Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Looking for a few new ways to turn venison into things other than hamburger.

Do you have any favorite home recipient for making Breakfast sausage & Italian sausage / or even brats

(I.e. not looking for Sumer sausage )

I’ve got the mixer / grinder / stuffer setup already.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sausage seasoning from A.C.Legg. I put a layer of venison 2/3 and pork 1/3 in the bottom sliced down to fit through the grinder in the bottom of a big bowl/ Then I shake on a c generous amount of the seasoning. Add another layer of meat and repeat. When I run out of meat I grind. When the grinding is done I use a large serving spoon to make tennis ball size balls that go onto a copper grilling sheet that is on a cookie sheet. The filled sheet goes into the freezer until the balls are solid. I vacuum pack in meal sized amounts and so far both the breakfast sausage and the bratwurst seasoning mixes have been outstanding. This brand of seasoning mix is used in many commercial sausage plants/shops. I have used it for years and it may cost a little more than from scratch, but it makes my life easier and my sausage good. I use the same ratio of venison to pork in my burger and would not hesitate to thaw some frozen packs of burger and season it and then make it into balls for patties or stuff it in casing for links and refreeze if I run short on sausage. I suppose a person could also just use pork shoulder alone like most sausage makers do, but the venison makes it better. I always have a couple of shoulders in the freezer, picked up when one of the local stores is selling them at a good price.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Huh, I’ll give that a run, sounds pretty good.

Thanks

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
aclegg.com

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I make Maple flavor breakfast sausage I use the A C Legg seasoning as described above and then I pour about 1/2 cup or so of real maple syrup into the bowl and mix by hand before I grind.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
https://greatvenisoncooking.com/homemade-venison-bratwurst-recipe/

We will add sharp cheddar to this as well.

Everyone likes it, going to make some more and smoke them soon.

I typically use butts at 50-50.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be happy to send you some A. C. Legg #10 if you PM your address.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out Rebel Butcher Supply outta pearl MS.

Several mixes.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
been party of this forum for years and here is a little bit of info here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/venison-sausages.49713/

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Miles58 which specific type of A.C. Legg season do you use - they have a bunch of them

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

I'm a big fan of Waltons. I think my brother in law might single handedly keep them in business.

I'm looking for a good jalapeno sausage recipe or seasoning for making fresh sausage for grilling and eating on a bun with mustard. Not bratwurst, or at least not what I have in my mind when people say 'bratwurst'. Store bought it would be Opa's Jalapeno Cheddar sausage. Everytime I'm in Texas I go to HEB and buy 4 or 5 packages of it for grilling back at home. Good stuff.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Check out Rebel Butcher Supply outta pearl MS.

Several mixes.

+1 They have awesome spices. Rebel Rub is the bomb

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Look up some recipes for South African Boerewors Sausage. Here's one. Boerewors Sausage

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love venison. The only time it has close to tasting like sausage is when I use equal parts of venison and pork butts.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Chard brand hot Italian sausages in natural casings quite good

Made boerewors last fall with my buddies moms recipe. Amazing how good it is. You should try it

They are from South Africa and know how to make it. She said if you can’t make your own crown brand seasoning was good as well

I for one do not like collagen casings, prefer natural casings.

Thespicysausage.com has a bunch of recipes

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best I have ever made was a deer rump and a young wild hog rump, about equal in size, added just enough pork fat to make it breakfast sausage....added typical spices for onebatch and italian for another.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
High mountain Prairie sage 1/2 deer 1/2 pork shoulder

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Ive made a soft salami with 1\2 venison 1\2 beef that was decent. The nice thing about it is you just need ground meat from your processor, Mortons Tender Quick, and a few spices. This isnt the exact recipe (substituted venison obviously) I used, but darn close:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/44881/homemade-salami/

Mine turned out a touch salty, but it was still tasty. If i did it again it would be small batches until I refined the taste I like.

Unfortunately it doesnt keep like hard salami IME. I'd freeze any you dont want to use right away, and keep it refrigerated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Another vote for bratwurst. Not sure of the brand, have used a commercial pre-mixed blend for local Alaska Butcher Supply that we really liked. May have to give the recipe in Jim's link a try next time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.