering! grin

John

Last edited by jpb; 07/09/19. Reason: fingers fast, brain slow before coffee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Always best to get recommendations for things that have been out of production for a decade or three....

Son, my (fill in the blank) has been throwin snow since before you could walk! grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I am in the, need it for the wife group too. Ariens Deluxe 24, I think.....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Always best to get recommendations for things that have been out of production for a decade or three....

Son, my (fill in the blank) has been throwin snow since before you could walk! grin

Oh yeah? The boss squirrel in my yard could whip yer boy in a fight! So there! grin

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a hint. Find pure gas, real gas with no ethanol. That ethanol fuel in these small engines is bad enough when it's warm out, in the deep cold it really sucks. Keep some starting fluid on hand. Also get a coil of starter rope and the tools to change it. Take my word for that. It might not break for years but when it does you find out how bad chit can suck. Even if you have an electric starter do that, cheap insurance.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/09/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Stoutest Huskie or TroyBilt one can afford.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get one with at least an 8hp motor & an electric start. Track drive or tires with chains---no real difference IMO. Mine has 6 forward gears & 2 reverse gears------I usually just use 2nd gear for blowing snow & the slow reverse gear. I've got an Arien. I like it. I would also look at a Honda.

I bought mine form a guy moving to AZ. It was only a couple years old, I paid $600 for it.

When you get one----buy extra shear pins. Don't wait till winter. They seem hard to find when you need to replace one----especially when a major snow storm hits.

Last edited by colorado bob; 07/09/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Get something you sit on and ride.
Damn right.... smile

Like this:

[Linked Image]wells fargo near me address

Mine ain't quite that fancy......or big but I kin ride it!!

Oh, and never blow snow UPwind! laugh laugh

And ya don't mess around with Jim.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I am in the, need it for the wife group too. Ariens Deluxe 24, I think.....

That's how we roll as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy any snowblower you want as long as it's a Toro.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by SamOlson
You're missing a cab....
On purpose... smile

Yeah, cuz digging snow out from behind your glasses because the wind swirled and you can't see is great fun!
It's better when you get your eyelids closed before the fill-up, ask me how I know.
Huhmpf.. I learned early to blow snow DOWN wind... Try it - you'll like it! laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I guess I’m old school. My Honda has electric start. I used it once just to see if it worked (used. machine). Always used the pull start. But, being a Honda, it was easy peasy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had five. The Toro little one seized the engine, but started again with the electric start when it cooled down so I sold it to the boss I didn't like.
The 8 hp Toro was an old one with a lower chute, but it threw snow farther than my buddy's 8 hp Ariens head to head. It needed electric start with that B&S engine.
The 8 hp John Deere at a rental is a strong machine, but only because it has that Tecumseh engine. Electric start on this one.
The 8 hp Simplicity is about the same as that John Deere because it too has the Tecumseh engine and electric start needed for a tenant.
The 9 hp Honda 928 with wheels instead of tracks here at the house is the best snowblower that I've ever used. It will throw snow an honest 50' and blow slush when other machines jam up. It starts first pull even the first time in the fall and I've NEVER had to use the electric starter. I watch the guy across the street struggle pushing his Ariens and I've seen an Ariens hood rusted through with holes in it from gravel. That Hydrostatic drive Honda drive has been terrific and zero maintenance ever on that machine. Not so with my other ones with the rubber disc mechanical drive systems. The Honda does have two easily replaced sheer pins, one for each side of the main auger, but sheer one and it will still blow snow. You can blow little snow with a big blower, but you can't blow big snow with a little blower. Safer to get it way far away from the end of the driveway and that takes hp, weight and a geared up second stage. You won't like the price of that 928 Honda, but you will really like the machine.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.