Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use a vest because mine has dedicated compartments I'm used to. And it's old enough to have quite a few holes worn so I'm really used to it. But if I'm not packing fold up decoys in the back and it's a warm day I may drop back to a 3 pouch shooter's bag. Box call, mouth call, half a dozen extra turkey bullets, hat, gloves, face net and a cushion hanging off the back. Fits in the 3 bags just fine.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I use a chest rig made for turkey calls. It rides low enough that I can wear a bino harness above it if I want.

Don't know about blinds. I trained myself to sit motionless until I could do it for an hour and a half.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the traditional Filson upland vest. If I need to carry more then a back pack. I also like the canvas surveyors vest from Forestry supplies, this is good in thorn brush. The other styles are too tactical looking for me and fewer pockets means less fumbling around and also reduces the tendency to carry too much stuff.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Tejano
I like the traditional Filson upland vest. If I need to carry more then a back pack. I also like the canvas surveyors vest from Forestry supplies, this is good in thorn brush. The other styles are too tactical looking for me and fewer pockets means less fumbling around and also reduces the tendency to carry too much stuff.

I would hate for a turkey to think you were too tactical.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It makes no difference at all; a vest is an accessory to carry your hunting stuff. I've hunted with a vest to carry my stuff and without a vest, just using bellow pockets in my pants. Killed birds either way - as long as you have a shotgun and some shells you can kill a bird, everything else is an added tool to assist in the main effort.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for all the input T-hunters.

I'm looking at vests on clearance now and just cant do it. I'm going to find a sling type back pack that can be put in front and still allow you to shoot.

My reasoning... it seems like most vests have marginal pads so I would be making one anyways.

The other reason for a chest pack... all that same stuff goes with me all the time and then have separate packs for rainy day blinds or clear day blinds.

MN turkey season is only one week (really 3 days for me) so I go no mater what the weather is. just be prepared for anything. The temp swings are huge because I walked in on frost this year and carried my tom out at 65 F. Always wind up packing a layer or two extra.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Trumpet call around my neck and I owl hoot with my mouth. Don’t use decoys. Usually a diaphragm in my wallet as a second call but this year it was all trumpet and we did very well on the turkeys.

It’s amazing what guys carry to call in a turkey.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Side question...

The guys that carry hardly anything...

1. how long is your season?
2, Can you hunt the full day?
3. Do you only hunt part of the day?
4. Are you close to your hunting ground?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by humdinger
Side question...

1. A month
2. For half of it
3. Just depends on my schedule
4. Close to some. 3 hours from some.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

You get a whole month to hunt?
How many birds can you take?

Our season is total length of 6 weeks with 6 seasons in it. One bird, one week.

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Originally Posted by humdinger
Side question...

1. A month
2. For half of it
3. Just depends on my schedule
4. Close to some. 3 hours from some.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Our season in Wisconsin is the same as Minnesota except we can buy tags for multiple seasons as long as the area and time period you want has leftover tags. And some never run out.

We can hunt all day but I only will hunt if I’m on a gobbling bird. I don’t blind call and wait. It’s not what turkey hunting is to me. Which later in the spring that can mean if I don’t get on a bird early I’m fishing or something else until later in the afternoon.

I used to carry a ton of 💩 but as I have simplified my success has gone up.

Last edited by widrahthaar; 07/18/19.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Our season in Wisconsin is the same as Minnesota except we can buy tags for multiple seasons as long as the area and time period you want has leftover tags. And some never run out.

We can hunt all day but I only will hunt if I’m on a gobbling bird. I don’t blind call and wait. It’s not what turkey hunting is to me. Which later in the spring that can mean if I don’t get on a bird early I’m fishing or something else until later in the afternoon.

I used to carry a ton of 💩 but as I have simplified my success has gone up.

I started turkey hunting with my WI father in law in WI while I was dating my bride. They stuck us MN hunters in the last season because we were out of towners.

He lost interest in turkey hunting and I lost my area where I turkey hunted. A group Aaron Rogers is part of bought the paper land and made it in to a golf course!

I should check if they offer surplus tags are available to out of staters.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I used to have a vest and had it packed full. But I really don't like them. Now I carry binos, a few diaphragm calls, a few slate calls that are in a case that hangs from my belt, and sometimes a cushion to sit on. Much light and more mobile if I need to be.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve read this thread and thought to myself that some guys sure carry a bunch of stuff around to kill a turkey. In my ignorance I never dreamed that there were places with 1 week seasons or half day hunting.
Our season is 1 month each spring and fall, 3 birds in the spring and 1 in fall, shotgun in the spring and rifle in the fall. Fall archery season parallels deer archery and you can kill a couple more I think and hens are legal, October 1- December 31.

I carry a shotgun and 1 diaphragm call and a face mask in the spring with my binocular and in the fall usually just a rifle and bino. I may cover 4 miles a morning in the spring so I don’t carry any extra stuff since I’ll hopefully be toting a 20 pound bird on the way out.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL....depends on what land/type I’m hunting and the birds. I own vests and sometimes use them for certain things, but it’s typically a small messenger or sling pack with some essentials and room for some binos or other optic. Often I have a pack for carrying decoys and/or packing out birds, or just a slip sling tote. I use a lounger chair, with the pack attached a lot these days, instead of an inner tube, just because of an arthritic tail bone and a spine fusion. Having a good lounger has probably helped me kill more birds than my favorite scratch box, mouth calls, or decoys.....to just keep me from fidgeting or deciding to reposition too soon. We have 6 weeks and a 5-bird limit. I’ll shoot coyotes, too....so sometimes there’s a suppressed pistol along.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 10/06/19.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.