Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Huh, Cuisinart has one with a ice pack like bowl you put into the Freezer over night and them make the ice cream - it’s got tons of good reviews...

Fer city folk who don’t want to screw with ice & salt that might be the ticket.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hints:
Use artificial vanilla. Real vanilla is largely alcohol - an antifreeze.

To save calories, don't substitute Xylitol for sugar. It's a crystalline alcohol - another antifreeze

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ice cream makers - are they worth screwing with ?

Post a pick of the ice cream maker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Huh, Cuisinart has one with a ice pack like bowl you put into the Freezer over night and them make the ice cream - it’s got tons of good reviews...

We have one of those. It works fine and makes less mess but it only makes about a quart at a time.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’ve never tried using one - but curious...

Thoughts ?

Yes

But only for special occasions.

If you got a peach tree, you better fugking believe it.

If you like Wendys choc frosty, you can make it in a home machine.

Makes a mess, takes 2 hours, and the result is runny-soupy mostly. Only good to eat it all up right then and there with family and friends.

If you try to refreeze the home product, it goes solid as a rock.

Homemade peach ice cream is the bomb! Good stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We grew up on a farm, my mom had access to real cream, eggs, so she make it often. I’m sure it wasn’t low calorie though. 😁

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
A friend used to manage the dairy section of the local SuperValu store. He could special order ice cream mix during the summer. Top of the line was a 10% butter fat mix that was almost as good out of the jug as it was out of the freezer. AS others noted, adding fresh picked fruit ups the tastiness. Just be aware, while fresh picked blackberries are tasty, they turn into little "rocks" in your ice cream when they freeze.

My preference is to make home made vanilla ice cream to put on top of the hot fresh picked black berry cobbler...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'd need 5 kitchens to store all the friggin' appliances that are supposed to make our lives easier. What a PITA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Hints:
Use artificial vanilla. Real vanilla is largely alcohol - an antifreeze.

To save calories, don't substitute Xylitol for sugar. It's a crystalline alcohol - another antifreeze

A teaspoon of vanilla is going to affect the freezing point of a quart of ice cream? Really?

Laughing!

Six teaspoons to the ounce, so a quart of ice cream will be roughly .5% vanilla at 80 proof. Freezing point is -17F of vanilla. Blending the freezing point of 192 parts ice cream at about 28F with 1 part vanilla means you are going to depress the freeze temp by about a quarter degree.

And you give up the obvious difference in taste by adding junk...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For the recipie, just remember M.E.S.S.

MILK
EGGS
SALT
SUGAR

Almost all ice cream is a variation on that basic formula. Yes, the ones using egg need a little cooking to minimize the bacteria content, but that's done only to about the 'Pasteurize" point, not actually boiling. I use Half and Half for the "milk" part, plus a good quantity of heavy cream or whipping cream. Real Vanilla extract from a friend whose wife brings it home from her native Mexico- - - -better than anything thsat's available from the local stores, and whatever fresh fruit is available. Peaches, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. Even Bing cherries, pitted and sliced in half are a good change of pace.

Dang- - - -now I'm starving!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Not for me, I just try to buy the highest quality ice cream available.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes,make some. an our favorite flavors

gram cracker,1 pack
soft batch choc chip cookies.half a pack of crumbled cookies

dry ingredients added will make ice cream faster and make it thicker than wet fruit.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

What's it make, a quart? That'd be ok for some, but when I make ice cream it's usually for something special. Like a birthday, reunion, small church gathering, etc. For that I need many quarts. I've made ice cream for my kids graduation and a wedding. I made a lot for that wedding. Every now and again, I might just make some just to make some. When that happens I gain about 5 pounds before it's gone and think, "I'll never to that again", until I do.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sweetheart makes delicious ice cream here - definitely worth that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

Last father's day...

If you have kids or grandkids, it will be one of those memories that last a lifetime. As a kid in the 60s we had an old hand crank, big family get togethers there were enough cousins. Today I have a vintage Frost King 5 qt, electric.

Let the kids make the ice cream, they love it.

If it's too soft, leave it in the ice or do what I do and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Kent

When I was a youngster, we visited all of the grandparents and great grandparents every Sunday.

One of them would ALWAYS have the hand crank ice cream maker out. It was such great fun for the children to crank on the ice cream maker.

That was 50 years ago. And such fond memories for me.

This year for independence day, my mother started the tradition again. All of the grandchildren had never seen such a device and had a blast
making ice cream.

Something that will build cherished memories for the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren of my parents.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
After we wore the regular ice cream maker out,we bought the cusinart one. Fresh peach ice cream with peach cobbler done in the dutch oven all topped with sweet cream is hard to beat

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.