Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Region6 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
whats everyone using for tents when they are backpacking? I will be hunting solo 5 to 7 miles from the truck.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where, and what month(s) of the year?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Montana, September and October, 6,000 to 9,000 feet elevation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, so bow season. Temps are generally pretty mild here then and a bomber tent isn't really needed. Any good single man bp tent with a mesh interior will be fine.

I have a variety of 1-man tents, but one I really like is the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1. As of the last couple years it can also be had in a pleasant sage green color.

Another good one is the Tarp Tent Moment with a partial solid interior...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Brad,

Thanks for the input that’s a solid looking tent, definitely in the weight range I was looking at.

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
I have a variety of 1-man tents, but one I really like is the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1. As of the last couple years it can also be had in a pleasant sage green color.

Region 6:

I also own several 1-man tents.

I own both the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-1 and the UL-2. The UL-1 weighs about half a pound less than the UL-2. My UL-1 tent has two vestibules; a full size vestibule and a smaller vestibule. But can't use the smaller vestibule from the inside of the tent, no connecting door. It has less cubic volume and therefore less room. It's OK for one night.

But when I expect to spend several nights in a tent, I use my UL-2. It has two full size vestibules and both are accessible from the inside of the tent. Has more room and additional functionality. The extra weight is worth the extra room IMO.

My UL-1 is not the HV (high volume) version. Might make a difference? Might be about the same as a UL-2? I suggest that you take a good look at both of them.

Both tents are 3-season tents. Don't expect them to perform well in later seasons.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am simple, and only require the basics....so a floorless tarp is good enough for me. I use a Kifaru ParaTarp, which is stupidly light, sturdy and indestructible.

Even late season, snowy hunts can be done with a floorless tent if you use a pad, bivvy sack and a good bag. Water condensation on your cloths and boots gets into floored tents, and won't leave, which is why I have gone floorless.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Eureka Spitfire 1 for my early season solo elk hunts. Works great and can be purchased new for a little over $100. I leave my Klymit pad and 20 degree down bag in it, roll the whole thing up together and carry it that way. It weighs a little under 8# complete with Tyvek footprint. I probably have $200 in it total. Too many ants and bugs around here for tarps and floorless tents. Not to mention the occasional snake looking for a warm place to sleep.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Marmot Tungsten 2P or 3P.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
I use a Eureka Spitfire 1 for my early season solo elk hunts. Works great and can be purchased new for a little over $100. I leave my Klymit pad and 20 degree down bag in it, roll the whole thing up together and carry it that way. It weighs a little under 8# complete with Tyvek footprint. I probably have $200 in it total. Too many ants and bugs around here for tarps and floorless tents. Not to mention the occasional snake looking for a warm place to sleep.

Plenty of bugs and ants where I hunt too....but a properly placed floorless tent won't have any more of them than a bathtub tent will.

Snakes on the other hand.....god that would suck. Where I elk hunt I have never seen a snake, other than small water snakes adjacent to the creeks. I have no plans to backpack hunt in normal antelope country or deer low country, where I do see rattlers. I am not a fan of those things...

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
No doubt the lightest way to go is the tarp. The idea of the tarp I like. I may have to do a trial run with a harbor freight tarp and see if I can hack it.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I ought one of these this spring, to replace an older tarptent. Its a bit better design and quite a bit lighter than my old protrail. Its 16oz and while you can tarp with less weight the Aeon also offers full bug protection. I have only used it 3 nights but its a gem.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/aeon-li/

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer a 2 wall tent (I despise condensation) but the Aeon li has my attention... I don’t use trekking poles (I use a cane), so I’d need a single pole, increasing its weight. For now I’ll stick with my Nemo Hornet Elite 1P or MSR Hubba HP. But were I trying to lose a bit more weight than the Nemo, I’d go with the TT Aeon li. It seems to be a great design.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I need a tent, for the most part a double wall tent is preferable. I don't have a good, light one right now.

When I'm carrying a tent, backpacking, right now I'm using a Tarptent ProTrail. Previously a Notch. Comparing them, each has pros and cons. What I really liked about the Notch was side-open. For me it's a lot easier to get in and out of without dragging dirt, sticks, and [bleep] into my tent, plus easier to sit inside with my feet out to lace up my boots. On the other hand, the ends of the Notch are both low and I had problems dragging my head against the tent material when I'd sit up or try to get dressed inside and wind up wet. I decided the end-entry negatives were more than offset by staying drier.

Most of the time when I'm hiking, rather than a tent, i use a bug bivy and hang a tarp if I need it. I have 2 bug bivies I use fairly often. First is from bearpaw wilderness designs. Seems like when I've mentioned this in the past, a lot of people here have reported problems with the product and with customer service. I haven't had problems with mine so I haven't had to test their customer service. Guess I got lucky. Anyway, its a thing to be aware of I think. The other I use is an REI Bug Hut I. The BPWD bivy includes a tub so no ground sheet is needed. The REI unit requires a ground sheet. From the waist down it drapes directly over you/bag. From the waist / chest up, it is a "square dome (2 crossing poles) with really good head room. I often don't unpack the tarp but I carry it. I have 2. Mostly I carry a Mountain Laurel Designs monk tarp but I also have a z-packs hammock tarp.

For me the need for a tent is colder weather and wind ... or more extended bad weather where I'd want to hunker down for a day or two. The single wall tents, even staked against the ground, don't seem to completely block wind. I'm not in any hurry but I'm definitely eying one person double-wall tents. In the mean time, I haven't used it, but the plan to carry me over is a regular bivy. Don't yet know if I can use it w/o too much condensation. If you are going to be hunkered down in a tent for a while, it's worth the extra weight of a 2 person tent even for one person. In old days I carried an REI Half Dome everywhere. Later when I was hiking more dry weather, it became my car camping tent. After the poles finally disintegrated, I replaced it with a Marmot Limelight 2. Both remain marginally viable, though heavy, options probably worth the extra weight if you'll be in the tent a few days.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for all the replies guys, I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 on the way.

Tom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For a 1 man I'd have gone UL1... it's about the largest one man out there. However, if you're ok with the additional weight there's no reason not to do the UL2.

My CS HV UL2 in action:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For those in need of replacements or repairs of tent poles...I've had great results with this small company in Vancouver, WA:

https://tentpoletechnologies.com/

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of good recommendations here. The last couple of years I have been using the Hilleberg Niak in all seasons, no major plans to change.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Brad,

It was a toss up UL1 or UL2. I went UL2, thinking if I encounter bad weather, I would be more comfortable. Also I have two young boys and sooner or later they will be tagging along.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Region6
Brad,

It was a toss up UL1 or UL2. I went UL2, thinking if I encounter bad weather, I would be more comfortable. Also I have two young boys and sooner or later they will be tagging along.

Go read the reviews on that Big Agnes Copper Spur junk they call a tent. If you want drooping poles because the elastic weakens after just a year or a leaky tent or stitching coming loose or zippers that require two hands to operate, keep it.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Spur-HV-UL2

"I came back home and wanted to test it in the controlled setting. So, on a rainy evening I setup Copper Spur HV UL2 and Flying Diamond 8 tents in the back yard and observed that Copper Spur HV UL2 had water seepage from the floor but Flying Diamond had water under tent but didn't seep in. I wonder if it's because Copper Spur has 1200mm floor coating vs Flying Diamond's 1500mm. I'll be return this tent because it doesn't serve the purpose for me here in Texas and worrying if I get hit by the rain."

If you want a real tent that actually lists the specific fabric it is made of on their website, and the leader in the industry, cancel your Big Agnes order and go buy a real tent. You can thank me later.

There’s a reason Mountain Hardwear tents rule Everest, and have for years. They’re the best.

And the big big big positive, they no longer spray the chemical fire retardant junk on the tent fabric that you have to breath all night.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/as...cgid=equipment-tents-backpacking#start=0

P.S. Mountain Hardwear Aspect 2 has a 1500 floor.

P.S.S. Big Agnes response to their leaking floors:
"Water likes to move and with a thicker footprint water can be pushed up through the floor of the tent. In those circumstances you will find that not using a footprint is a better option."

Instead of building a bulletproof tent, just don't use a footprint, so you'll wear out / damage the floor sooner. LMAO

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 07/18/19.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,223
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.