Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have the itch for one of these, what is the consensus?
I know the 7s are butt heavy and barrel lite, what else should I know about them?

Search forum wasn't any help.

Thanks,
AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I normally am a fan of big green for bolt guns, but I can't find many redeeming qualities in a slow-twist, pencil barrel, M7 .223 these days.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Dunno. I have the predator model with a heavier barrel and 9 twist and its been good. I like the balance but maybe go check one out first

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
9" is simply a prick tease and will hurt Production. A Krunchenticker will do the same thing,but better.

I wouldn't purposely do a Seven,in any chambering and especially in 223.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was at the range and one of the old timers had a Model 7 in 308. It was a walnut stock and looked very good. I think that it is another way to a good hunter.
attached is a link to a review on the Seven
https://gundigest.com/reviews/rifles-reviews/riflemans-rifle-remington-model-7-ls-review

Last edited by MM879; 07/08/19.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon my not having to read about wares in the larder,though you certainly MUST. Congratulations?!?

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm building a custom .223 on a M7, with a slightly heavier than factory contour barrel @18", 1:7.7" and fluted. Manners EH8 & a DBM kit to run accurate mags opened up for 75s. The only reason I went with the M7 is that it's the only "mini" (slightly shorter than short) action that will allow a decent OAL cartridge, Howa mini won't, CZ won't, Sako won't, and I want a lightweight and compact rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Model 7 stainless 223, with the 1-9 twist, 20 inch barrel, and it's a nice little rifle. This rifle surprised me as far as accuracy goes, by shooting very good. I've shot bullets up to 60 grains in it, and it is as accurate with those as it is with the 50's. I have no reason to want to try anything heavier in this rifle, because it's primarily a varmint rifle, and the lighter weight bullets are what I want to shoot.

I do have a Model 700 XCR Compact 223 that also has the 1-9 twist, and I have shot the both 75 and 77 grain bullets in it, and they also shot accurately, leading me to believe that the 1-9 twist works just fine.

Also, I've had a Model 7 Predator 223 ever since the Predator model first came out. Mine has the 1-12 twist. As it's strictly used for coyotes, bobcats, and that sort of thing, all I've ever shot in it are 50-55 grain bullets. I had another M 7 Predator in 223, with the 1-9 twist, and only fired it a few times, but I could no difference in the accuracy between it and the 1-12 twist.

As far as hunting purposes go, I prefer the balance of the Predator model, with the heavier 22 inch barrel, over the stainless 20 inch barrel. However, the stainless model is lighter, and has it's advantages there. Now, I'll go ahead and say it......I'm not a huge fan of the heavy 223 bullets, as my use for the 223 is geared more towards the 50-55 grain stuff. But, I've played around with the 75 and 77 grain bullets enough to know that the 1-9 twist seems to be good enough for them. I've also got a Remington R-15 in 23, and I believe it has the 1-9 twist. My late brother had one just like it, and he shot some 65's and I believe some 75's in his, and claimed it shot good, which again would lead me to believe that the 1-9 is enough.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
MJ I was thinking the Predator has a slower twist, but I like the weight and barrel contour. I am wanting to stay with SS, so the M7 SS is where I'm currently.
Back a while, I handled a SS m7 in XCR and really I liked the weight and balance of that contour.
I figure I could always change pencil thin the barrel which is the attribute I like the least.

PF it sounds like a nice rifle.

JPro, yes I am conflicted about this decision. I am thinking a lightweight .223 for the grand-kids to use that could later be built into something else. Though it may be best to go with a different chambering for that....

Any comments on the accuracy of these rifles?

Thanks for the responses guys. AJD

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned several model Seven rifles and they all shot amazingly well for such a thin barrel. Will say that I've never had a 223 in one. Unless your reason for 223 is cheap and plentiful ammo I'd opt for a 22-250 if varmints are all you're after. I've had a 7mm saum, 7mm-08, 243,and a 17 Remington in a Model Seven.

Last edited by Showdog75; 07/09/19.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Model 7 in a stainless 223 is a nice handling rig
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Dunno. I have the predator model with a heavier barrel and 9 twist and its been good. I like the balance but maybe go check one out first

For factory, this would be my pick also. I have had several Model 7 rifles with heavier barrels put on, from Mod 700 take off barrels to custom, fast twists. While you are at it, try out a Kepplinger Single Set trigger too!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AJD
I know the 7s are butt heavy and barrel lite, what else should I know about them?

Search forum wasn't any help.

Thanks,
AJD

Since my Kimber Mt .223 arrived yesterday...you'd have a hard time convincing me to try a different one at this point.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AJD

AJD

Don't see any reason why not. My luck with M7s has been good...and even if its a slow twist there's lots of good premium "deer" bullets that will work well in a 1 in 12

Go for it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tzone

Since my Kimber Mt .223 arrived yesterday...you'd have a hard time convincing me to try a different one at this point.

Tom..let us know how that Kimber works for you...I'm still waiting for them to turn the corner on their issues...seems like when a guy gets a good one, its a REAL good one!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Had Five Or Six Over The Years. Last One I Had.I Sold It To Davidontheridge. It Was a Hammer. Wish I Had It Back.. I Like The Newer Stocked Ones Better Than The Older Stocked Ones.Also The New Stocked Ones Are 25-27 Oz Vs The Old Black 32-34 Oz. Ones.I'd Run One And Be Happy..

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by tzone

Tom..let us know how that Kimber works for you...I'm still waiting for them to turn the corner on their issues...seems like when a guy gets a good one, its a REAL good one!

I will for sure Tom.

I had a Kimber Hunter last fall and it shot nice little groups. I may get another here this fall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an older 1-12" ROT 20" stainless Model Seven that I bedded in a laminated mannlicher stock as the mate to a 260 set up the same way. I originally bought it to replace a 660 in 222, as I wanted a short stainless walking predator rifle and this rifle has done well in that role. I don't have any need to shoot long, heavy, VLD bullets at called predator ranges, so this rifle has worked well with 55 and 60 grain VMax..

I don't care for balance of the 18.5" and 20" Model Sevens, but you're aware of and apparently not bothered by the butt-heavy issue. Like most rifles, they benefit from an upgraded stock. If weight isn't an issue for you, a Weatherguard V2 with the barrel chopped from 24" to 20" might be a less expensive option and, IMO, the V2s currently have the best factory issued synthetic stock design.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[/quote]

Don't see any reason why not. My luck with M7s has been good...and even if its a slow twist there's lots of good premium "deer" bullets that will work well in a 1 in 12

Go for it![/quote]

I was thinking these are 9 twist barrels?

A Kimber MT would be nice, I did find a Deluxe Classic in 223, but no MTs.

260Remguy I'll have to check it out. Has the barrel contour changed on these? Website says a 20" magnum contour barrel?

I need to rethink this.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AJD

Go for it![/quote]

I was thinking these are 9 twist barrels?

A Kimber MT would be nice, I did find a Deluxe Classic in 223, but no MTs.

260Remguy I'll have to check it out. Has the barrel contour changed on these? Website says a 20" magnum contour barrel?

I need to rethink this.
[/quote]

You won't find a Kimber MT on their website. for some stupid reason they've discontinued it. IF that's the route you go, and I recommend it...Check out Whitakers. They're top notch, easy to deal with and the prices pretty much can't be beat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.