Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mule Deer, have you heard or used this type of chronograph > Steinert Sensing System AS Super Chrono made in Norway ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've found the chronograph to be interesting, but not essential.

[Linked Image]

Like many others here, I came up with good, accurate handloads long before I had a chronograph. They worked fine at the range and in the field. Then I went chronograph crazy and used them on all of my different handloads, and to check some factory ammo as well.

Now, I use it when the whim strikes. Always interesting, but perhaps not as useful as I once thought it to be.

Regards, Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Alvaro,

What sort of variations are you seeing from day to day?

33 and 41 fps difference in the average of two five-shot strings... First one a .270WCF loaded with modern H4831SC, and second one a 6,5x57R loaded with Vihta's N160. All four strings recorded at similar temperatures.

I know it is not much, but was wondering if positioning of the LR would be the cause.

You think such a difference is within the load randomness?

Alvaro

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
It sounds like more variation that I'd expect. Are you using batteries or the rechargeable unit?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A rechargeable unit, a 20000Ah power bank with plenty of charge before and after those uses.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
How many rounds in each string?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chamois

33 and 41 fps difference in the average of two five-shot strings... First one a .270WCF loaded with modern H4831SC, and second one a 6,5x57R loaded with Vihta's N160. All four strings recorded at similar temperatures.

Alvaro

Five shots in each string, John.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds a little out of the ordinary. Were the barrels cleaned for one session, and fouled for the other? Have seen that make a difference on occasion.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am not sure... Maybe, but I clean every 40 or so, so they never get filthy. Both are Dyna Bore Coated, by the way. I

I am a bit puzzled, I admit.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
grin grin

WELL !! I guess giving photoPUKEIT a piece of my mind had some affect. The other day 'they' only said, "oops".
I notice today that they got their act together. The FIRST pic was posted AS I intended .
RETARDS !!

[quote=jwall >> On P 7

PIX for Demo only.

[Linked Image]

photoPUKEIT is NOT cooperating. I'm UNDER the limit of images for free hosting but THEY are being XXXXXXXXXXXX.
I'm contacting them and telling them what I think and the FREE press they are receiving.

[Linked Image]

*!*! it only takes a couple of minutes to swap between top mount for diffusers to FLUSH mount for protection.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/15/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm hopelessly Neanderthal, practices which I learned from my dad on the ranch in the Oregon big empty.

Out on the rimrock table top early mornings when the air was cool and still with targets set out to 400 yards, 50 yards intervals after 200 yards.

Make the shot strings, then hike out to measure the load results and write 'em down for comparison later.

Both the second and now third generations shake their heads at 'ol uncle Puddle's routines now done in the foothills of where I now live.

But they readily admit that "he's darn deadly out to 400 yards or so...."

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Puddle,

Good technique! Did the same basic thing for many years before computer ballistic programs and laser rangefinders.

I still confirm velocity/computer results at the local range early in the mornings when the air is still.

The range has a pile of gongs scattered across it out to 1000 yards, and sometimes I shoot that far, especially when testing a magic dialing scope. But for my own purposes usually quit somewhere from 300-600, depending on the rifle.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bought my 33 from Ken when his daughter was a student at Rice. Picked it up personally from her at her place on campus.

Still use a 35 with the screens permanently mounted in a box that sets up on a single tripod quite quickly and easily. I've tried the MS and LR and can't get past their shortcomings. Have a spare 35 I may send down the road soon. Sooner or later
there will be new tech that works for me.

Great stuff MD.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I started off with a Shoot'n Chrony many years ago. It worked as advertised, and was much better than nothing. But, it was a PITA to set up, which discouraged its use at busy shooting ranges.

I switched to a Labradar last year. It is super easy to use! It is so easy, I now pretty much always collect velocity data whenever i shoot from a bench.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
MD,

I too now use dial-a-distance knobs paired with a LRF, but still don't own chrony.

I tell the young 'uns there's only the 3 C's to knocking down dinner at distance:

1. Consistent rifle
2. Consistent ammo
3. Consistent practice

With the tools we have available today, guess which C they have the most difficulty with?

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois
I am not sure... Maybe, but I clean every 40 or so, so they never get filthy. [b]Both are Dyna Bore Coated, by the way. I[/b]

I am a bit puzzled, I admit.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sounds a little out of the ordinary. Were the barrels cleaned for one session, and fouled for the other? Have seen that make a difference on occasion.

Yes it’s out of the ordinary, but have found Dyna Tek bore coat can do weird sh*t. Plus the fact that they have 0 customer service. Anyhow 30 shots on the same day in 10 shot strings, notice that the average only varies 3 fps on average over the 3 strings. Shot over a 35P but only put in the proof to avoid clutter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Shinbone,

I avoided the LabRadar for quite a while, because of reading about its limitations, both in caliber and velocity. I test a wide variety of rifles (and handguns and shotguns), usually at least 5 at a time during any range session. It did not sound like the ideal chronograph for my purposes, but eventually (being a responsible journalist) had to try one to see if my assumptions were correct, so bought one.

Loved it for the first half-dozen sessions. As you note, it's very easy to set up and use, particularly if you shoot on a public range. (I usually don't, but sometimes do.) The velocity results were exactly the same as recorded on my Oehler 35P, given the difference between muzzle velocity (LR) and 15 feet in front of the muzzle (Oehler). I also really liked getting actual muzzle velocity, though correcting for it from light-screen velocities isn't difficult.

Eventually I did test it with sub .22 caliber bullets, and loads over 4000 fps, which LR's info mentions. And they did not record, as predicted. That was OK, since probably 98% of my chronographing is within those limits.

Eventually, however, I ran into some problems. First was the necessity for resetting the velocity parameters from most centerfire rifles to the lower velocity setting for handguns, shotguns, some muzzleloaders and some blackpowder cartridge loads. Resetting wasn't difficult, but required some time--and battery life.

Then one day I had several rifles at the range, and was shooting some loads for an article involving a high-BC 6mm bullet, with a small flat base at the rear due to the long, tapered boattail. The LR would not pick up that bullet, even though it did fine with others with the same set-up, including flat-base .224s. Luckily, I had brought along the Oehler as well, and was able to finish the session.

Found the LR great within its limitations, but I spend a lot of time at the range testing stuff, and eventually realized it was costing me too much time--which in any profession is money. If the LabRadar folks ever develop a model that overcomes the present model's limits, would definitely buy another. But after actually trying the present version, my pre-use assumptions were confirmed, plus a couple of others.

It's fine unit for those shooters with less variable needs.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John - while the Labradar is a good instrument for a regular hunter like myself, I can see how it is not the best choice for a professional who has to test a wide range of ammunition.

One thing I have noticed is that the instrument can be sensitive to aiming errors, but the notch-in-the-side-of-the-case is a crude aiming system, and that is being generous. With easy-to-track 6.5mm bullets, only a slight tweak can make the difference between tracking bullets 30 yards and tracking them 120 yards. I would imagine improved aiming could make the difference between measuring smaller bullets or not at all. Unfortunately, the notch is woefully inadequate for such precision aiming.

The current Labradar is a first generation product. Hopefully, there will soon be a second gen product with improvements.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's what I'm hoping as well!

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
shinebone and Mule Deer, Thank You , i was going to order a Labradar on Monday you 2 saved me some money ,i guess i will wait tell the next generation comes out and just keep using my Oehler. i really hate setting up my Oehler but it never fails me once its set up, but its hard to use here in Minnesota with snow on the ground and half the time very cloudy in the winter. i have been now loading and shooting a 25 Creedmoor and now i wonder with these long 131 gr. bullets maybe these bullets won`t read on a Labradar either ? again thanks for the new details on a Labradar Chrono ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

370 members (160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 34 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.