Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone here or are there outside sources that have proved out Lee's theory?

Lee's theory:

"Tests demonstrate that even bullets with no cannelure will shoot more accurately if crimped in place with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. A firm crimp improves accuracy because pressure must build to a higher level before the bullet begins to move. This higher start pressure insures a more uniform pressure curve and less velocity variation. Even powder selection is less critical. Until now, handloaders seated the bullet to touch the rifling to achieve similar results. This is not always possible nor desirable."

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some people are just never going to be convinced of anything unless they do their self and half of those can't even convince their self of what they already know.

Just buy ONE for your self tighta** and try it.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take this as NO, you have not tried it.

Last edited by roundoak; 07/15/19.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't do anything for me and if you over do it you will get wonky case necks. But it has worked for others so I can't make any hard and fast claim.

Why do you want to crimp? If for a hard kicker or auto maybe yes but for anything else adjusting neck tension is better and I would invest in a collet die before getting a crimp die if accuracy is the objective. Lots written on how to tweak them for best work.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whether the claim is accurate or not is not for me to say, but have played a lot with varying neck tension which in my book is kinda like crimping, depending on your definition of crimping. Some things make great changes, and others not so great. Always found that 2-4 thou tension is adequate under most circumstances. Anyway a guy over on accurate shooter did a small sample test matching your question. Take the data for what it’s worth. I didn’t see any drastic enough change to brag about.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Last edited by Swifty52; 07/15/19.

Swifty
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine reside in the junk box

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak

I use 'em for every caliber I load for. 44, 357, 9mm, 30-06, 45-70, 223, 10mm...

Now, do you know any more than you did when you started the thread? Some people like 'em, some people hate 'em. You don't know any of those guys, so who are you going to believe?

Last edited by JackRyan; 07/15/19.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm in the "some people hate 'em" camp.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you make straight ammo with proper neck tension, they are not going to help you.

If the LFCD makes you ammo shoot better, go back and address the other two variables.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/15/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use them on all straight wall cartridges, it’s just easier and more forgiving if your cases are not all trimmed perfectly. 44,454, 357,45-70, etc

I also crimp every semi-auto rifle load with one, because a setback bullet can ruin your day. As far as accuracy, I noticed no difference in my bolt rifles so I don’t use them for those rounds, but it didn’t seem to hurt either.

I know most people don’t crimp rifle rounds, but I’ve had .223 bullets get set back because they didn’t feed properly out of the mag in an AR so I’m probably over anal about it. I know plenty of folks that don’t and get along fine.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone here or are there outside sources that have proved out Lee's theory?

Lee's theory:

"Tests demonstrate that even bullets with no cannelure will shoot more accurately if crimped in place with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. A firm crimp improves accuracy because pressure must build to a higher level before the bullet begins to move. This higher start pressure insures a more uniform pressure curve and less velocity variation. Even powder selection is less critical. Until now, handloaders seated the bullet to touch the rifling to achieve similar results. This is not always possible nor desirable."

I've tested otherwise identical loads in bottle neck cartridges that were crimped with the Lee die and uncrimped using bullets with a crimping groove and the bullets seated to use this groove. The result has been the same the three or four times I did it: The crimped loads shot slightly worse. I use it when I have to crimp such as a .30-30, but not otherwise.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Consistent neck tension is key to accuracy. If you don't know how to accomplish this through annealing and proper sizing, the Lee FCD may be a shortcut for you. I never could accomplish with it what Lee stated. I had better results annealing cases.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use them for 223’s I shoot in AR’s also.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use them to put a crimp on cannelured bullets mostly. A second die for crimping comes in handy and the LFC die performs that task.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You have to work up loads using a crimp die because it does change pressure. If you try and use the crimp die with an already developed load, then accuracy is out the window.

I saw an accuracy increase when using the factory crimp die with the 22 Hornet and K Hornet, otherwise used them on 30/30, 35 Rem, and 444 Marlin.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Whether the claim is accurate or not is not for me to say, but have played a lot with varying neck tension which in my book is kinda like crimping, depending on your definition of crimping. Some things make great changes, and others not so great. Always found that 2-4 thou tension is adequate under most circumstances. Anyway a guy over on accurate shooter did a small sample test matching your question. Take the data for what it’s worth. I didn’t see any drastic enough change to brag about.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Swifty, thanks for posting info.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JackRyan

I use 'em for every caliber I load for. 44, 357, 9mm, 30-06, 45-70, 223, 10mm...

Now, do you know any more than you did when you started the thread? Some people like 'em, some people hate 'em. You don't know any of those guys, so who are you going to believe?

In the context of my question, did you test for accuracy on crimped versus non-crimped?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I did.
That’s why there in the junk box

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use them for 5.56, my M1 Garand ammo, and my Rem 350 mag. I have no idea which works best, crimped or not.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JackRyan

In the context of my question, did you test for accuracy on crimped versus non-crimped?

Didn't need to.

I shot and reloaded all those same ammunition for decades before I ever first tried a Lee FC die.

I didn't buy the next one because the first one was worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.