Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 30-06 and a .264 Win Mag. I've thought about buying a new rifle to elk hunt with, and that would be fun, but it's probably money better spent on other hunting stuff. My dad left me his Weatherby 30-06 Vanguard. It's the high gloss stock and highly polished blued version. The stock is beautiful, but very shiny and heavy. The rifle shoots well. If I was going to use it I would probably replace the scope and buy a McMillan Edge for it to reduce the weight. On the other hand, I have a Remington Classic . 264 that I have been hunting deer with since 1986. It's a tried and true killer and like an old friend to me. It's pretty heavy as it's wearing a VX6. I could hunt with it as, is or buy a lighter scope or buy a lighter scope and a McMillan for it and have a much lighter rifle. Anyway, if you had to choose to hunt elk with either a 30-06 or .264 Win Mag, both good shooting rifles, which would you choose?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
take the 264 Win. Mag for your main rifle and take the 30-06 for a back up rifle

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depends on where I was hunting ... cover, distance ... etc. For fairly open country I'd use the .264. In timber I'd use the '06. Sounds like you need to prep 'em both and take 'em both.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
30-06 without a doubt. More selection of whatever bullet you want to hunt with. It will do what ever needs to be done .If the shiny bothers you get some camo tape and cover it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I love the Model 700 Classics, my current Classic is in .270 Win. If it "were me", I'd trick out the Classic and keep the 30-06 as a spare. You might even put a synthetic stock on it if the Vanguard's wood has nice features. I'd get some Vortex 168 TTSX, zero it +2 at 100 and kill something with it when the weather/hunt isn't so rugged. The .264 with the 127 or 120 Barnes, set up in a synthetic with a 2x8 or 3x9 or similar, good to go!
Now, if you want to make some memories with your dad's old rifle, put it in a nice synthetic/smaller scope, and use paste wax ( leave unbuffed) on the metal. If you handload, then work up a good hot load with the Nosler 200 Partition or Accubond. Keep the .264 "as is" for a spare. Let us know which one you decide on Pard! smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both would do just fine. Flip a coin. If getting either marked up would stress you, take the other.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The cartridge choice is a coin flip.

The tool is the choice.

Easier to trick out the Remington with an Edge or find a 1st gen Ti stock.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What Pete. Said!!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have a Remington Classic . 264 that I have been hunting deer with since 1986. It's a tried and true killer and like an old friend to me.

You’ve answered your own question. As others have said, drop it in a light fiberglass stock, and put a lighter scope on top in Talley Lwt’s. Get a Butler Creek Mountain Sling for it and you’ll be GTG.

Cartridge is irrelevant. Familiarity and confidence are more important. And less is more when it comes to weight in an elk rifle for most situations.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm with Pete53 - take both. Use the one you are most familiar with as choice #1, the other is a backup. It sounds like you are most comfortable with the your Remington Classic, so there you go. A 140 grain Partitiion will do the job in the 264 on any elk.

I hunted elk in Colorado last November, and took two 30-06s. One was a "beater" Sears Model 53 (aka post-64 Model 70) I bought from a friend who is too old to hunt. I had worked on the rifle before I bought it, then shot it a lot all spring and summer. I was very familiar with it.

The other was a new rifle which cost twice as much. I wasn't as familiar with it, but I figured it was OK, so I took it along. On opening morning, I had trouble with the new rifle, so it sat in its case in the camper for the whole hunt, and I hunted with the beater. When I got home, I fixed the problem with the new rifle. Now it is fine, but I'm glad I had a second rifle along I had confidence in.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm at a different phase of life. Has your Dad passed? If so, I would hunt with his rifle----just the way he did and the way he gave it to you. He's with you on the adventure. That's just the way I think now. I've killed enough deer & elk but getting to hunt with Dad's memories is where it's at for me.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
30-06

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take both unless you are hunting locally.

I'd hunt with the one that was lightest on my shoulder.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take both, use a partition or equivalent, most elk are in heavy timber and close shots. the VX6 nice scope, leave it as is. You could do something with the stocks.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Either is serviceable. I like the .264WM with the 160gr PP version of the Weldcore. It has penetration on par with a premium 200gr in the .30-06, but far better trajectory.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd restock your 264 and keep your dad's as is, with your dad's rifle holding a lot of memories I'd want to leave it the way he used it and enjoy it on other hunts, get "your" .264 rifle set up just how you want it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm at a different phase of life. Has your Dad passed? If so, I would hunt with his rifle----just the way he did and the way he gave it to you. He's with you on the adventure. That's just the way I think now. I've killed enough deer & elk but getting to hunt with Dad's memories is where it's at for me.

I like this

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by colorado bob

I like this

On the notion of hunting with Dad's rifle as is. Did Dad haul his rifle in the mountains hunting elk? Regardless of the answer though, perhaps you can keep his looking the way it did, but lighten his wood stock. You might hunt more with it that way. With that in mind, here's a link: Wood stock weight reduction.

Also, would not think it a horrible compromise to take some of the shine off Dad's stock to a satin finish.

Knocking Down RKW Finish on Remingtons

Dulling A Shiny Stock???

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, my dad has passed; however, he really didn't use the Weatherby much as he was a bird hunter more than a deer hunter. I think the only thing he ever killed with the Weatherby is a hog, but his model 12 shotgun is a different story - it's one of those guns that he used all his life and killed hundreds of mallards with on the Platte river when we lived in Colorado. He did love the Weatherby though because it has a very unique blond stock with a very dark patch of walnut at the last five inches of the buttstock. The Weatherby is beautiful, but I find it heavy and clunky. I would like to put the rifle to use though, just so that I could say I kept it going instead of having it just sit in the safe. I am going to pass it on to my son who thinks the stock looks cool. The Weatherby needs a new trigger as the one it has is pretty rough.

The .264 Classic is simply a killing machine and I have taken about 200 deer with it. I have purchased many rifles thinking I would use something else, but nothing is as familiar, trusted and comfortable as the 264 Classic is to me, so I have sold everything else and it's all I own now except my dad's 30-06.

I think what I will do is plan on taking both when I hunt elk, but plan a special cow elk hunt sometime in the future with my son and I can take my dad's rifle, high gloss stock and all, and kill a cow elk with it while I am hunting with my son. This way my son will have some memories with me and my dad's rifle during the late season, snow covered mountains of Colorado or whatever state we end up hunting in.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My Wby has a Timney.

I’d get it into a McM edge stock, save the pretty one.

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.