Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
It's subjective. I prefer a S&W double action .44 magnum over a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum all things equal. I definitely prefer the Bisley grip over the plow handle in heavy recoiling single actions.

Agree.

The FA grip is a blend, so to speak.

It's near perfect, IMO.

That's why I was pushing the smaller frame 97 in .357 for 180 hard cast.

Easy to carry, easy to control, deadly with decent bullet placement.

DF

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I hope I respond to everyone reasonably efficiently.

1. She is familiar with trigger action shooting. We both recognize that were the near-zero confrontation to occur, she would use that shooting method. So rather than fight that ingrained learned response, use it with a more powerful revolver of the same type.

2. Having tried several revolvers of varying power on the range, her drop in effectiveness when shooting 45 Colt +P (not my FA 97 handloads) and 44 Magnum is severe. She believes 357 Magnum, a significant measure more powerful than the "FBI" loads she uses in her 640, is as much gun as she can handle. Again, rather than try to convince her of an alternative, I acquired a 357 Magnum revolver of the same trigger action that is heavy enough to reduce recoil effect while being capable of safely shooting any 357 Magnum ammunition.

3. So the next step is to identify the ammunition that will be most effective when shot from that revolver. I shoot only "FBI" ammunition from my Ruger SP101s, so I'm no help for a heavier, more powerful 357 Magnum ammunition solution. My recommendation for using one of my FA 97s is a non-starter. And my "generosity" maxes out with the Highway Patrolman.

4. With my heavy 45 Colt ammunition (300-grain Saeco SWC-GC @ 1150 fps ± 75) I am a "believer" in straight penetration with any expansion being an afterthought so long as penetration remains straight and [preferably] through-and-through. Once I move beyond the "FBI" load 38 Special LSWC-HP 158 grains, I am not able to make a knowledgeable choice.

5. So I ask of shooters who can help.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
It's subjective. I prefer a S&W double action .44 magnum over a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum all things equal. I definitely prefer the Bisley grip over the plow handle in heavy recoiling single actions.

I'm just the opposite. The high hump behind the hammer on a S&W clobbers the lowest "knuckle" at the base of my thumb inside the web of my hand. I've used S&W grips that offset that a good bit, but not completely, and they come with handling / concealment characteristics that offset any perceived advantage the DA ever had over SA. frown Not a win .. not for me anyway.

Regarding Ruger SA grips, I'm not a huge bisley fan. I absolutely appreciate the recoil reduction with my .454. However, I've had a couple Bisley .44s and it's a net loss. Yes, there is a bit less perceived recoil. That is more than offset by losing the ability to point-shoot the gun effectively as well as creating a fairly butt-heavy feel I don't like. At .454 recoil levels, take the Bisley grip. At .44 recoil level, give me the smaller Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk (4-5/8" and 5-1/2") grip. I'm not sure yet where the .480 falls. Got it, haven't had time to shoot it.

DF - I haven't shot the smaller FA grip, the only FA I've fired was Ringman's .454. It was a bit peppy. Overall, I liked it, but he had 2 studs added for attaching a sling to the sides of the gun that scuffed my hand under recoil in a fairly disconcerting way. With those gone I think I could have liked it considerably.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by FreeMe
BTW, I found that Buffalo Bore 180gr load to be very accurate.

I fired 5 of those from my 12oz S&W 360, I am "saving" the rest of them.

Until your hand heals? I think I shot 7 of those until the webbing between my thumb and first finger said "no".

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Naphtali -

As you've laid things out, I'd be happy with a 180 grain lead bullet or similar marginally expanding jacketed bullet. I would not feel any less "undergunned" with a good 158 though. Hornady's factory 158 grain XTP HP load is one of my favorites.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by T_O_M

DF - I haven't shot the smaller FA grip, the only FA I've fired was Ringman's .454. It was a bit peppy. Overall, I liked it, but he had 2 studs added for attaching a sling to the sides of the gun that scuffed my hand under recoil in a fairly disconcerting way. With those gone I think I could have liked it considerably.

Tom

The 97 in .357 with 180's at full power is a whole different animal than the larger 83 in .454...

It's even fun to shoot; not so much the .454, IME.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the clarification Naphtali. Sounds logical and having no experience on bears, I’d go with a heavy lead bullet with as much meplat as possible at as high a velocity as is safe, or your friend can handle, whichever comes first.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The 97 in .357 with 180's at full power is a whole different animal than the larger 83 in .454...

I b'lieve you! smile I had not really considered the .357 angle. When I look at the FA 97 I have been thinking .32 cal, .44 special, or .45 colt. Hmmmm.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And the .357 is a six shooter. Not five.

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is where I'm supposed to label you "enabler" I think? smile smile

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'll help DF in the enabling dept - 6 shot 357 FA97

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by paul105
I'll help DF in the enabling dept - 6 shot 357 FA97

[Linked Image]

That one is fancier than mine with the octagonal barrel. Those are really nice.

To cap your enabling efforts, tell him how sweet it shoots, even with heavy 180 gr. loads, how controlable it is, etc. etc....

You've about got him there, he's close. Go ahead and close the deal... cool

grin

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/08/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Handguns are about bullets and in reality there is very little difference between what Buffalo Bore turns out and what one can easily make at home and even the neophyte will make it lead less if going the lead route.

The NOE 173 Keith is perfectly at home driven at 950 fps. in 38 cases in 4" 38 guns with Longshot powder or past 1,200 with 2,400 powder in adequate strength guns, sans a gas check.

Thje 180 FN by LBT, gas checked and driven to 1,400 in a six inch gun with 18 grs. of Hodgdon Lil' Gun is about all there is on tap in the 357. Like those of yesteryear discovered, the hitting ability of the 38 case wins in precision to the amount of velocity gained on the .10 inch longer case, which with solids is nil. The 180 LBT does make the heavy 357 fly well and still fit in most all 357 cylinders while the 173 Keith does not.

Noise, racket and recoil is primarily a function of powders stuffed into a handgun case; any ball powder after/slower than 2400 requires a bit of concentration that doesn't equate to any amount of velocity gained by using it, unless we are wanting positive expansion from jacketed bullets within certain ranges.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems I remember reading that Freedom Arms will void the warranty if you send a FA revolver back with cut top strap from using Lil gun powder. Seems it burns really hot, evidently acting like a plasma torch at the cylinder gap. I would think that would take a lot of shooting. I didn’t Goggle it, probably should have before posting. Check it out to confirm.

DF

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Naphtali,

When I read your post, my very first thoughts were that you need to seek out and listen to the advice of IDAHO 1945, aka Dick. He is a true SME when it comes to bears and handguns, having decades of experience hunting them with all manner of handguns in the Rockies. When I scrolled down and noted that he replied, I chuckled, and was glad to see that he had. May on the web often simply regurgitate what they have read elsewhere, and what they read is often information that has been read somewhere else. Idaho1945, has enough handgun hunting experience to fill numerous books and that includes bears of the Idaho/Montana variety.

For more than a decade I have been gently nudging him to write a book!

I would heed his wise counsel.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Seems I remember reading that Freedom Arms will void the warranty if you send a FA revolver back with cut top strap from using Lil gun powder. Seems it burns really hot, evidently acting like a plasma torch at the cylinder gap. I would think that would take a lot of shooting. I didn’t Goggle it, probably should have before posting. Check it out to confirm.

DF

I have not heard the top strap cutting but, forcing cone erosion was fir sure the origin of the “no warranty” when useing Lillgun

Last edited by jwp475; 07/11/19.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

DF

I have heard the top strap cutting but, forcing cone erosion was fir sure the origin of the “no warranty” when useing Lillgun

Thanks for that info.

Lil’gun must really burn hot.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300 MP runs close to lilgun in velocity without all the 'controversy' that surrounds lil gun regarding heat and top straps.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like 300 MP, also a great .22 K-Hornet and Hornet powder.

DF

T
T
I have a 4' Mod 28. I shoot hard cast 168 gr SWC over a stout measure of 2400. An outstanding load, very accurate, great penetration.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (204guy, 007FJ, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,527
Posts18,452,853
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.