Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thanks all for the sight hood info, didn't mean to hijack the thread. The one on the. 270 seems pretty tight but I think I'll take it off before hunting with it.

Last edited by AlleghenyMountain; 07/15/19. Reason: Misspelled word
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

A M70 just does not look right without a sight hood.

There are repro sight hoods currently being marketed that are very difficult to distinguish from originals. The bluing seems a little off.

I absolutely agree. There are also the ones that are squared off on the back, not angled on both ends. Trust me, I'll pay $40.00 for an original in good condition, when I need to. I won't use a knockoff...

No, these repros are angled on both ends and very difficult to distinguish from the originals. I’d be very suspect of any sight hood that has no wear.

I have seen some like you mention, but 9 times out of 10, the repros are only angled on one side. They have to do that so they are not infringing on the original patent. I'll post a link from ebay, so you can see what I'm talking about. Those are the ones you need to be aware of and stay away from, IF you are a collector and like keeping things all original. Now, I wouldn't put it past someone that knows how to grind that angle on the other side to try and pass it off as an "original". Like you said, pay close attention to the finish. It is more of a matte finish and not exactly like the originals.

"NEW" PRE 64 MODEL 70 FRONT SIGHT HOOD (UNORIGINAL)

Now, to some of the other guys that aren't into keeping things 100% original these front sight hoods are pretty good. They work and they are half the price of an original.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're going to need a bigger safe Buddy! grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
Thanks all for the sight hood info, didn't mean to hijack the thread. The one on the. 270 seems pretty tight but I think I'll take it off before hunting with it.

I take mine off when I elk hunt. Especially when I know I'm going to be busting through a lot of manzanita that day..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
You're going to need a bigger safe Buddy! grin

I would have, if you hadn't have bought some of my collection... grin

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Glad to help buddy..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damnit! no wonder I had to buy another damn safe! cry laugh

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yeah, me too. Come to think of it... sick

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That's okay, it'll give our survivors plenty to remember us by after sifting through tons of steel and walnut when we punch that last hunting tag. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's okay, it'll give our survivors plenty to remember us by after sifting through tons of steel and walnut when we punch that last hunting tag. cool

Yep, that's how I see it too!!! I just hope they know how much my NF scopes are worth!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We may need to leave a note with a list of destructions. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We may need to leave a note with a list of destructions. grin

Amen brother...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I wouldn’t take it off.

Shared this thread with a good friend who indicated that it just may be possible to lose a sight hood while hunting in the thick stuff if one is using the gun as a trekking pole.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dang, BSA, I kinda liked that schnabel tip. There was an article in Rifle or Handloader a few years ago explaining its purpose. But of course it is your rifle, not mine.

If Poconojack says there are sight hoods out there that almost fool even him, I'd believe him.

I agree a Model 70 with sights looks "wrong" without a hood. That said, I've considered removing both the hood and front sight and replacing with a proper width filler blank. Blasphemous, I know, but as snagless as possible while still being reversible, and makes good sense if you cannot use irons worth a hoot and want to hunt a Pre '64 hard.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Dang, BSA, I kinda liked that schnabel tip. There was an article in Rifle or Handloader a few years ago explaining its purpose. But of course it is your rifle, not mine.

If Poconojack says there are sight hoods out there that almost fool even him, I'd believe him.

I agree a Model 70 with sights looks "wrong" without a hood. That said, I've considered removing both the hood and front sight and replacing with a proper width filler blank. Blasphemous, I know, but as snagless as possible while still being reversible, and makes good sense if you cannot use irons worth a hoot and want to hunt a Pre '64 hard.

Back in the day, many guys sweated the front sights off of their fwt rifles... Now that is what is "blasphemous"..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Back in the day, many guys sweated the front sights off of their fwt rifles... Now that is what is "blasphemous"..

Yep, lots of stuff happened when they were great rifles, but not collector's items.
Removing that sight ramp is reversible, but it takes a skilled hand.

I'm still a bit envious of you for finding that rifle at such a great deal.
You never did answer my question about when it was made.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Yep, lots of stuff happened when they were great rifles, but not collector's items.
Removing that sight ramp is reversible, but it takes a skilled hand.

I'm still a bit envious of you for finding that rifle at such a great deal.
You never did answer my question about when it was made.

Oh sorry buddy. It was made in '58. I thought that was in the description. It may not have been though. Serial #440xxx . I believe it's a really late '58 model. November or something..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Can't wait to hear how well it shoots. On the lookout for a similar rifle myself!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A 30-06 Featherweight serial number 440xxx just went unbid on on Gunbroker starting at 875. I've been thinking I'd like to try a Featherweight but I've already bought two Model 70s in the past year, and I would need a bigger safe!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A 30-06 Featherweight serial number 440xxx just went unbid on on Gunbroker starting at 875. I've been thinking I'd like to try a Featherweight but I've already bought two Model 70s in the past year, and I would need a bigger safe!

In my opinion, the featherweights are the ones to get. You get the best of both worlds. Lightweight and still very accurate. They are a little more nimble with their 22" tubes as well. This one weighs 6.5 pounds and feels great in the hands.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.