Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have had good results with Purina Pro Plan Sport. They also get meat table scraps and or some meat or whatever type of bird I have available. They even eat sage grouse on the occasion that I shoot one for them. I cook all the meat they get except for wild bird hearts, gizzard and liver while I clean them.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife thinks I over indulge my dog, but I don't care. Our neighbor has chickens and ducks and give us 3 dozen eggs a week for putting up with them in our yard. We eat half of them and the dogs eat the other half. They prefer green beans, but get carrots, asparagus, kale, or spinach at time too. They still get mostly dry dog food, but I try to supplement enough to get them vitamins and protein from other sources. When they do get meat scraps, I serve them medium rare, mostly to kill anything that might be on the outside of the meat. The eggwhites are cooked with the yolk runny.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Afterbirth, road kill and dead cow debris.

You left out goose, rabbit and moose shidt.

Ha! I was telling my wife just last night on our walk, when the Lab mix cme back with mooseshit breath that if we had more wildlife around, we could quit buying dog food. The 4 month old Dachshund prefers birdshit.

We are feeding Taste of the Wild - seems to be doing good. Used to feed canine caviar, but it's $10 a bag more expensive, tho a good food also.

My last Lab got sick every time he had a Kirkland dog biscuit (milkbone type) I won't buy them anymore, and they are more expensive that Milkbone anyway at Costco.

Last edited by las; 07/12/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee, I dunno. Always had good results feeding Purina store brand. Would probably go with their higher protein mix if my dogs worked hard. Purina has their own nutritional scientists and make their own products, not contracted out to China. And the product is made to meet the requirements of dogs, not the esthetic sensibilities of their owners.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read the original articles relating to this latest health scare and it looks like some pretty poor science based on some pretty weak data. It is more speculation than fact.
My faith in the medias ability to deliver the facts remains on the skeptical side.
Think you are making a poor decision, if you change your heretofore successful feeding practices, based on this recent "news."

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We feed our lab mix wellness.

living the good life every day
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Orijen Original for my wife’s papillons, Orijen Regional Red for my Chessie. Expensive, but very high nutrient density and provides outstanding results. All their varieties are grain free.

I fed taste of the wild for a couple of years but my dog’s foot would swell sometimes...vet figured a food allergy. Switched to Orijen and life is good...five years problem free.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Purina Pro Plan Venison and Turkey (or something like that) high-protein.

Any high-protein dog food that lists a meat product as its first ingredient is good to go.

All farm dogs and wild coyotes eat grains (especially corn) on a regular basis, by their own choice. It's not bad for them, only when fed exclusively and in excess. Canines are very close to omnivorous in the wild so long as they have significant amounts of meat included.

The best food for any dog is a high-protein meat-based variety, and feed less of it on a once-a-day schedule. Brand literally does not matter.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Currently using 4health but that made a list for the possibility of heart problems. My dog is very important to me. What should I buy.

This is how I feed my dogs.

Give Your Dog A Bone

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
After killing our Rowdy with kindness, and all the table scraps he would eat, we asked our vet. They recommend Purina Pro Plan.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
After killing our Rowdy with kindness, and all the table scraps he would eat, we asked our vet. They recommend Purina Pro Plan.

Seems counterintuitive, but a vet is usually the last person you'd want to take advice from when it comes to a proper diet for your dog. They receive their dog nutrition training from representatives of the commercial dog food industry.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Seems counterintuitive, but a vet is usually the last person you'd want to take advice from when it comes to a proper diet for your dog. They receive their dog nutrition training from representatives of the commercial dog food industry.

Yeah, for sure wouldn't expect a DVM to have any training about what may be good or bad for things like heart, kidneys, liver, muscle, bone, eyes or brain or anything else. That just doesn't make sense at all!. Stick to anti-semitic commentary, you're better at that.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I tend to be hip to all the scams going on, Miles.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ribka
Taste of the wild
And
Supplement with some raw meats

The Costco grain free Brand been very good too

Throw in some good quality raw meats a few times a week

Had all three of my dogs on that stuff. Vet told me to get them off immediately. Food should contain Taurine..Fromm Gold small and large breed is what I am putting them on.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Won't own a dog that won't eat Purina Dog Chow, our Pugle gets fed that and MIlk Bones and Cheerios for treats. Sometimes he gets leftover veggies and meat scraps, he's healthy as a horse walks a mile every day with me sometimes 2-3 miles.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I adopted that white dog in my Avatar when she was about a year old. Wanting her to have the best diet available, I researched it, and decided that the best available commercial kibble at the time was Orijen (which vets liked very much). That's what I fed her for a couple of years.

Gradually, she had increasing difficulty jumping up onto my bed (which is a high bed), eventually being unable to so at all, whereas she had zero difficulty at first (Youth is a powerful force in maintaining good health, almost regardless of diet). Eventually, at about age three, she tore her ACL (confirmed by vet X-Ray, in dogs referred to as a CCL tear) just running around and playing in the yard. My vet said that he didn't recommend surgery, and that I should just get used to the idea of owning a lame dog for the remainder of her life. Just restrict her activity, and take her on slow walks every day, he said.

In addition to that, she was a chronic, massive, shedder. Her fur was constantly shedding profusely.

Instead of following the vet's advice, however, I researched dog nutrition, and eventually discovered the raw dog food diet movement. The arguments all seemed sound, so I gave it a try.

Almost immediately, the shedding stopped cold. Within a few months, she was able to effortlessly jump onto the high bed, and had zero sign of an ACL tear (this was six years ago, when she was three), or any sort of lameness whatsoever. She's now nine and is the very image of vibrant, youthful, health, with zero lameness and super healthy fur.

My own experience convinced me, and confirmed what I was reading about the commercial dog food industry and the raw meat, bone, and organ diet for dogs.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My vet , who raises hunting dogs, recommended those brands plus some raw good quality meat. I keep scraps from deer elk and antelope and freeze for dog food.

I can a bunch of meat scraps from animals harvested and throw in a bunch of veggies in the jars too. I take these on bird hunting trips.

All my bird hunting dogs have lived past 13 years with no health problems. I was hiking with my griff in the mountains yesterday and she was wearing a gps collar. I went about 10 miles and she did around 28 miles according to gps. We kicked up a lot of blue grouse which is promising.

When bird and duck hunting season ramps up shell average around 50 to 60 miles a week busting brush for quail, grouse running up steep rocky hills after chukar and swimming for ducks And geese. Bird dogs are like athletes and need really good quality food.

Frommes is good . I live rural with and difficult for me to get.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by ribka
Taste of the wild
And
Supplement with some raw meats

The Costco grain free Brand been very good too

Throw in some good quality raw meats a few times a week

Had all three of my dogs on that stuff. Vet told me to get them off immediately. Food should contain Taurine..Fromm Gold small and large breed is what I am putting them on.

Last edited by ribka; 07/13/19.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Check out this site. Unbiased review of all the dog foods out there. I switched to Victor red...great results.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's a typical dog meal in my home. Chicken whole leg, bone and skin; small piece of frozen, raw, beef liver (to the left of the green stuff); a fist full of frozen berries; a piece of raw pig tail (bone in); a fish oil capsule that they love the taste of, so they eagerly eat it without my needing to hide it in anything; and the green stuff is a mix of ground up vegetables and fruits, to approximate the stomach content of small game animals (Grain Free Fruit and Veggie Base Mix, available from The Honest Kitchen).

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For anyone who's queasy about feeding raw bones, dogs are equipped by 40 million years of evolution to be bone processing machines. But only raw bones. Cooked bones are actually quite risky and harmful.

Also, weight supporting bones from animals larger than a turkey are too likely to injure a dog's teeth, so not recommended. Ribs, sternums, and spines are good from larger animals up to cattle.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.