Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
After measuring stupid low runout using a dial caliper and runout gauge, I’ll continue to buy Forster.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A fella doesn't need dies for a flinter.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I like all I have tried.

So far that has been Lyman, Lee, RCBS, Hornady and Redding.

My wildest excess has been with Lee dies.

Being lazy, I decided to buy a set of dies to load 44 special.

I already had a nice set of carbide RCBS dies for my 44 Magnum.

With LEE being cheep and cheerful.......I sprang for a set so I would not have to mess around with anything.

They even send the little ring with the RCBS dies so you dont have to re adjust..........

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by kennymauser
I use a set of Bonanza Match Dies for my 222 Rem. They came with the rifle when I traded for it.

Are there many Bonanza dies around anymore? They have that floating bullet guide that pinches my fingers if I don't watch it!

Ken

Yes, they are called Forsters now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a question for y'all that have answered this thread so far.

Of the dies you haven't picked as the best, are there any dies you'd tell a fellow to stay away from?

I've got mostly RCBS and Redding, but I've been buying more Lee dies lately.

To answer my own question, the only dies I'd say to avoid are RCBS X-Dies. I bought a set in 30-06, and kept having the sizing die break. RCBS was really nice about replacing the expander assembly, but I finally tired of the drama and bought a regular RCBS sizing die and not had trouble since. I have an X-Die version in 30-30, and it has kept working flawlessly, so I think the problem lies in the shaft that holds the expander. If it is too long, it is too weak to handle the stress.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Lee Collett die
Redding body die
Forster seating die

That's the "best" of each as I see it.

On the cheap, I buy the Lee four die set and call it good usually.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Lee Collett die
Redding body die
Forster seating die

That's the "best" of each as I see it.

On the cheap, I buy the Lee four die set and call it good usually.

+1

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I get a kick out of the Lee collet die I have for my 220 Swift.

Its like a 200 dollar rez pony beating a 20,000 horse round the barrels.

That is funny and so true.

Even cheaper: get a 4 die Deluxe Lee set, grind out the neck of the FL die to make a body die. Have posted this picture several times. Works so well, I'll post it again, saves the cost of a Redding body die.

The Lee seater isn't the best, but works OK. Adding a Forster seater will seal the deal, IMO.

Most buzz for the buck, for sure. Spending a lot more doesn't assure more performance.

And, I do check run out with a Sinclair tool, correct as need with a TruAngle tool. Set up like this, no need to screw it to the bench. This is a lot handier, IMO. Works just as well and you can put it away when not in use. Doesn't clutter up the bench, get in the way.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
roundoak,

Yeah, I had some Herter's dies as well. Heard years later they were RCBS seconds, but dunno if that was true. But had really suck luck with one set of .243 dies.

Do know that for a while in the 1970's, RCBS was saving money by reaming sizing-die bodies first, for cartridges based on the same basic case, such as .308 or .30-06. Then they'd ream the necks later, depending on how many order they got for particular cartridges.

I know this because I bought two sets of RCBS dies in the 1970's that had the necks of the full-length sizers measurably out of alignment with the body of the die. This was proven by taken once-fired brass, which measured pretty much absolutely straight, then running it through the FL sizer with a expander, decapper rod removed. This pissed me off, since one of the dies was a "custom" set of .338-06 dies, which I spent quite a bit of money on while still in college. They corrected that production mistake a few years later.

Had a similar experience with a couple sets of RCBS dies purchased in the early '80s. They made me a big fan of everyone else's dies since I figured out why I couldn't hit a barn door with ammo loaded with them.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I blamed the drop in RCBS QC on the flurry of companies being sold to one another in the late 1970s. Blount, Speer, RCBS, Outers, etc. It seemed there was a sale or amalgamation every six months.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1
I’ve got about everything on the shelf, but most of my die boxes are a mix.

This trio is probably my favorite. Forster comp seater, Lee collet and a Redding body . Tough to beat for my needs.

[Linked Image]

I've got several sets exactly like that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
roundoak,

Yeah, I had some Herter's dies as well. Heard years later they were RCBS seconds, but dunno if that was true. But had really suck luck with one set of .243 dies.

Do know that for a while in the 1970's, RCBS was saving money by reaming sizing-die bodies first, for cartridges based on the same basic case, such as .308 or .30-06. Then they'd ream the necks later, depending on how many order they got for particular cartridges.

I know this because I bought two sets of RCBS dies in the 1970's that had the necks of the full-length sizers measurably out of alignment with the body of the die. This was proven by taken once-fired brass, which measured pretty much absolutely straight, then running it through the FL sizer with a expander, decapper rod removed. This pissed me off, since one of the dies was a "custom" set of .338-06 dies, which I spent quite a bit of money on while still in college. They corrected that production mistake a few years later.

Had a similar experience with a couple sets of RCBS dies purchased in the early '80s. They made me a big fan of everyone else's dies since I figured out why I couldn't hit a barn door with ammo loaded with them.

Did you hit the barn door with your flinter?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Warner Tool Co.have served me well.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
roundoak,

Never tried. Tell you what.....step out about 100 yards and point to which ear you want pierced.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A number of my RCBS dies were made back when their QC wasn't exactly stellar. I transitioned over to Redding and have not looked back.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Got a little oof everything. Pacific, Herters, CH are some of the older ones. Redding is most likely the finest I have. I like Lee for handgun with their powder thru expander dies. Ease of mounting powder measure. With around 50 sets I have a lot of mix and match like the rest of you. The things that work best. Setting them up right has helped greatly of course. And switching to a decapper and running the exxpander ball way high has given very straight ammo. Thanks Johnny B.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only dies I have had issues with were 1970 era RCBS. They promptly sent me a new one but I never knew what the problem was until I read about the separate reaming operations from John Barsenes. Other than that all have worked but some are machined nicer than others. If I had an unlimited budget it would be all Wilson, Whidden and Harrell dies, but since I don't, I mix and match and I like Lee because I can modify them without worrying about screwing them up. Now I get the three or four die set and re-ream the seater with the chamber reamer and hone the sizer or convert it to a bump die. Like others I usually add a Forster seater at some point.

The other RCBS issue I had was operator error but I don't like the crimp feature, if the dies are set wrong it gets in the way or if some brass is longer it will create issue (yes I know trim more often). But when the crimp is too low it buckles the necks even when used properly if the champfer is not good it can buckle or induce run out. I have been meaning to take out the crimper of my RCBS dies but have not gotten around to it especially since I now take more care to not set the die too low.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/15/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I seldom use the crimp on seating dies. I have Lee Factory Crimp Dies for all the cartridges that I reload. I have a mix of Lee, Redding, and RCBS sets. The only one I have had issues with is the Lee Collet Die for .30-06. It just won’t neck size adequately to hold most bullets even finger push tight. I should just send it back I suppose. Thanks for your replies. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WAM
I seldom use the crimp on seating dies. I have Lee Factory Crimp Dies for all the cartridges that I reload. I have a mix of Lee, Redding, and RCBS sets. The only one I have had issues with is the Lee Collet Die for .30-06. It just won’t neck size adequately to hold most bullets even finger push tight. I should just send it back I suppose. Thanks for your replies. Happy Trails

What's the diameter of the mandrel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
roundoak,

Never tried. Tell you what.....step out about 100 yards and point to which ear you want pierced.

OK 'Davy', whilst standing there whistling Dixie.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.