Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've never gone on the offensive against poison ivy before. I just learned to avoid it.

But that's changed. I bought 4 gallons of 43% glyphosate,.. been mixing it 18 ounces to 2 gallons of water,..and every couple of days for the past week or so I take my 2 gallon sprayer and go in search of it.

I saw how much of that stuff was growing on my 5 acre patch last year and I just thought there was too much of it to tackle. But this year, I've decided to make it a routine to go on search and destroy missions to rid my place of it.

It's difficult to get to some of it because it grows in the shade of brush,..so I've got to climb up inside the grown up areas of my place to get to it.

I've made about 4 swoops of the place so far and today I noticed that it's getting hard to find any that isn't in the process of dying from my previous applications of weed killer.

I know I'll never be able to completely eradicate it. But I'm going to appreciably thin it out.

It helps that I'm able to spot it so well. I got wrecked a couple of times by poison ivy when I was a kid and I learned to spot it at an early age. One sprig of poison ivy can be growing in a patch of Virginia creeper and I can lock onto it.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Come down here and get all that schit around my stomping grounds when you’re done if you find yourself bored. I hate that stuff with a passion, have already had two bad cases of it this year from hunting turkeys and arrowheads.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
Come down here and get all that schit around my stomping grounds when you’re done if you find yourself bored. I hate that stuff with a passion, have already had two bad cases of it this year from hunting turkeys and arrowheads.

I know how that can be. You've got to learn to spot it. As mentioned, it made a mess of me a couple of times when I was a kid and I learned to pick it out from everything growing around it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate that when turkey hunting. Seems like it is all over the place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
every spring when the grass is come in but its not to hot, i put on long pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves and a hat and go around ripping that stuff up

it still comes back, over time I've learned to aim the weed eater away from when I hit it, then when I finish i come inside and scrub my face and neck.

hate that stuff

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a bunch of poison oak growing out of an hollow old growth stump on my old place. Waited till winter in a rain storm when I was sure everyone was inside and threw a bunch of firewood down the hole, lit er up, and threw some drywall over the top. Cooked that schit alive and never came back. Made me smile.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is no question about it, you can eliminate it, you just have to keep at it. When you think you have it all take a break for a couple of weeks and go looking for it again.

I have faith Brother.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
every spring when the grass is come in but its not to hot, i put on long pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves and a hat and go around ripping that stuff up

it still comes back, over time I've learned to aim the weed eater away from when I hit it, then when I finish i come inside and scrub my face and neck.

hate that stuff

Get a 2 gallon spray bottle and some glyphosate concentrate. It kills it at the roots. It'll kill everything else it touches, however. So you need to concentrate on only putting it where you want it to go.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Sumac is the worst.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can avoid killing everything in an area when killing poison oak if you make a hockey stick shaped pvc applicator. The top end of the stick has a screw plug, the bottom of the stick has some small holes drilled in it and a car wash mitt zip tied around it. Roundup drips outa the stick into the mitt, wipe it across the tops of the leaves and you won't kill nothin you don't want to.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure what variety we have up here but a little Outlaw wilts it down fast.

I believe Outlaw is a version of Banvel?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
stuff eats me alive! I've become a expert at spotting it

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm not sure what variety we have up here but a little Outlaw wilts it down fast.

I believe Outlaw is a version of Banvel?

Glyphosate does a good job. But it takes a couple of days to see that it's working. That premixed poison ivy killer is glyphosate mixed with some type of defoliant and it will pucker it up overnight. But good old glyphosate will take it out all by itself. The results are just not as immediate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn’t have great luck with glyphosate here since poison ivy is a woody plant. Brush killer does the trick though. Had a big patch that hit the dust when I borrowed a tractor with a squirrel cage blower on the back, covered 50-60 ft at a swath

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I was a kid I had it all over my body at different times. Now 63 years old, I can roll in and have no problems. Go figure.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get some Hyvar XL

It won't come back for a year or more. If ever.

Special note* you won't be able plant termator plants anywhere near there for a couple years. laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This has been an extremely bad year for poison ivy in my neck of the woods. Like you, I spotted it early and did weekly search and destroy missions also. I've got it wiped out. Of course, I'm not dealing with 5 acres but me and the Round Up laid it low.

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in a similar battle with wild parsnip. It spreads like wild fire and in the last 5 years its taken over every ditch and CRP field in Iowa. I have som nice CRP planted in native wild flowers and grasses that I'm trying to save. I'm also getting Canadian thistles and common mullins as well.. i put a 15 gallon sprayer on my ATV and spray from it. I use some pasture spray I get at Tractor Supply .

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have good fences, goats love the stuff and they're immune to it. They'll clean it right up. Just don't pet them after they've been wallowing in it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Keep at it, eventually you’ll get the majority of it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 65 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.