Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Watching the discussion on another thread on this board, I thought some of you might be surprised at what it takes to qualify for a handicap sticker, I got this off the WebMD website:

If you have a chronic illness like arthritis or lung disease that makes it painful or difficult to walk, you might qualify for a handicapped parking permit. Ask your doctor about eligibility. People with limited mobility can save time, energy, and frustration when they park in handicapped parking spots near the entrances to businesses.

Each state has its own forms and criteria for handicapped parking permits. Typically, the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) runs the program. Check on your state’s specific process.

The DMV will need your doctor to verify your medical condition. Other health-care professionals -- such as an optometrist, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner -- may also be able to document your condition. If you’re visibly disabled and appear at a DMV office, the requirement of a physician’s certification might be waived in some states.

Check with your own state to find out the specific criteria regarding who qualifies for disabled parking. Common conditions include:

Lung disease
Heart disease
Substantially impaired mobility, for example, use of a wheelchair, brace, or cane
A disease that significantly limits your ability walk or to use your legs
Documented vision problems, including low-vision or partial sightedness
Loss of one or both legs or loss of both hands, or limited use of these parts

Be aware that other conditions also may apply, so ask your doctor about your eligibility. For example, some states will grant permits to people who use portable oxygen or have an acute sensitivity to sunlight that causes burning and blistering of the skin.
How to Apply for a Handicap Parking Permit

Get a handicapped parking application from the DMV office or online.
Complete and sign the form. Ask your health-care provider to fill out and sign the portion that certifies disability. (Again, in some states, certification requirements might be waived if you’re visibly disabled and appear in person at the DMV.)
Submit the application by mail or in person.

Although many people apply for permanent disabled parking, states also offer placards for temporary disability, such as after having surgery. Typically, these temporary placards are valid for up to six months or up to the date that your doctor notes on the application.

Fees also vary. Some states charge a small fee, and others provide placards free of charge.

You are the only one legally allowed to use the placard, whether you’re a driver or passenger in the vehicle. It’s illegal for anyone else to use the placard if you’re not in the vehicle. Misusing the placard can result in cancellation of the permit, fines and other penalties.

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What pisses me off, is when I see someone with a sticker that gets out and walks better and faster than I can.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I gotta get me one!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people in the handicap spots any way.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You sure get pissed off easy, and for no reason. You would be pissed if you saw me but chances are you would not follow me for a 100 ft or more to see me having to sit down to catch my breath. Open your a mind a bit and might see that all disability's are not at first glance. People like you piss me off!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I could qualify based on my heart, but I just won’t apply. If I can’t get up, dress and drive to the store, I don’t need any special treatment.

Sam......

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
My Mom didn't get one until she was near 90. She wasn't driving but we drove her around. Same thing with my aunt. Just because you're legally entitled to one, doesn't mean you should use one. Many people, if they got a bit more exercise by walking more, wouldn't need one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mostly I see 450 lb women who are too fricking lazy to walk with them parking in the handicapped spots at Walmart.

Which leaves no handicapped parking spaces for those that REALLY need them. 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would give anything to not ever need one... and getting an unneeded one SHOULD create enough karma to bring the need for one on.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Reminds me of a car, with a handicapped placard, that was parked in a handicapped spot every day outside my workplace. Had a ski rack on the back.

Last edited by Labman95; 07/14/19.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They're great when it's raining.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many are simply lazy lard asses. They tend to leave those Walmart electric carts right in the middle of two handicap parking spaces when they leave, so the spaces can't be easily accessed by other lazy lard asses. I swore to my wife I would never get a handicap sticker, regardless. Handicapped Americans made out just fine for decades, without the stupid ADA law.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You don't have to be handicap to use the electric carts.
I wish they made them sideXside so me and homie or offspring could cruise around the store like we do on the farm. Some of these walmarts are like 4 acres now.

Or have a dump bed on them. Get 100 lbs of dog chow, several 12 packs. The basket they have on them now is a joke.

😄

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Three or four bags of that mulch is hell on em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In NV they are good for ten years. I got one several years ago after falling 11 feet off a roof. It added to existing deficits...twice broken back, rt knee meniscus tear, one shoulder reverse replacement with few ligaments left, one shoulder small tear and impingement.

The only time I use it is when I know I'll be bringing out heavy or awkward purchases, maybe once every month or two.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Labman95
Reminds me of a car, with a handicapped placard, that was parked in a handicapped spot every day outside my workplace. Had a ski rack on the back.

I jumped a turd's case inside Harbor Freight in Reno. The car was parked at the closest handicap space to the store doors every time I went there. One day a big kneegrow whipped into it in that same car, put his Harbor Freight vest on and hurried on into work at the store. I purposely make a scene in the store about his special parking place, right in front of his manager. A week later I went to HF to get some drill bits and noticed the Bro's car parked at the far end of the lot with the other employees' cars. Mr. Dindoo gave the royal stink-eye.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No need in getting 'disneylanded' at the HF over some .88cent zip ties.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Labman95

I know an engineer who is in a wheelchair but still skis regularly. It's an interesting contraption but the dude is committed to it. He's a good man, a good engineer, and a good skier. He also happens to have a handicapped plate.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handicapped spaces piss me off.

I took my wife To Hershey Medical Center for an eye check.
Running late, weird place to find, I dropped her and went to park.
Trying to catch up I was in a hurry.
Probably 150 yards of side by side parking spots in front, every one a handicapped.
Not a car in one.

Next parking spots were up on a terraced hill.
Drive 1/2 mile, walk couple hundred yards to the building.

They are needed, but so dam many?
Who has ever seen half the spots filled? By legitimate users.

My brother has been in a wheelchair for 49 years, my mom has
bad legs and can't walk well. I know a bit about handicapped issues.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Scott62
You sure get pissed off easy, and for no reason. You would be pissed if you saw me but chances are you would not follow me for a 100 ft or more to see me having to sit down to catch my breath. Open your a mind a bit and might see that all disability's are not at first glance. People like you piss me off!

This. You don't always know what issues a person faces.... Judging a book by the cover and all.

I do agree with the sentiment though. People shouldn't abuse the disabled. I got to spend a couple of months with crutches and a wheelchair. It was very eye opening at how inconsiderate people can be.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.