Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The government owns them all now.

BOOM!!

And there it is............

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Or has your family ever owned any?

My Dad's side of the family has been in South Carolina since before the Revolution and pretty extensive research has been done into the branches of it by family members. Some of them owned slaves bigly based on census info. One back in the 1700's signed some kind of document/petition requesting a raise in pay for people catching runaways. We don't know if he was doing it or just benefiting from their services.

Mom's side I don't know as much about. It has a Kentucky/Ohio branch and a Georgia branch. Lots of rebels in the Georgia branch so good chance they did. The Kentucky branch might have had some Injuns in it....so you know they owned some slaves.

I feel so horrible about it.........NOT!

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My mother went to high school in 1940 in Bristol VA.

They had a debate question, "Should they have freed the slaves?"

Many parents got involved.

The school made two public statements, "They should NOT have freed the slaves. We will never have another debate about anything."

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wish...if have so much more time to hunt

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yep. If I recall the tally book something like 33 men and women.
All treated well and like family

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no slaves is a modern western world idea, slaves have been since before recorded history in some areas still exists and the world still goes round and round.

Everyone on these boards ancestry has a good chance of being one or owning slaves in the past.

This modern slavery crap we have to live with is just more propaganda to keep racism alive and healthy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two sets of grandparents, four sets of great grandparents, eight sets of great-great grandparents, sixteen sets of great-great-great grandparents...see where this goes? If the fact that ANY of them may have committed some heinous act makes me liable for whatever it was, then the same applies to everyone. We are all screwed.

As an aside, I do remember my mother's mother's mother's mother, IOW my great-great grandmother. She had been born in 1878 and died in 1959.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you go back far enough there isn't anyone on this planet that doesn't have ancestors who owned slaves. Likewise there isn't anyone who doesn't have ancestors that were slaves. It's a statistical impossibility for it to be any other way.

How far back do we go before we're not on the hook for the sins of our fathers?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, at least one human farm implement that I know of. He lived in the same cabin as his owners, due to his high cost at purchase. It'll be a shock to some folks, but he wasn't whipped 24/7/365.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
If you go back far enough there isn't anyone on this planet that doesn't have ancestors who owned slaves. Likewise there isn't anyone who doesn't have ancestors that were slaves. It's a statistical impossibility for it to be any other way.

How far back do we go before we're not on the hook for the sins of our fathers?

I find it hard to believe that in the bible when it says they slayed everyone in the cities they conquered. I think they would keep some girls for questioning.

In equatorial stone age people in remote areas, anthropologists have found that half the males were killed by spearing raids, or killed in spearing raids, trying to capture girls from the next village.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This thread is fugking hilarious.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In many recorded interviews with old former slaves, before they all passed away, it was not in the least uncommon for them to be nostalgic for slave days, when all their needs were taken care of. They'd sometimes get teary eyed about old massa, who loved them so. One of them said he hoped he meets his massa again in heaven, so he can be his slave again.

[Linked Image]

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My ancestors owned slaves, and my wife's ancestors were in the business of selling them. Here's how I view that.......it was over a 150 years ago, and slavery was legal in this part the country, so I certainly am not going to pass judgment on something that was an accepted practice. It was their business, and they and they alone had to answer as to whether it was right or wrong.

By the way, slavery was prevalent during Biblical times, and God himself issued laws as to how slaves were to be treated, so it's hard to say God was wrong. I, today, have no desire to own another human being. The only exception would be if I could buy a 20 year old Swedish blonde, then I might feel different.

Are you saying that the land your parents gave you was worked by slaves that your family owned?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes. My family did. My family never split families, they educated them to the best of their abilities and after the war, most stayed on the farm and worked. They are all buried in the family’s cemetery.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
My ancestors owned slaves, and my wife's ancestors were in the business of selling them. Here's how I view that.......it was over a 150 years ago, and slavery was legal in this part the country, so I certainly am not going to pass judgment on something that was an accepted practice. It was their business, and they and they alone had to answer as to whether it was right or wrong.

By the way, slavery was prevalent during Biblical times, and God himself issued laws as to how slaves were to be treated, so it's hard to say God was wrong. I, today, have no desire to own another human being. The only exception would be if I could buy a 20 year old Swedish blonde, then I might feel different.

Are you saying that the land your parents gave you was worked by slaves that your family owned?

It must bother you that my family owned something to pass on, or maybe it bothers you that I had a family, such as in I knew my daddy? Evidently, you didn't.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I was going to get some until they got to lazy to work

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

It must bother you that my family owned something to pass on, or maybe it bothers you that I had a family, such as in I knew my daddy? Evidently, you didn't.

It doesn't bother me.

I just think it's funny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
None of my ancestors owned any slaves. I had no ancestors at all in this country until 1881 when the first ones, my maternal grandmother's parents, arrived from Bavaria. My maternal grandfather's parents got here circa 1883 from the Alsace-Lorraine region of Germany. My dad's parents both came straight from Scotland, his dad 1914, his mom 1919. So by the time any of my ancestors got here slavery had been abolished. Does that give me a waiver to get out of reparations ?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.