G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
My question was just trying to ferret more details from Youper. Since he hasn't experienced or noticed any issues, I'm curious about details like what model, age, rifle/chambering and whatnot. Does it get shot a lot, etc. Some feel that the older scopes are better, and that quality of production and materials went down. But others claim it's the design. Some probably feel it is both.

The three I've shot the most are: A 3-9x40 VX-II from 2005 on a .30-'06 for 2450 rounds, an M8 6x42 from the 90's on a .223 for 2096 rounds, and a FX-3 from 2007 or 2008 on a 8x57 for 1186 rounds.

Thanks Youper! Didn't think you were going to chime in on that. Might I indulge in one more question? What bullet weights do you mostly shoot in the .30-06 and 8x57?

The vast majority was 150 gr. with both rounds. I hunt with heavier bullets, but shoot lighter and cheaper bullets at the range.

If it matters both scopes are mounted with Leupold DD rings.

Much appreciated sir.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=LeupoldOptics]Please find the details for tomorrow’s 24HourCampFire exclusive Leupold Livestream available below.

Time
5pm PST

Link:

I finally clicked on the link to see what it was all about.

The link is dead.

That's pretty crappy.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I do however, resent the insinuation that I don't shoot enough or can't shoot well enough to know whether my scoped rifles are truly zeoed or retain zero. I am capable of shooting half MOA groups at 200 yards with my scoped rifles and regularly kill woodchucks at distances of 250-350 yards with them in the summer. In other words, my scoped rifles are quite well zeroed and I am well capable of determining that. I have virtually no need or use for any more precision than that here.

You know, I'm a member on several other hunting/shooting websites. I don't say the things on those sites that I say here but those other sites do not have the condescending ass holes found here. In other words you tend to get what you give with me.

Well said Blackheart.

I've been accused of not being a real shooter as well since i didn't agree with the self-proclaimed 'experts' on this site about a scope.

I'd take my Leupold on my 270Wby anywhere and be more than comfortable with it. I have targets with 3 shots touching in the X and haven't touched the zero in more than 10 years (yes that is a set and forget rifle/scope). I don't dial it for shots while hunting, i practice and holdover with a plain duplex reticle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CJC73
I do however, resent the insinuation that I don't shoot enough or can't shoot well enough to know whether my scoped rifles are truly zeoed or retain zero. I am capable of shooting half MOA groups at 200 yards with my scoped rifles and regularly kill woodchucks at distances of 250-350 yards with them in the summer. In other words, my scoped rifles are quite well zeroed and I am well capable of determining that. I have virtually no need or use for any more precision than that here.

You know, I'm a member on several other hunting/shooting websites. I don't say the things on those sites that I say here but those other sites do not have the condescending ass holes found here. In other words you tend to get what you give with me.

Well said Blackheart.

I've been accused of not being a real shooter as well since i didn't agree with the self-proclaimed 'experts' on this site about a scope.

I'd take my Leupold on my 270Wby anywhere and be more than comfortable with it. I have targets with 3 shots touching in the X and haven't touched the zero in more than 10 years (yes that is a set and forget rifle/scope). I don't dial it for shots while hunting, i practice and holdover with a plain duplex reticle

Do you believe you would be as "effective " on a shot beyond your holdover distance as a guy with a scope that dials accurately?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i use mostly 2 brand of scopes Leupold and Nightforce ,yes for target shooting these days i may use Nightforce scopes and even on my one deer rifle. but i own around 20 Leupold scopes many are on some very fine rifles and all shoot well, but this week i finally was able to purchased a Browning BLR takedown s.s. and what i consider a handy type survival rifle in a common big enough cartridge 30-06. now on this BLR rifle this will be in my truck all huntin seasons from now on ,camping and canoe trips too ,this BLR will have just a trusted old common 3x9 LEUPOLD.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by irfubar

Well said Blackheart.

Do you believe you would be as "effective " on a shot beyond your holdover distance as a guy with a scope that dials accurately?

Yes, but i hold myself to a certain distance while hunting. Don't always have time to dial while hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What us Leupold uses must acknowledge is that those on the other side play a different game. Using holdover, even tho it works well for 300 and closer, will never be as precise as dialing and holding dead on. No matter what the range. Now, stretch it out to 500 plus and holdover becomes a nebulous guess.

I’ve shot a couple Deer over 300 and was confident in being able to do so along with having confidence In the Leupold being used. I found little joy in it for my own personal reasons, however that is for another discussion.

We can shoot a lot and be excellent riflemen within the parameters of our equipment. Any who think different is not being realistic. However, when some are stretching the distance, then holdover fails miserably and three touching at 100 is only a start, and one best be using the most accurate and repeatable equipment. These guys shoot more than a little also, and others need to acknowledge they use the best equipment for the game they play. They need to acknowledge that we are handicapped little if any, by using using Leupold for the game we play.

Addition: I’m sure if they don’t have time to dial past holdover distance, they pass on the shot until they do. We are not the only ones who’d have to decide, go, no go.

Last edited by battue; 07/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I’d be knocking on wood.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well said Blackheart.

If a rifle is capable of touching 3 shots at 100 yards, and it does so consistently with the same POI for the group center, then obviously the scope is holding zero just fine, and is not shifting. That scope would be considered one of the good ones. For now. Round count kills.

Ever since I moved away from using Leupolds and similarly-built scopes, if I am troubleshooting accuracy issues, “swap scope for one that is known to be reliable” is no longer the Number 1 most likely solution on my troubleshooting list...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston

I’d be knocking on wood.

Practice and confidence. And it's in a synthetic stock, so.....

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If a rifle is capable of touching 3 shots at 100 yards, and it does so consistently with the same POI for the group center, then obviously the scope is holding zero just fine, and is not shifting. That scope would be considered one of the good ones. For now. Round count kills...

Round count on that rifle... probably close to a 1000 now

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I’d be knocking on wood.

If a rifle is capable of touching 3 shots at 100 yards, and it does so consistently with the same POI for the group center, then obviously the scope is holding zero just fine, and is not shifting. That scope would be considered one of the good ones. For now. Round count kills...

So, you would have confidence with that combination at 500 or more and using holdover?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’d be knocking on wood.

Oh my..........

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, My oh my....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’d be knocking on wood.

Three shots touching the X ...... ya I always sight dead on at 100yd then accurately use holdovers past 500yd ....... he kinda proves the point ...... lack of experience and all

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by irfubar

I’d be knocking on wood.

Three shots touching the X ...... ya I always sight dead on at 100yd then accurately use holdovers past 500yd ....... he kinda proves the point ...... lack of experience and all
;

And you prove the point of the when one ASSumes something. lack of common sense.

where did i say "past 500yd"? what lack of experience and all you talking about? if one practices and knows his rifle and capabilities, that, to me, IS experience.

Last edited by CJC73; 07/15/19.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue

I’d be knocking on wood.

So, you would have confidence with that combination at 500 or more and using holdover?

Yes, as i said in an earlier post, but you probably didn't read that since it doesn't go along with all of the assumptions happening. I limit my shots when i do that. I'm an ethical hunter, i don't shoot beyond what i know i can do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not questioning your shooting ability or your experience, but I'd be starting to keep a close eye on that scope (and that barrel) right about now... wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I'm not questioning your shooting ability or your experience, but I'd be starting to keep a close eye on that scope (and that barrel) right about now... wink

Scope and barrel are fine still. Just had it out last week, first shot from cold barrel, hit the bulls-eye and hit the 1" circle at 200 as well on subsequent shots that day

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

I’d be knocking on wood.

Yes, as i said in an earlier post, but you probably didn't read that since it doesn't go along with all of the assumptions happening. I limit my shots when i do that. I'm an ethical hunter, i don't shoot beyond what i know i can do.

I must admit I am a little confused...... so yes holdover at 500yds is effective....... and you are capable with that method? or not?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh and another question.... lets say you want to shoot a target at 630 yds how much do you holdover? also how do you replicate that hold over on the next shot?

Page 18 of 30 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 22kHornet, 54 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,567
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.