G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Simply Rugged holster review
July 13, 2019

Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for Ruger Bisley Blackhawk (“big frame”) 5-1/2” barrel.

Things I like:
- The “oxblood” color is, IMO, beautiful. (And being an Orangeblood Univeristy of Texas Longhorn, I’m usually not partial to anything close to Texas A&M maroon.)
- Leather quality and thickness are very good.
- Quality of construction is very good.
- I like how the holster retains the revolver adequately without the need for straps, hammer thongs, or what have you.
- The holster protects the adjustable sights very well.

Things I don’t like:
- I wish the holster carried the gun with the cylinder above the top of the belt in the strong side position. I believe this would make it much more comfortable. It does carry the gun with the cylinder above the belt in the cross-draw position. Thankfully, this is the carry position I am most likely to use anyway.

I have an old Roy Baker Pancake for a 6-1/2” Ruger. This holster carries the cylinder above the belt in both positions. I wish Rob at Simply Rugged would consider this belt slot arrangement, but I believe he would need to change the profile shape a bit to use this slot arrangement. (I’d use the Roy Baker, but it doesn’t retain the revolver well enough without the thumbsnap, and the thumbsnap doesn’t work with the Bisley grip and hammer. I won’t modify the holster, as it is almost a collector’s item that is in very good shape. Also, the Baker does a poor job of protecting the adjustable sights.)

- The stitching pattern of the Simply Rugged has a “constriction” or narrow spot that the barrel, ejector rod housing, and front sight must pass through as the gun is drawn. This causes the front sight to pick up a bit of “leather dust” on every draw. I even smoothed the edges of the sight a bit to try to prevent this, but to no avail. I hope this ceases in time. I guess we’ll see.

This constriction also causes binding if the revolver is not pulled straight out of the holster. The more you rotate the revolver halfway through the draw, the worse the binding is. This only happens if you rotate the revolver in one direction, i.e. the direction that forces the front sight toward the seam. I don’t think this is going to be a big issue, but we’ll see. My Bisley is a .45 Colt/.45 ACP (extra cylinder.) It has a pretty tall front sight. But since Ruger Blackhawk revolvers and Sourdough Pancake holsters go together like peas and carrots, I’m sure there are a bunch of this combination out in the world. The Roy Baker holster does not have the narrow spot in the stitching pattern, so it doesn’t bind. A great design would be a pancake style holster with a sewn in sight track. This is certainly possible, but I suspect it would make construction a good bit more complicated.

Overall, I like this holster. But with a few changes, i.e. a bit different belt slot arrangement and stitching pattern, it would be a great holster.

I hope you found this review objective and useful.

Best,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/13/19. Reason: clarification

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great review, Doc!

Am staying with the Bianchi Lawman offerings.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
Thanks for the comment on my review.

"Lawman" is a great name for that holster, because it is a version of the holster designed for/by Tom Threepersons, a famous lawman.
IMO, that is a holster that works best with virtually indestructible fixed sights. I prefer my adjustable sights have a bit more protection. YMMV.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.