Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
In the Gunwriter's forum, there is a thread about Savage Model 99s - would they make reproductions, how many would buy them, etc. That piqued my curiosity and I checked the Cabelas Canada availability for Model 94s. For $1670 + tax, you can own a new production 30-30. My questions:

First, would you hunt using the 30-30 cartridge, regardless of rifle platform?
Second, would you pay $1670 + tax for a reproduction Model 94?

I wouldn't, but I am curious what your feelings are.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/36812/winchester-model-94-sporter-lever-action-rifle

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been hunting with the .30-30 since '84. The first is a Model 94 Trapper and #2 is a Contender. Nothing broken with that cartridge that needs to be fixed though it has limitations like any of the rest. The former is a very functional brush gun that I have full confidence in out to 150 yards or so. I find the Contender sufficiently precise that I'd use it on deer out to 250 yards or a bit more if I found the opportunity here in the swamps.

Wouldn't pay that much for a '94 though....don't need 2.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know what you mean. The 30-30 continues to be popular, not because of glitz, but simply because it gets the job done.

I have a Mossberg 464 and a 30-30 Contender. If I wanted another 30-30 lever though, it wouldn't be a Model 94. New, these are almost $1900 Cdn! There are enough used 94s around at $700 (crazy, I know) that would scratch that itch. And frankly, I'd like an original anyway.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
First, Steve, of course I would hunt with a .30-30. (Although I prefer the.303 Savage).

Second, your post piqued my interest. Doing a little research, I see that the 94 of interest has an msrp of abute $1400 in US dollars. Would I pay that for one? Some days I might for one in .38-55, but not if they’re made in Japan.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

First, would you hunt using the 30-30 cartridge, regardless of rifle platform? YES
Second, would you pay $1670 + tax for a reproduction Model 94? NOT IF IT'S MADE OVERSEAS

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have two Winchester 94's already and yes I've hunted with them since I bought the first in 1982. Both say "Made in New Haven Conn. USA". Wouldn't buy one that was made anywhere else.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the ad says only sold in Canada.. its made in Japan,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love my Model 94 30-30 Trapper with the 16” bbl. Handy little pig killing carbine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hubert
the ad says only sold in Canada.. its made in Japan,

That's because it is illegal to export firearms from Canada without a permit. It's the same if I contacted a US gun shop and asked them ship it directly to me in Canada.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
with the exception of a few nostalgia seekers, the days of the lever action is behind us. Once folks learned that making the first shot count is far better than having up to seven quick follow up shots, the bolt action became king of the deer hunting woods......and I suspect will continue to be just that.

My Browning M-65 in .218 bee is my nostalgia gun.....other than that, I can find no practical reason to own a lever gun....even though the old Winchester M-88 has peaked my interest, it's not getting good reviews on another forum.

I grew up with a Marlin M-39-A and a Savage M-99......I later owned a M-94 in .30-30 and a M-92 in .25-20. Then I discovered the M-70 and have never looked back

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by vapodog
with the exception of a few nostalgia seekers, the days of the lever action is behind us. Once folks learned that making the first shot count is far better than having up to seven quick follow up shots, the bolt action became king of the deer hunting woods......and I suspect will continue to be just that.

My Browning M-65 in .218 bee is my nostalgia gun.....other than that, I can find no practical reason to own a lever gun....even though the old Winchester M-88 has peaked my interest, it's not getting good reviews on another forum.

I grew up with a Marlin M-39-A and a Savage M-99......I later owned a M-94 in .30-30 and a M-92 in .25-20. Then I discovered the M-70 and have never looked back

I respectfully disagree. I hunt often with a bolt gun or Ruger No. 1, but they can’t match my Marlins or my 99’s for ease of carrying and handling when long days on foot in the woods is the plan.

Mathew 22: 37-39

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My FIL fed 7 kids with a m94 30-30.......to bad they didn't expand on the chambering, as my m94 is a 307win, and my go to whitetail rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by vapodog

I respectfully disagree. I hunt often with a bolt gun or Ruger No. 1, but they can’t match my Marlins or my 99’s for ease of carrying and handling when long days on foot in the woods is the plan.
Absolutely. No bolt action carries as well as a M94 or 336. None. Bolt guns are just too fat at the balance point and that applies even to very light weight bolt guns. Bolt actions offer no real advantage to a whtetail hunter who is strictly a woods hunter. They gained popularity for such because most hunters today sit on their ass in a stand and still hunting and tracking are becoming lost arts. The supposed accuracy advantage of a bolt gun is also of no advantage whatsoever to a woods hunter. Both of my M94's will group inside 2" at 100 yards and my 336 is a solid sub MOA performer. Either will dependably take any whtetail in the woods with a single shot. A fact I have demonstrated roughly 80 times over the years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uberti also makes replica 94s now. Only one I've seen (online) is a carbine, in .30/30 and IIRC .38/55. Worth a look if you can't find an original to your liking, but they cost a bunch too.

An LGS had a really nice M64 for sale, but alas my funds were otherwise engaged. $899!

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/13/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
In the Gunwriter's forum, there is a thread about Savage Model 99s - would they make reproductions, how many would buy them, etc. That piqued my curiosity and I checked the Cabelas Canada availability for Model 94s. For $1670 + tax, you can own a new production 30-30. My questions:

First, would you hunt using the 30-30 cartridge, regardless of rifle platform?
Second, would you pay $1670 + tax for a reproduction Model 94?

I wouldn't, but I am curious what your feelings are.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/36812/winchester-model-94-sporter-lever-action-rifle

[Linked Image]

First..yeah I'd hunt with a .30-30 ( I have...many times...and successfully...)
And Second: NO I wouldnt pay that for a repro with an Angle-eject receiver, redundant tang safety etc.

Theres still plenty of vintage M94s out there, even pre-64s for less than the price of that comical POS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another good purchase I made and being at the right place at the right time...

right before Winchester was going to quit making the Model 94, I picked up one at a local retailer LGS... that had ordered a couple of them in, at a good price since they were being discontinued...

Got a full length magazine in their Legacy model, with a 26 inch barrel.

Paid $300 for it, new in the box....

then they weren't in production for a year or two, and then brought the same ones back out...

with a $1300 price tag...

it'll probably be for sale right after I drop dead....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
Good afternoon sir, I trust all is well in your part of the world this mild July afternoon.

In my view you're right on regarding why folks aren't lining up for new '94's - there's still a good supply on the used market - many of which are in fine shape.

Up here they're going for roughly $350-$450 for a very nice post '64 and pre '64 versions go for $500 on up depending upon condition.

I want to say John Barsness has mentioned something similar about Savage 99's too in that there's enough on the market to keep anyone interested in getting one happy.

Lastly, I have to agree with your thoughts on the safety. I actually picked up an Italian - Chiappa - '92 copy instead of a Winchester or even Rossi because I just could not get past the silly safety on them.

All the best to you folks ingwe and good luck on your upcoming fishing trip too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I wanted a 30/30 like load I just produced one for my 06 using the 170 gr. bullet and a low charge of I4895 powder. Took a deer just fine. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on something overpriced.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt with my 3030 more and more. it is a leaver action but it is a mod. 99 savage. fits in the hands equal or better than a mod. 94. haven said that I do have 2 94s a 3855 made in 1897 and a trapper in 45 colt. made before the safety thingy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BC30cal
ingwe;
Good afternoon sir, I trust all is well in your part of the world this mild July afternoon.

In my view you're right on regarding why folks aren't lining up for new '94's - there's still a good supply on the used market - many of which are in fine shape.

Up here they're going for roughly $350-$450 for a very nice post '64 and pre '64 versions go for $500 on up depending upon condition.

I want to say John Barsness has mentioned something similar about Savage 99's too in that there's enough on the market to keep anyone interested in getting one happy.

Lastly, I have to agree with your thoughts on the safety. I actually picked up an Italian - Chiappa - '92 copy instead of a Winchester or even Rossi because I just could not get past the silly safety on them.

All the best to you folks ingwe and good luck on your upcoming fishing trip too.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne! You're spot on concerning the Winchesters!

Looking forward to getting up amongst your people again!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.