Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I ran across a Blackhawk convertible with the 38 Spl/357 mag cylinder and a 9mm cylinder which is typical. What drew my interest is it had a third cylinder chambered for 38 Super. I really don't need this gun but the chamberings are interesting as was the reasonable price. I was unable to look closer at it as the shop was about to close and I had just enough time to grab what I was after without keeping them open.

My question is, does anyone know if the 38 Super cylinder was an option by the factory? My meager Ruger references does not list such but there have been special runs for places such as Lipsey's that do not make the general listings and I am wondering if it may be one of these. I am sorely tempted to get it am am trying to go in with a little knowledge. Thanks for any help.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've never heard of Ruger chambering a blackhawk cylinder for the Super 38 cartridge, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it somewhere along the line. I assume that some previous owner picked up an extra 9mm cylinder and had it rechambered for the Super 38.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It the price is right, that would be a really neat single action to play with.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You might want to get a letter from RUGER. Sometimes they did special things for factory people. I’ve not heard of that combination, though. That’s a new one. I’m more inclined to believe what you think, but you never know. Good luck.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The 9mm cylinder takes advantage of cheap ammo all the time and perhaps the only available ammo in a shortage situation. Since you have a .357 Magnum cylinder, it is difficult to see what itch the .38 Super cylinder scratches. I suppose in an ammo shortage there might not be a lot of competition for whatever .38 Super was available, although there might not be much to begin with . . .

The above is probably why the revolver in question is such a rare bird or possibly one off. But it is an interesting piece, that's for sure.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ask RJM,

If anyone would know, he would, as he is our resident subject matter expert.

It would not surprise me at all if he has an extra cylinder already chambered for Super somewhere in his collection.

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It is unlikely Ruger even has a .38 Super reamer at their factory as they have never chambered even one model in Super....

As posted above it could have been a rechambered 9mm cylinder but it also could have been a .357 cylinder as the outside case diameter of the Super is just a hair more that most Super rounds will not go into a .38 Special or .357 Magnum chamber... Winchester Silvertip will but most others will not.

You may want to check to see how the chambers on the Super cylinder are cut. It may have been cut to headspace on the case mouth but could have been also cut for the case rim. If it is rim, there could be a problem with headspace as the Super rim is not as thick as the .357/.38. This could cause misfires and also pierced primers. Easy way to tell is pull the cylinder out, take a round and drop it into the chamber and see if the rim contacts the cylinder. If it stands up a little from the cylinder face then it probably is cut to chamber on the case mouth. Can also take a scribe or sharp pencil and slide it down the chamber wall. If the tip stops about where the cartridge case should end then the chambers are cut to headspace on the case mouth...

Personally I would worry if the rechamber was done with a 9mm cylinder and headspaced on the rim. The diameter of the 9mm is a little greater than the .38 Super so it will be a sloppy fit. With the extra headspace included it may not shoot very well....

Is it blue or stainless...4 5/8" or 6.5" barrel....

Sounds like an interesting gun.... I have one factory .38 Super revolver (686-7) and three more rechambers but all are DAs...have been thinking about having a Ruger Single-Six .32 H&R Magnum converted but have not pulled the trigger yet...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I ran across a Blackhawk convertible with the 38 Spl/357 mag cylinder and a 9mm cylinder which is typical. What drew my interest is it had a third cylinder chambered for 38 Super. I really don't need this gun but the chamberings are interesting as was the reasonable price. I was unable to look closer at it as the shop was about to close and I had just enough time to grab what I was after without keeping them open.

My question is, does anyone know if the 38 Super cylinder was an option by the factory? My meager Ruger references does not list such but there have been special runs for places such as Lipsey's that do not make the general listings and I am wondering if it may be one of these. I am sorely tempted to get it am am trying to go in with a little knowledge. Thanks for any help.
I couldn't find a list of all the Buckeye Special's made over the years, but there is a chance this was one of them. I don't remember any 3 cylinder guns though.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

I couldn't find a list of all the Buckeye Special's made over the years, but there is a chance this was one of them. I don't remember any 3 cylinder guns though.

Nope. No question, as a Ruger collector, that the Super cylinder is custom.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Is it a factory cylinder? I don't recall who made them, but I recall seeing aftermarket cylinders that were maybe bored for initial alignment but not chambered for a specific cartridge yet.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 16 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.