Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13971954 07/13/19
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Does anyone else find it "unusual" that Ted Nugent, the man who never met a microphone he didn't like or a subject that he couldn't expound on, has been completely silent on the whole NRA debacle? Sorta makes you wonder...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just 2.5 mos. ago...

By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Monday, April 29, 2019
INDIANAPOLIS — Legendary rocker Ted Nugent, a National Rifle Association board member, says the board owes it to the gun-rights group’s rank-and-file members to provide more information about its finances and activities.

“Whether you’re a family or a company or…a civil rights organization, accountability is job one,” Mr. Nugent said in an interview this weekend at the NRA’s annual meetings. “We’ve been less than accountable at the NRA - not as unaccountable as the government or the media, but we’re better than that.”

The NRA is facing scrutiny from New York’s attorney general over its nonprofit status. It has sued its own ad agency and has posted troubling financial numbers in recent years, leading to unprecedented turmoil over the last week.

Mr. Nugent, one of the NRA’s most prominent members, says the board, which is meeting on Monday to discuss next steps, owes transparency and accountability to dues-paying members who believe in the mission of the organization.

“Only the guilty need to feel guilty. I’m not sure there is anybody guilty, but if there is we will hold them accountable,” he said. “I’m not afraid of what the spotlight shows. I know I ain’t guilty, and I’m going to demand from my fellow NRA board members the same thing I demand from my management, and my family and my sons and daughters - it’s accountability.”

He said he doesn’t know the “gory details” of the abrupt departure of NRA President Oliver North, but acknowledged that the organization can get a better handle on its finances.

“Well, let me put it this way. I’m just a guitar player, but see if I have this right. When I make $5 million on tour, I can’t spend six,” he said.

The NRA had run cumulative deficits of close to $64 million in 2016 and 2017, and the New York attorney general recently launched an investigation into its finances.

“My criminal government is 20-some trillion in debt - criminal. I won’t let that happen to the NRA,” he said. “We may be a little out of control currently, but I think it’s remedial. I think we can find those wasteful spendings, and I think we can end them.”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting, as I was wondering like the OP was.

Has he said anything recently or is he now of the thinking that there are ongoing investigations and perhaps he should remain quiet? At the behest of his legal counsel perhaps?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KAG!! 2020!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ted Nugent: Draft dodger

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can start by demanding the 'Lil Wayne get his A$$ kicked out the door. When you spring a leak, plug the BIG hole first.

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
KAG!! 2020!!

Just another of your nonsensical, off topic posts.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by skeen

Just 2.5 mos. ago...

By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Monday, April 29, 2019
INDIANAPOLIS — Legendary rocker Ted Nugent, a National Rifle Association board member, says the board owes it to the gun-rights group’s rank-and-file members to provide more information about its finances and activities.

“Whether you’re a family or a company or…a civil rights organization, accountability is job one,” Mr. Nugent said in an interview this weekend at the NRA’s annual meetings. “We’ve been less than accountable at the NRA - not as unaccountable as the government or the media, but we’re better than that.”

The NRA is facing scrutiny from New York’s attorney general over its nonprofit status. It has sued its own ad agency and has posted troubling financial numbers in recent years, leading to unprecedented turmoil over the last week.

Mr. Nugent, one of the NRA’s most prominent members, says the board, which is meeting on Monday to discuss next steps, owes transparency and accountability to dues-paying members who believe in the mission of the organization.

“Only the guilty need to feel guilty. I’m not sure there is anybody guilty, but if there is we will hold them accountable,” he said. “I’m not afraid of what the spotlight shows. I know I ain’t guilty, and I’m going to demand from my fellow NRA board members the same thing I demand from my management, and my family and my sons and daughters - it’s accountability.”

He said he doesn’t know the “gory details” of the abrupt departure of NRA President Oliver North, but acknowledged that the organization can get a better handle on its finances.

“Well, let me put it this way. I’m just a guitar player, but see if I have this right. When I make $5 million on tour, I can’t spend six,” he said.

The NRA had run cumulative deficits of close to $64 million in 2016 and 2017, and the New York attorney general recently launched an investigation into its finances.

“My criminal government is 20-some trillion in debt - criminal. I won’t let that happen to the NRA,” he said. “We may be a little out of control currently, but I think it’s remedial. I think we can find those wasteful spendings, and I think we can end them.”

Does this satisfy the OPs curiosity?

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
He spoke awfully carefully...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always thought that original story in High Times was bogus. During the Vietnam War, it was unlikely you were going to pull one over on the docs at your physical. Recall the scene in the original movie MASH where Hawkeye and Pierce give HoJohn a stimulant to spike his heart rate and blood pressure, but the Korean doctor sees through it.

Nugent's story in HIGH TIMES (Nugents never smoked weed) was a great place to play anti-establishment and curry favor with the rock youth. Pretty good summation of what I've suspected all these years:

Fact Checker: Ted Nugent draft-dodging claim revisited
Mark Robison, mrobisonrgj.com Published 11:02 p.m. PT June 2, 2015
Ted Nugent

Publication date: Aug. 31, 2013

The claim

Ted Nugent was a draft dodger. Really.

The background

Regarding last week's Fact Checker sidebar, Mark Nelson of Sparks wrote, "(Fact Checker) said that since Ted registered for the draft and did not go to Canada, he is not a draft dodger. A quick Google check shows the definition of a draft dodger is someone who 'evades compulsory military service.' It says nothing about Canada or failure to register. By his own admission, Nugent faked symptoms and used drugs to keep from being drafted. Nugent is a draft dodger."

The original column was more interested in whether it's hypocrisy for someone to hold different views at age 64 than at age 18. The question of draft-dodging during the Vietnam War, when some young men were forced to serve by the government, probably wasn't given its due.

Nelson is right. Nugent said in a 1977 High Times magazine article that he faked symptoms (being unhygienic to appear mentally unfit) and used meth before his military physical to get out of serving.

But, in a 2006 interview with the UK Independent newspaper, he said he made up that story to the High Times reporter.

To take a step back, Fact Checker contacted Dick Flahavan at the Selective Service System, which handles registration for military service, to verify what qualifies as draft-dodging.

He wrote in an email, "Every Selective Service registrant was entitled to file for any type claim — postponement, deferment or exemption — to which he believed he was entitled at the time he was called for induction, even though the claim might have been frivolous or even a stretch. If granted by the Local Board, then he received the appropriate classification, e.g., 4-F, II-S, 1-A, etc. This was the procedure that Selective Service followed, it was provided by law, and filing for a claim was not considered draft-dodging.

"On the other hand, if a man faked or deceptively manufactured a claim which did not represent his real situation — e.g., substituted another man's physical exam results, or represented himself as gay to avoid his duty to serve — then it was fraudulent and constituted draft-dodging. The term draft-dodging also was applied to those men who received their notice to report for induction and immediately left the U.S. for Canada or Sweden or remained in the U.S. but dropped out and went underground. …

"In sum, avoiding the draft through any licit method is legal; avoiding service if qualified and called is not.

"So in your example of a man registering for the draft and showing up for his medical exam would not be avoiding the draft or avoiding serving. But if that man faked his medical results, then he would be attempting to avoid … being drafted to serve in the military."

(In an effort to keep politics out of the discussion, Fact Checker did not use Nugent's name, just the case's details, in correspondence.)

According to military records, Nugent got a student deferment. As mentioned above, this was a legal means of avoiding service in the military and is not considered draft dodging.

(Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, Mitt Romney, Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly — as well as Bill Clinton — all got student deferments during the Vietnam War and are not draft dodgers. Clinton also got help from friends in high places and didn't follow through on some promises to avoid service but is legally considered not to have violated the Military Selective Service Act.)

Nugent's student deferment went away for reasons that are not clear. Jennifer Burke, also with the Selective Service System, told Fact Checker that common reasons could be "he a) finished school or finished the semester, b) was not a full-time student, maintaining good grades, or c) did not return to school for whatever reason."

Given Nugent was a touring musician, b or c are likely candidates.

Regardless, it's clear the initial student deferment was legal. Nugent has said it was given so he could attend Oakland Community College.

Nugent then got a second deferment. Because he failed his military medical exam, he was reclassified as 4-F, or unfit for service.

So everything hinges on that medical exam. If he faked a bad result, he's a draft dodger. If he didn't, he's not.

"By way of clarification," Burke said about 4-F qualifications, "the 'physical' category included psychiatric disorders; 'mental' related to solely intelligence test scores; 'moral' was determined by the registrant's court record."

There are no government records on Nugent that could shed light.

Burke said, "The only remaining records for registrations prior to 1980 are the registration card and classification record. Any other documents, medical records, results of physical examinations, etc., would have been placed in the registrant's file folder. These file folders were routinely destroyed when the registrant reached age 26 years, or age 35 if the individual received a deferment. Any remaining file folders in existence in 1978 were destroyed as approved by the archivist of the United States."

That means the only evidence is from an unreliable witness: Nugent himself.

Of course, Fact Checker reached out to the Nugent camp. Publicist Linda Peterson was asked: "Did Ted Nugent try to make himself seem unfit for duty during his military physical for the Vietnam draft?"

She responded, "Nope, urban legend."

Fact Checker asked what was the reason for Nugent's 4-F deferment and didn't get a reply.

The verdict

Fact Checker gave too narrow of a definition of "draft dodger" last week, as Mark Nelson of Sparks correctly pointed out.

But even with a more expansive definition, there's still no proof Nugent dodged the draft. If he's a liar who can't be trusted now, that doesn't make his word more trustworthy in 1977.

Plausible arguments can be made for why Nugent would've made up the 1977 story that's the source of draft-dodging claims — the Vietnam War was unpopular and it would be very rock 'n' roll to claim you pulled one over on The Man.

It's also worth noting Nugent has long been anti-drug, railing regularly against the "hippies" of the 1960s who zoned out — often fatally — on drugs. So if he were going to make up a story to a magazine, a pro-drug one would make sense.

And plausible arguments can be made for why he would've made up the 2006 story about the first one being a hoax — he wanted to protect his credibility as a patriotic conservative spokesman.

The only objective conclusion that can be made is there's not enough evidence one way or the other.

That said, if you're going to accuse someone of a crime, you must have better evidence than a single story in High Times magazine that has since been retracted by the source.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Maybe he had bone spurs...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Originally Posted by UPhiker

Just another of your nonsensical, off topic posts.

I agree.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
UPhiker,

Fwiw, most of us Patriots are "sick to death' of ANTI-Trump DIMocRATS & other such creatures bringing that NONSENSE up. = That NONSENSE is "a pack of lies" & I suspect that the Leftist Morons KNOW that they are being dishonest.
I can tell you that DJT was found to be 4F because of real/painful bone spurs in both feet, as well as a minor deformity to 2 bones of one foot.
(Otoh, I have NO information as to Ted Nugent's draft status, whatever.)

The Armed Forces entry system didn't care who you are/were or how much money that you had, as even Cassius Clay & Elvis Presley were both "classified" 1A. - ALL that was important was your actual condition, mentally/physically./emotionally/etc.
(I knew a Black guy at our college in 1969 who was DISQUALIFIED for induction because of his RACISM.)

yours, tex
USA, Retired

Last edited by satx78247; 07/13/19. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

More folks should do that more often.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You know, we repeatedly elect those as POTUS.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Did you prefer if he spoke recklessly?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

how many years you serve in the military and how many combat tours you do?

cowards always first to call others out

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Ted does many things both financially and physically for our wounded Warriors, What have you done for your fellow vet?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's a good thing. Made sense too. I'm not a big fan, but he's a smart guy and sounds like he's finally acting like an adult. If there's a swamp at the NRA, it needs draining just like the big one.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ah, you just have to get your jab in there, and I imagine that was your troll intention from the start. "What this! I'll start a thread about Nugent, then it will certainly get around to his draft status and I can zing both he and Trump in one move. He, he, he!"

You started this solely to stir the pot. You will continue to miserable after Trump is re-elected. What's the jab going to be then? Russians? Bone spurs? Manafort?

If you want a sideshow to watch, try the comedy starring AOC and Nancy Pelosi playing this week. You can find it on CNN, MSNBC, FOX and other networks. Show is called "My Party is unravelling". Next week Fauxahauntus will go to battle with reason trying to explain how having no border controls is a benefit and how the US would never be negatively impacted by uneducated immigrants fleeing chitthole coutries and bringing their problems with them.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.