Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/megan-rapinoe-wrongly-thinks-shes-a-preacher-not-a-player/

OPINION
Megan Rapinoe wrongly thinks she’s a preacher — not a player
By Kyle Smith July 13, 2019 | 11:55am
Enlarge Image
World Cup soccer champion Megan Rapinoe is milking her “victimhood” in the wake of her World Cup victory.

Arrogant, abrasive, sanctimonious, whiny, humorless, unpatriotic, self-important and immensely boring, Megan Rapinoe has made the least of her sudden ascent to fame as the captain of the World Cup-winning US women’s soccer team. With unprecedented alacrity, she has become America’s anti-sweetheart.

Instead of coming across as delighted about the team’s championship run, and humbled by all of the support, Rapinoe cast herself as a foe of President Trump, first aggressively, then passive-aggressively. Trump, like everybody else, had probably never heard of her until last month, when she told an obscure magazine called Eight by Eight, “I’m not going to the f–king White House” if the women’s soccer team should be invited there. This week Rapinoe sounded a more muted tone about Trump, saying she was against him because she figured he was against her: “You’re excluding me, you’re excluding people that look like me, you’re excluding people of color, you’re excluding Americans that maybe support you,” she said she would like to tell Trump, on “Anderson Cooper 360.”

“I hate you for hating me, you hater,” has to be the quintessential taunt of this decade.

Jeez, and we were all trying to enjoy the summer. We certainly all lapped up teammate Alex Morgan’s witty tea-sipping gesture when she scored against England. Soccer was fun! But now it’s as if Rapinoe dropped a Baby Ruth in the swimming pool everyone had been loving.

Athletes are, as a group, imbued with more self-confidence than most of us can imagine. They have to be; no matter how tough your job is, you never find your mistakes getting televised to 50 million people. But the trick to being an athlete-endorser is performative humility. Peyton Manning and Michael Jordan were brilliant at this. Failing that, try a hilariously exaggerated braggadocio, like Muhammad Ali.

What no athlete should do is turn victory into victimhood, to go from champion athlete to champion complainer, to be so sanctimonious as to advise America to “love more, hate less,”as Rapinoe did in her speech at the ticker-tape parade Wednesday.

“Love more, hate less?” Rapinoe might as well have told us to eat more spinach and less pizza. Is there anything more abrasive than being told you’re a hater? Can you imagine Manning or Jordan lecturing us like this? Nor would Manning or Jordan pop up on a show as divisive as Rachel Maddow’s, as Rapinoe did, where she said “I try to … keep myself woke.”

“It’s our responsibility to make this world a better place,” she said at the parade last week. No, it isn’t. With athletes, their responsibility is limited to entertaining the rest of us with their excellence, and if they reach the very highest level, maybe make us laugh in a Nationwide commercial during time-outs. At ticker-tape parades celebrating national pride, a simple “USA! USA!” would suffice.

Rapinoe couldn’t manage that. She used to take a knee for the national anthem until her coach made her knock it off. Kneeling in front of Old Glory, by the way, now means nothing more or less than, “I am an angry leftist in need of attention.”

At the same time, she has been spewing garbage about imaginary pay disparities. She joined a lawsuit seeking pay commensurate with men and keeps talking about her pay in interviews, saying the attitude toward women is, “How cheap can we do this while sort of keeping them happy?’” Yet women’s team sports are essentially the minor leagues, so we need not feign surprise that the players are compensated less. She may recall that her own team was trounced 5-2 by a group of under-15-year-old Dallas schoolboys in 2017.

These weren’t the world’s best 14-year-old boys. They weren’t the country’s best 14-year-old boys. They were just the 14-year-old boys of Dallas. The men’s World Cup brought in $6 billion in revenue; the women’s, $130 million.

Rapinoe imagines herself to be a principle embodied, like Jackie Robinson (who suffered racism) or Ali (who was jailed), but her grievances are all in her head. To the extent she stands for anything, it’s a mythical pay disparity problem. She’s a fake victim.

“I’m excited to kind of dig in and see really where I can take this,” she said on Maddow’s show. “How do we bring it out of just sports and . . . into something way bigger? . . . What’s the best way to get people mobilized, whether that’s in voting or just getting people more educated and more plugged into what’s happening, you know, in our politics and in our lives?”

“More plugged in to what’s happening”? We’re all so plugged in to what’s happening that our hair is standing on end. We need to unplug. When it comes to soccer, let’s have more tea-sipping and less pounding the lectern.

Kyle Smith is critic-at-large at National Review.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
So, one can assume she has the dyke role in their relationship.
Lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty well put...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rapinoe kicks a ball into a net - she ain't that important here in America and she damn sure isn't the begetter of some kind of "movement".

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
megan who ? , never heard of her

.... like tears in the rain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She's a legend in her own mind.......................

Nobody else really gives a schitt.

MM

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Arrogant, abrasive, sanctimonious, whiny, humorless, unpatriotic, self-important and immensely boring,

Well put.

There was a time when a purple haired bull dyke would at least get a curious glance from me, now they're just one of the gazillion perpetually offended.

The only thing that's come out of this is that I now know we have a United States women's national soccer team, which I had no idea existed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Somebody that wants to be somebody that will always be a nobody and will always blame it on somebody else.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Is it just me or all the dykes out there just naturally angry at life. Are they mad because they skipped the part where God was passing out peckers or what.

jimjr
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
She has no idea how much damage she's done to woman's soccer in this county.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by KenMi
So, one can assume she has the dyke role in their relationship.
Lol
more like the dumbass.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was rooting for the Netherlands..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same here! To bad the Dutch didn’t beat these no class azzclowns!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

She has been the subject on this site quite a bit lately. Someone obviously gives a $hit about her.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

She has been the subject on this site quite a bit lately. Someone obviously gives a $hit about her.

LMAO!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I hope her crap makes womens soccer less money next year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to guess that the rest of the team isn't like that. I have to guess because I have no clue about them. Rapinoe hogged the camera every time.

The last time the women won, one player ripped off her shirt, exposing her bra. This time, Rapinoe ripped off an f-bomb, exposing her baseness.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe she’ll move to Canada like the hasbeen’s of Hollywood did. Oh wait.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
She is yesterday’s news already.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
megan who ? , never heard of her

+ 2 ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.