Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I am minding my own business out on the west coast earlier this week chasin guns, when I come across a tiny out of the way gunshop in Covington, Washington.
I am perusing the stores wares when I spy a tiny green Remington ammunition box back in a corner - I thought it was a box of 22 Hornet ammo, do to the size.
I asked to see the box and it contained 16 (sixteen) cartridges in 25 Steven rimfire caliber!
I had never seen a cartridge in this caliber before so I inquired if they were for sale and the shop keeper said "yeah, two bucks"!
I could NOT get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
The cartridges appear to be long copper ones instead of "brass" cased and the 25 caliber bullets are double crimped in the copper cases.
Anyone have any info on these - like what gun/guns did Stevens make in this cartridge?
The end flaps on the box are tattered and do not relay the grain weight of the rimfire bullets.
Also any info on value to cartrdige collectors would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You did the right thing when you rescued those rounds, but have no idea what they're worth.

That round gets mentioned occasionally in articles on the .22 mag. Some feel it should have been modernized instead of gassing up a .22. Truth be told, the superior .25/20 isn't exactly setting the world on fire now either, because the hunting of edible small game with a rifle isn't very popular any more, sad to say. I suppose the rimfire .25 was cheaper to feed, but still the market is pretty small. Honestly, I've never found the .22LR lacking for squirrels, rabbits, and such, and doubt the .25 Stevens offers any advatage over HS HPs for chucks.

I believe it was chambered in the little Stevens single shots and also some revolvers. Wiki it for ballistics.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
VarmintGuy
I've got another 300 rnds. if you are interested.....:-)
Only rifle I personally know of that fired these is a Stevens 44
but there must be others.
Enjoy your trip!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pappy348: Good thinking there on your part.
I searched and came up with this from Wikipedia: "From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search.

.25 Stevens Rimfire
Place of origin United States
Production history
Designed 1898?[1]
Produced 1900-1942
Specifications
Bullet diameter .251 in (6.4 mm)
Neck diameter .276 in (7.0 mm)
Base diameter .276 in (7.0 mm)
Rim diameter .333 in (8.5 mm)
Case length 1.125 in (28.6 mm)
Overall length 1.395 in (35.4 mm)
Primer type rimfire
Ballistic performance
Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
65 gr (4 g) (smokeless) 1,180 ft/s (360 m/s) 208 ft⋅lbf (282 J)
Source(s): Barnes & Amber 1972
The .25 Stevens was an American rimfire rifle cartridge.[1] To differentiate from the related .25 Stevens Short it is sometimes also referred to as .25 Stevens long.[2]

Developed by J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company and Peters Cartridge Company,[1] it was developed between 1898 and 1900; catalogs suggest it was introduced in 1898, but most sources agree on 1900.[1] It was offered in the Crack Shot #15 rifle, which debuted in 1900.[1] It may also have been available in the Favorite rifle, which was first released in 1894 and discontinued in 1935.[1] It originally used a 10 to 11 gr (0.65 to 0.71 g) black powder charge under a 67 gr (4.3 g) slug; this was later replaced by smokeless.

Some handguns were also chambered for .25 Stevens, most notably the Stevens-Lord single shot pistols.[2]

The round was available with either solid lead or hollow point bullet[1] and developed a good reputation for small game (such as rabbit) and varmint.[1][2]

In comparison to the .22 Long Rifle some sources note that its ballistics suffered from an excessively high trajectory for a rifle cartridge (a drop of 5.1 in (130 mm) at 100 yd (91 m)),[1] while others praise its inherent accuracy, and larger versatility due to being much more powerful, especially when being used in revolvers.[2]

Serving as the parent for the less-successful .25 Stevens Short and experimental Remington .267 Rimfire, it was dropped in 1942.

Notable handgun authority Elmer Keith lamented its demise and advocated its revival for use in revolvers.[2]
End of Wikipedia info.

I also hand searched the latest edition of the "Bluebook Of Gun Values" in the "Stevens" section and found that Stevens also made one "bolt action" Rifle that was offered in the Stevens 25 Rimfire cartridge from 1935 to 1947 and that was the Model 53! 25 Stevens cartridge chamberings in this caliber are worth 35% more than the 22 LR or 22 WMR in that model!
Stevens also made pistols in 25 Stevens Rimfire the Model Target Single! This pistol was discontinued in 1939.
Anyway the cartridge itself is a cool looking little thing - I wish I could post pictures.
Learn something everyday it seems - even for an old timey gun collector.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My grandfather had one. It ended up going to one of the cousins but I never heard where it ended up. He was quite partial to it and shot a lot of hawks and owls with it in addition to a host of skunks and raccoons. Back in his day there was no restriction on such things. He raised fancy chickens and was very protective of them. He also pressed it into service more than once on red fox. He spoke highly of it. He mentioned using it several times when butchering pigs and steers. Seemed to work fine in that application.

He was still alive when I got my first rifle, a Savage bolt 22 Magnum. After seeing it in action on a few woodchucks he thought it was a pretty close match for the 25. He's the only person I ever knew that had a 25 Rimfire and I always wished I had gotten it. None of the other cousins were much for guns but he had passed it on to one of them before I was old enough to be considered for it.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ulvejaeger: I have been putting the miles on of recent - big time!
Two weeks ago I and the VarmintWife headed east doing Mt. Rushmore, Chief Crazy Horse monument and museum (fantastic!), Custer Forest and the Badlands National Grasslands, Wall Drug and Sturgis (all in South Dakota) then did Devils Tower, Sheridan, the Bighorn Mountains, Cody Wyoming and the amazing museums there then the Yellowstone for one full day!
Then reloaded at home for a day and then headed for central Idaho (Stanley - which is absolutely stunning, and headed next to McCall) for a few days for the Keith Curtis/Katie Griebenow wedding - then continued on our way to the west coast and the miserable traffic congestion and outrageous gas prices and outrageous taxes and toll roads!
Did enjoy the fresh seafood out there though and the VarmintRelatives were all somewhat "friendly" for a change!
Bought three guns on those trips and lots of little items like the aforementioned partial box of 25 Stevens Rimfires.
If part of your hoard of 25 Stevens cartridges are a full box then I would be interested in buying them from you at fair market value or what ever you intend.
I will be returning to the Bozeman Gunshow early tomorrow morning for re-negotiating on a Rifle I passed on there Friday.
I have a big time guntrader coming in Monday from the west coast, to do some trading and staying with me - and he is picking up four guns he has had here being engraved by someone? Do you know who may be doing engraving in Dillon?
He will be gone on Tuesday after that I should be "free" for the forseeable future.
Let me know if you want to ride along tomorrow morning.
Headed for the Old Hotel with friends soon - birthday celebration (mine!).
Been lookin for ya - can't see ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Mart: Darn I also wish you would have gotten that Rifle of your grandfathers!
Do you remember which brand or model it was?
Was it a single shot or bolt action?
Good memory though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It was a Stevens single shot. Model 44 I believe, maybe a Favorite, I'm not up on the Stevens models that well. Grandpa shot a few chucks with it but my Dad used it more on chucks than Grandpa. Grandpa only shot them if he had time and they were a problem for him. Dad, being young then, was more into hunting and more actively went after chucks as chores permitted. Dad said it was much more effective than the Winchester 67, 22 LR he used. I do have that 67 and it's the one on which I learned to shoot.

For no other reason than nostalgia, if an ammo company made a run of 25 Rimfire, I'd buy a case or two and a Stevens single shot just to connect with the past a little.

Last edited by mart; 07/13/19.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Mart: Thanks for the comeback and insights.
Lots of Winchester 67's and 69's in my past as well.
Good little Rifles.
I learned to shoot with an older Remington clip (magazine) fed bolt action - I bet I lost 7 or 8 clips (magazines) over the 10 years I shot it a lot - still have that one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I recently came by my Uncle's old Marlin 27S pump rifle in 25 RF. He had a few rounds in a plastic bag but that's about all I know.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
VarmintGuy,

I wish my 25 Stevens experience was more than just anecdotal. I'm afraid the number of guys who actually have used them on small game and varmints is rapidly dwindling. I remember the 25 Stevens stories well from 50 years ago because I hungered for every bit of gun knowledge I could glean from anyone who would share it back then and I paid close attention to every detail of their stories. If only I had devoted that much attention to my school work.

Dad sent the 67 with me a couple of years ago when I was home for a visit. I had it out to the range last winter and tried a dozen or more brands of 22 LR and was amazed at how accurate it still was after all these years. I hadn't shot it in close to 45 years.

I was looking at 25 Stevens ammo on GB. It's amazing what it goes for today. When I was 18 I remember seeing a few boxes of it and the shop owners would have just about given it away to get it out the door.

Mart

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
LEADMINER: I had no idea Marlin got in on the 25 Stevens rimfires!
I need to pay more attention when I am perusing guns (which I have been perusing for 55+ years now!).
Thanks for that bit o'info.
I just never recall ever seeing any gun in 25 Stevens rimfire caliber.
I have never had a scope on any of the Model 67's I have shot but I also was impressed with their accuracy. I have shot both the longer barreled models as well as a couple of short barreled "Boy's Rifles".
Haven't shot one in years - should remedy that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I never paid much attention to them either. The Marlins were made from 1913-1932 and may be found in 25-20 as well as 32-20, I have read. It would have been nice had this been the 25-20 version, which I could actually shoot! smile

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Marlin did make the Model 27 S in 25 Stevens as well as 25-20 and 32-20. Very nice little pump rifles!

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Wiley: No kidding - thank you for that.
I am going to do a search and see if I can find a picture of one.
Thanks
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the 25 Stevens interests you, you might find the 267 Remington interesting too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The dud rate on old stock 25 RF ammo is right around 50% (+/-). Ask me how I know.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My grand father had one that we used to kill his hogs with each fall, It was a pump and I believe it was a Marlin, but it has been about 40 years since I saw the gun. Last time I shot it was in the late seventies and used it to kill 3 hogs then. I do remember him telling me that ammo was getting hard to find and not to waste any. It was much better than a .22 RF. Wished a thousand times I could have gotten that rifle,

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Craigster: Alright I'll ask - how do you know the dud rate is so high on 25 Stevens ammo?

CrowRifle: I wish it could have been your Rifle as well.
Yes I have been looking here and there and indeed the original ammo is very valuable (rare) these days.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I once owned a 25 rimfire rifle. I used it for small game when my ammo got down to 1 box I traded it for 2 smith and Wesson revolvers in 38 special. a dumb ass move as the stevens SS was in perfect condition. I have never seen another... I paid $10.00 for it . It had a broken main spring which I had replaced. for $2.00.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.