Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone ever had the pleasure? Might make my bucket list, would like to get anyone's ideas on it.
Thanks, Kid

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those things are fast! My wife took her Ithaca pump to Namibia in 2012 and shot a few at a waterhole one morning.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Our Own Mule deer and Eileen clowning around on a Sand Grouse shoot with me a few years ago!

[Linked Image]

My advice to to pair it with your Plains Game safari...the daily flight only lasts about 1/2 hour

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yes, sounds like an add-on, vs the main event.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We shot a few Sand grouse one evening before dark while hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe. Beautiful birds! My partner and myself tried to shoot a few dove one day around a waterhole, too. I can remember we were given a WIDE variety of shot/shells for that...a good time! It was a nice break to take from the big game.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They humbled me in Masailand. I was using my Valmet/Tikka 512 in 12ga/9.3X74R. I swear I was shooting the rifle barrel by mistake. I made a lot of holes in the air. I did manage to have one fly into a shot string. They're a unique bird and are like shooting a cross between snipe and mourning doves.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just did the sand grouse add on in Namibia and it was great.

you will have about 1 hour in the morning and 1/2 to 1 hour in the afternoon.

there is guinea fowl (different kinds) and francolin (different kinds), doves to go with the sand grouse.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Shot them in the Kalahari on both my Safaris in Botswana. Sporty wingshooting at a waterhole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did two mornings of hunting the Sand Grouse...was a nice little break from all the stalking, well worth it!

And yes, very sporting!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't just think about it... absolutely do it!
I planned it into a plains game hunt in Namibia years ago, and it was wonderful. We had two species coming to water holes on our farm... Burchells and Namaqua. Fast action twice a day, though you had to find them again after a few shoots because it being a wet year in the Kalahari they could shift holes easily. If you can hit Mourning Dove, you can hit Sand Grouse. I did just fine with a 20 ga.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great sport well worth it but I would do it as an add on to plains game hunting. There is surprising variety around the water holes, I think I shot seven types of birds: sand grouse, dove, guinea, and waterfowl. I had a fish eagle retrieve an Egyptian goose for me. Landed in the water and I was reluctant to wade in and retrieve it as crocs and hippo's can show up even in small waterholes. The eagle grabbed the bird and I was surprised it could get airborne with it. I yelled at the eagle and it dropped the bird within 20 feet of me. I dressed some of the birds for a tip to the eagle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Just did the sand grouse add on in Namibia and it was great.

you will have about 1 hour in the morning and 1/2 to 1 hour in the afternoon.

there is guinea fowl (different kinds) and francolin (different kinds), doves to go with the sand grouse.

My Namibian hunts were the same. We hunted birds while waiting for out capes to dry for several days at the end of our hunt. LOTS of birds and great shooting. The nuances were: we had a worker who hide in the bush and was called out to collect birds, the birds we shot went straight to the worker, we were told if we wanted to eat some we needed to ask the worker if we could have some of the birds. Damn turtles were faster than most labs getting to birds we dropped into the pond - guess they have to eat also. Staying after the doves and grouse leave is a worthy event seeing all sorts of different birds, plus who knows what might walk in but after all the shooting I never saw anything but birds. I shot birds 4 or 5 times. Shotgun shells are expensive in Namibia, our PH let us have them pretty much at cost but if I recall, it was $1 a round.

I found them easier to shoot than our doves. We sat near water and the birds pretty much used the same routes.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,159 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.