Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Could someone please explain this to me as it relates to point of aim through a scope?

I realize what the definition of parallax is, but how does an adjustable parallax work and how is the best way to minimize parallax when shooting (besides the obvious-consistent noggin placement on the stock)?

Please keep this on topic. Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. I saw some of those threads via my google fu, and it is great info but doesn't answer my question, though I haven't read them all in depth.
Maybe I haven't explained my question good enough though.

I am wondering how parallax adjustments in a scope work, not necessarily how to adjust for it. I can read how to do that in the first thread in your link. It seems to me keeping your head aligned as precisely as possible through the scope would minimize parallax, so I am unsure why any kind of setting or adjustment to the scope is necessary.

I also see a lot of parallax adjustment discussions pertaining to rimfires at 50 or 100 yards....at that distance what does it really matter?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
As eyes turn to a sleepy little burg in western Montana, anticipating the explaining by the knowledgeable explainer of things.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If on a bench, trying to shoot groups when parallax isn't perfect, one trick is to move your head back until all you can see is the target with minimal reticle showing.

That forces your head to be in the right place for the shot. Not for a big boomer or heavy kicking rifle.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JDinCO
As eyes turn to a sleepy little burg in western Montana, anticipating the explaining by the knowledgeable explainer of things.

laugh

Methinks the dial thingy moves the lens thingy.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
smile

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Thanks. I saw some of those threads via my google fu, and it is great info but doesn't answer my question, though I haven't read them all in depth.

I am wondering how parallax adjustments in a scope work, not necessarily how to adjust for it. I can read how to do that in the first thread in your link. It seems to me keeping your head aligned as precisely as possible through the scope would minimize parallax, so I am unsure why any kind of setting or adjustment to the scope is necessary.

I also see a lot of parallax adjustment discussions pertaining to rimfires at 50 or 100 yards....at that distance what does it really matter?

The adjustment moves a lens or lenses so the target image and reticle come into focus at the same place. That way you can't "look around the reticle" and see movement of the target.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fine, get all technical. whistle

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I knew that "look around the reticle" would be too deep for some. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mathman

The adjustment moves a lens or lenses so the target image and reticle come into focus at the same place. That way you can't "look around the reticle" and see movement of the target.

Focus may not be the correct term for it. You can have a clear image (ie focused) but still have parallax, and adjusting the focus affects the parallax to some extent. The Bushnell on my 22 has parallax adjustment and was the only scope I had where the range settings on the parallax adjustment actually matched the range. My eyes have gotten worse with age and I've had to adjust the focus, and now the parallax range setting doesn't correspond with the range. With most of my scopes I have to go for a parallax range setting greater than the actual range - I've got it noted somewhere what settings I have to use (I should mark it on the scopes.)

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Focus may not be the correct term for it. You can have a clear image (ie focused) but still have parallax, and adjusting the focus affects the parallax to some extent. The Bushnell on my 22 has parallax adjustment and was the only scope I had where the range settings on the parallax adjustment actually matched the range. My eyes have gotten worse with age and I've had to adjust the focus, and now the parallax range setting doesn't correspond with the range. With most of my scopes I have to go for a parallax range setting greater than the actual range - I've got it noted somewhere what settings I have to use (I should mark it on the scopes.)

The image from the objective falls on the focal plane of the reticle. "Focus" is used in terms of optical systems as well as your eyes. What you're calling "focused" to your eyes doesn't necessarily mean that the objective and reticle lens are focused on the same plane.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah but the confusion arises when the scopes have both a focus adjustment and a separate parallax adjustment.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ocular focus

And

Parallax focus

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ocular is properly focused when the reticle is sharp and clear. Adjusting parallax moves the entire image of everything in view to and fro. When the target of interest is in the same focal plane as the reticle, then the target and the reticle will be in the same plane, all in focus and without apparent parallax.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

If you want to play around with some numbers, or set up your own spreadsheet to play around, there is a good technical article here:
http://www.rimfirebenchrest.com/articles/parallax.html

In general, the higher the magnification, the greater the parallax for a given deviation of your eye from the optical centerline. In other words, if your eye is 2 mm off the optical centerline, you will get more parallax at 9x than at 3x.
If a scope is set up to be parallax free at a "far" distance, usually 150 yards for a big game scope, this minimizes parallax at "really far" distances, say 400 yards. But it makes parallax worse "really close", such as 25 yards.

Now, this is relative. It is not difficult to get parallax errors of 1/2" at 25 yards with a typical big game scope at high power. 1/2" is nothing if you are shooting at most critters, even small ones. But if you have a $10 bet with your buddy that you can hit a penny at 25 yards with your .22 rimfire, that 1/2" can cost you some money!
Another way to look at it is that the parallax error is likely greater than the group size of a good .22 at 25 yards.

Yet another way to look at it is with .22's we often shoot at really small stuff pretty close. Even that close, we need some magnification. Now we have a good chance for parallax to give us trouble. So serious rimfire shooters tend to want parallax adjustment on their higher power scopes.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have accepted that I will go to my grave with much of parallax remaining a mystery to me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have accepted that I will go to my grave with much of parallax remaining a mystery to me.

Are you saying you don't understand it from the point of view of experiencing it, or the more technical aspects of what causes it and how to get rid of it or mitigate its effects?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.