Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger
I found that 6 rapidly fired shots from a model 19 and cast bullets not to be as effective as I wished for rattle snake application. Ask my how high I can jump and how far, with my jeans around my ankles and me in a crouching position.
There are lots of workable options in pistols, for snakes. The Governor is beyond workable and the best option. The model 19 is a great gun, but it don't fire 410's.

The Judge would be great if it worked.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not a spot for a big macho 440 grain heat treated extra wide meplat fired from a .477 Wristenbreakur. In some situations shot shells rule.

[Linked Image]

I could never make myself buy a Judge, they just had a clunky feel to me.
I looked at a Governor the other day & it appeared that S&W had put as much effort into the fit and finish of that gun as anything they've made in quite some time. If the dogs build back up at the place I used to go, I will have a Governor next trip. Probably as important or more useful than a large percentage of the handguns I have.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Speaking of snakes, just last night (right after dark) I went out back to lock up my chickens, and as I reached for the gate to the hen house area, I noticed a fairly large Florida Corn Snake along the top length of it. I almost put my hand right on it, in the low light (I had the head lamp set to low power). Not something I would want to eliminate, though, since they are harmless, and I don't think I've ever even lost an egg to one, so I just gently poked it till it slithered along and hopped to a nearby tree branch.

PS One of my dogs kills these things on sight like a flash of lightning. One second it's coiled up in defensive posture, and the next second it's headless or its head is hanging off it. You can't even hardly see her move, she's so fast on snakes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
Not a spot for a big macho 440 grain heat treated extra wide meplat fired from a .477 Wristenbreakur. In some situations shot shells rule.

[Linked Image]

I looked at a Governor the other day & it appeared that S&W had put as much effort into the fit and finish of that gun as anything they've made in quite some time. If the dogs build back up at the place I used to go, I will have a Governor next trip. Probably as important or more useful than a large percentage of the handguns I have.

So did you shoot that rattler right there and then?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Bugger
I found that 6 rapidly fired shots from a model 19 and cast bullets not to be as effective as I wished for rattle snake application. Ask my how high I can jump and how far, with my jeans around my ankles and me in a crouching position.

Were you taking a dump or did it have something to do with your username??? smile

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by gunzo

[Linked Image]

So did you shoot that rattler right there and then?

Yes, No longer made Remington 45 acp #12 shotshell load. A solid projectile would have been out of the question in that location I think.

A pic taken as it happened but a few minutes after the actual shooting of the snake that had already struck at my friends leg. It was coiled back up & wanted to get somebody really bad. But just after the shot we had to catch my friend,, calm him down & check him for punctures. After that morning we no longer piled rifle cases all over the ground & kept the truck doors closed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There are lots of workable options in pistols, for snakes. The Governor is beyond workable and the best option. The model 19 is a great gun, but it don't fire 410's.

The .410 is mostly overkill for snakes at close range. The model 19 is ideal for the purpose. Even a J-frame .38 is awesome.

I was crawling under a fence into the old family cemetery plot near Ravenden a few years ago. My ears are bad and I can't hear them rattle, but as I turned my head I saw the blur of a tail about 2' from my face. One shot from a Charter Arms .22 with CCI shot loads calmed things down right now.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If only CCI made a load to eliminate mosquitos...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mine shoots 45acps as good as any revolver ive ever fired. 45 colts arent as accurate. Mine rides in my truck and then when i go out in boat i throw bird shot in it for snakes

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

The .410 is mostly overkill for snakes at close range. The model 19 is ideal for the purpose. Even a J-frame .38 is awesome.

I was crawling under a fence into the old family cemetery plot near Ravenden a few years ago. My ears are bad and I can't hear them rattle, but as I turned my head I saw the blur of a tail about 2' from my face. One shot from a Charter Arms .22 with CCI shot loads calmed things down right now.

Give me overkill every time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bluestem

Give me overkill every time.
Me too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

https://www.thermacell.com

These products work on mosquitos.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.