Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm in need of a water purifier to keep in my kayak. We're going on some four and five day trips this summer, some river and some in Voyageurs National Park/ BWCA.
I need one that will easily purify enough water for two people. It will be used in northern Minnesota mainly where the rivers are clear and the lakes make you want to drink right out of so filter clogging shouldn't be a problem. Size and weight can be more that you may want to carry in a backpack but it still matters. Thanks

Last edited by whackem_stackem; 06/25/19.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Life Straw and the Life Straw Go water bottle!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Katadyn Hiker Pro

Katadyn Hiker Pro

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC
Katadyn Hiker Pro

Katadyn Hiker Pro

That's what I keep coming up with. Lot's of positive reviews

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Life Straw and the Life Straw Go water bottle!

I always carry a life straw in my backpack hunting or for fly fishing in the Rockies.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Katadyn Pro Hiker has been my go to for years. I carry a Life Straw for day hikes. I use the Steripen as a backup to the Katadyn just to make sure all of the little critters are dead. Just spent 2 weeks in the Andes with this setup as I have the prior 2 years. Works great for my needs for water that definitely needs filtration and is not clear..

With the quality of water you'll have being so clear, you could most likely do fine with just the Steripen and do away with filtering altogether.

Good luck, sounds like a great trip.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the Grayl and a Sawyer water filters. I got to use my buddy’s Grayl two years ago on a fly in fishing trip in Canada. I was impressed and bought one immediately upon returning home. I have used it in Colorado, Montana and Wyoming on hunting trips.
The Sawyer will filter nearly a gallon at a time. I used it often while camping and hiking in Montana this month. I would fill the Sawyer up with gray water and hang it up in camp. It would filter the water while I did chores or goofed off. The mountain water was fabulous.
The Grayl is quick so I keep it in my pack and grab a container full of stream water , press the filter down and then take off with a container full of mountain water.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sawyer makes stupid simple systems. That work.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I love the taste of mountain water after it’s gone through my Sawyer.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Huh - I may need to look at different models. Grabbed the MSR years ago and have been using it ever since.

Looks like there are some decent alternatives...

Thanks!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My choice is an MSR hyper-flow. Works well for me. Fairly light, fairly small, does the job.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We used Sawyers last year but hated how slow they were. Switched to Katadyn Be Free's for this year, they are MUCH faster.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I recently got a MSR Trailshot- for one person it thus far has met all my expectations- it lets me carry less water in water rich environs; I can fill my 20 oz Gatorade bottle in about 45 seconds smile.

I still carry a few Micropur tabs as a backup

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Msr Miniworks Ex

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For incline bladder filters, I’ve been very happy with the Sawyer 3-Way and the RapidPure Scout.

For a base-camp style, the MSR Miniworks has been good.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have an ancient MSR Sweetwater. I've been wanting to try a RapidPure setup. I'm tempted to pick up a Scout and one of the zip top water bladders for use as the dirty side of a gravity setup. I know RapidPure has their own gravity setup, but I think I could put something lighter together.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve been using an MSR HyperFlow for the past 10 years and it has worked great. Easy to filter water for 2-3 people. I have had to use it in silty water, water colored tannins, and water full of algae. The filter cartridge definitely gets clogged up quickly in dirty water like this, but not sure how well other filters would handle the same conditions. This is the only filter I have ever used so I can’t compare to anything else. We did the scoop and drink method for many years on our mountain trips here in BC, until I got Giardia and almost sh*t myself to death for 2 weeks. I haven’t been without a filter ever since.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sawyer dip and sip when water is abundant, AquaMira drops when it's not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Life Straw

Yup.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.