Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't forget the packer packed in all the silly crap you didnt need or use plus the 6 cases of beer that kept you from killing an elk. Tip him whether you killed an elk or not cause he already did more than he should have.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you come to Australia do not tip as it is considered crass.

And if you insist on tipping then put it in one of the charity jars that are ever present on the counters, these are generally for the children's hospital or one of the cancer mobs.

I really cannot describe how disdainfully it is looked upon.

Last edited by JSTUART; 07/18/19.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Packing my own crap , and don’t drink beer so not worrying about him .

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
10% is a general starting point then we go up or down from there. If my guide worked his tail off and gave me a fantastic hunt to think about for years to come I have no problem tipping. I've also found that some guides, especially some of the younger ones really appreciate gifts. My buddy and I had a guide that was awesome. During the hunt we got to know a bit about him, just married and starting a family and so on. He really wanted better equipment but said tips usually went to the household needs. He got us on some really nice 6x6's so my buddy gave him a nice tip in cash and I made a trip to the store and picked up a nice Vortex spotting scope and window mount he had mentioned a couple of times. Thought he was going to hug me.

On last years trip I had another younger guide. Tough hunt, animals weren't moving and so on. Again, he worked his rear end off for 5 days to get me on a shooter. I noticed he had really admired my new Leica range finder so I gave him a choice of cash for a tip or the range finder. He gladly accepted the range finder.

Whether I tip with cash or a gift, for the last couple of years I've given my guide one of the Outdoor Edge or Havalon knifes with an extra pack of replacement blades. They're inexpensive and have been really appreciated. The orange ones so they can find them where they set them down in the grass easier. I'd be curious to know just how many skinning knifes have been left or lost in the field after dressing animals.

And ALWAYS tip the cook. Like others have mentioned, they work too and it's cheap insurance. You might end up coming back some day and cooks have memory's.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Does it make any difference if it’s a 1x1 or 2x1 hunt ?

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had this discussion with a few outfitters. Here is what I have come up with.

I tip the outfitter 10%. He can distribute it as he sees fit among his staff. I then tip any particular individuals that I feel went above and beyond my expectations, whether it be the guide, the cook, the wrangler or whatever. I have given away a few knives, but it has always been as an additional gift, not in lieu of cash. Knives are great gifts, but they the don't pay the bills.

Likewise, in some foreign countries, in addition to cash, I have left behind clothes and boots which always seem to be appreciated.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T_Inman
... One thing I have noticed, is that while everyone loves $, the guides would rather have a mediocre tip and a hunter that is easy to work with, hunts hard and doesn't complain about everything, than deal with a $hitty hunter and get a big tip at the end. I think they appreciate everyday hunters who save for years for a hunt, and give a mediocre tip than ultra rich guys who are a pain in the ass to deal with. At least I did back in my guiding days.

A lot of wisdom right here... And not just for guided hunts...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I felt sorry for the last guide I had. My now X partner treated him like a low class person. This nice young 25 year old tried his hardest to get us on elk and my partner screamed at him a couple times. Guide also put his onto a 370 class bull but he failed to get it done. Then partner got pissed when I shot a cow. That guide got a nice tip from me but nothing from my x partner. Thats why he's my x partner, what an a hole. Treat your guides nice!!! However the owner of the outfitting business was an a hole himself and a liar. Guide moved on also because of it. Hunting is just that---hunting---not killing. Go in with a good attitude and be in the BEST SHAPE you can be AND THEN DO BETTER. Help your guide as much as you can, he will return the favor. My then guide told me his best most favorite clients were guys who helped with the small stuff and were in shape, didn't bitch and were just happy to be there. He said he felt bad when someone gave him 250 dollars and he knew the guy couldn't really afford it and didn't even get a chance at an elk and then some rich out of shape blowhard showed up in camp got lucky killed a nice bull and left 50 bucks. I always try to put my self in their shoes and tip accordingly. But right now I do the DIY hunts, as I get to old to do it myself and need to do the guided route I hope to remember my words and treat my guides accordingly. If I don't I hope I get tag soup

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tom338
I felt sorry for the last guide I had. My now X partner treated him like a low class person. This nice young 25 year old tried his hardest to get us on elk and my partner screamed at him a couple times. Guide also put his onto a 370 class bull but he failed to get it done. Then partner got pissed when I shot a cow. That guide got a nice tip from me but nothing from my x partner. Thats why he's my x partner, what an a hole. Treat your guides nice!!! However the owner of the outfitting business was an a hole himself and a liar. Guide moved on also because of it. Hunting is just that---hunting---not killing. Go in with a good attitude and be in the BEST SHAPE you can be AND THEN DO BETTER. Help your guide as much as you can, he will return the favor. My then guide told me his best most favorite clients were guys who helped with the small stuff and were in shape, didn't bitch and were just happy to be there. He said he felt bad when someone gave him 250 dollars and he knew the guy couldn't really afford it and didn't even get a chance at an elk and then some rich out of shape blowhard showed up in camp got lucky killed a nice bull and left 50 bucks. I always try to put my self in their shoes and tip accordingly. But right now I do the DIY hunts, as I get to old to do it myself and need to do the guided route I hope to remember my words and treat my guides accordingly. If I don't I hope I get tag soup

This is spot on....as a former guide, myself.
I never worked for the tip, just loved it. Clients ranged all over the map, if they were fit and a good companion both of us enjoyed it.
The guide is responsible for setting the tone in spike camp, letting the hunter make the decisions would never work. Tough some times

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm gonna bump this back up since the queastion has come up between me and a couple of friends going on a hunt this fall.

We are doing a drop camp hunt in Colorado and are being taken into one of, if not, the best drop camps they have. Since we have already paid in full for the hunt and are on our own, we were wondering if the owner of the operation is tipped or not.
I was thinking that since the packers are carrying us in and out, that they should be the recipients of a tip. That and the person/s who come to retrieve and pack out any animals that we may shoot.

What say you folks that have been in on a hunt like this?

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would NOT tip the owner. He makes the most $$. And who does all the work, your packers, guides and cooks

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gristle
I'm gonna bump this back up since the queastion has come up between me and a couple of friends going on a hunt this fall.

We are doing a drop camp hunt in Colorado and are being taken into one of, if not, the best drop camps they have. Since we have already paid in full for the hunt and are on our own, we were wondering if the owner of the operation is tipped or not.
I was thinking that since the packers are carrying us in and out, that they should be the recipients of a tip. That and the person/s who come to retrieve and pack out any animals that we may shoot.

What say you folks that have been in on a hunt like this?

She will not accept a tip, but the packers should be tipped after the hunt. We always give the tip money to her and then she gives it to the packers and divides it among those that helped. Have a great hunt.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do a cull elk hunt on a ranch in New Mexico and usually take the shot off the hood of the truck. I can legally shoot from the truck if I wish as I am legally handicapped and have the proper paperwork that allows it. Not my favorite way to hunt but when it's tough to walk more than 100 yard in only slightly rough terrain one does what one has to do if he wants to hunt. I've done 6 hunts on this ranch and the average tip has been 10 percent of the cost of the hunt. No cooks or wranglers involved. I say average because one guide has received 15 percent tips twice now as the guide only last hunt. One guide, while he got us elk was so unethical that my partner and I decided to give him nothing and let the outfitter know why. He like to drive right into the middle of a herd and expected us to shoot one. My partner got one that was in the clear but if I'd shot mine I'd have killed more than one elk. it was o close I could have just jammed the muzzle into its side and pulled the trigger. The guide chewed me out for not shooting and I told him I was shooting a .35 Whelen with 225 gr. TSX bullets. If I'd shot that elk I'd probably have killed or wounded more than one animal. From what I understand that particular guide got fired after getting a few more complaints about his ethics.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
10% of outfitters hunt fee for the guide as a minimum. Maybe a couple hundred more if I get an animal. 100 for cook and 100 for wrangler. I've done a guided elk hunt for 10 of the last 12 years.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have only been on one big game guided hunt. My guide was ok so I tipped him 10%. The cook was outstanding and I tipped her 15%.

I have been on a few guided duck hunts and the guides I have had were absolute top notch. I tipped 25% but also the cost of the hunts were less.

I was on a guided fishing/Chukar hunt on the Middle Fork of the Salmon tipped the guide my fly rod Orvis (Model before the Helios) I can't remember the name.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I plan on $100/day for the guide, plus $100/week for the cook, and some more for the camp staff if there is any.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
All tipping is BS - the guide/cook/etc. are not my employees .
Pay the outfitter and he pays his people and expects them to do a good job .

When I built or remodeled a house for someone - why didn't the owners or owners to be tip every trade who participated - I wish they'd start then I could pocket more money for myself .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike
All tipping is BS - the guide/cook/etc. are not my employees .
Pay the outfitter and he pays his people and expects them to do a good job .

When I built or remodeled a house for someone - why didn't the owners or owners to be tip every trade who participated - I wish they'd start then I could pocket more money for myself .

I would say to you the average guide isn't making a killing in wages. Add the fact that it is seasonal work for the most part. It is a personal choice to tip or not to tip. For me it is an easy choice specially when the guide has worked hard for me, Kill or no Kill.

I have tipped tradesmen too because they have done a great job for me.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If the guide is skilled and works hard I Iike to show my appreciation in $. You can learn a ton from a good guide and knowledge has value.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I tip on hunts because it has become part of the expectations.

Tipping in general has gotten out of control. Servers in restaraunts is different, they essentially don't get paid, they make about $3/hour, well below minimum wage and close to 100% of take home is tips. Essentially they make enough on "hourly" to cover taxes on the tips.

On a hunt you are paying somewhere in the area of $1000/day or more and that SHOULD be enough to fund everything. But tipping is part of the expense you should plan on as it's part of the expectations now. Guides do not make much money.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.