Print Thread
Hop To
#13977908 - 07/15/19 Panfish thread  
LJBass Offline
Campfire Regular
LJBass  Offline
Campfire Regular

Missouri
I've borrowed my brothers fly rod to learn on while I'm looking for the right set-up to pounce on. Been hitting the local creek to practice casting in a place that isn't crowded. Been pulling in a lot of small bluegill, not eating size. In my reading old threads here, there was a bluegill thread pretty regular.

So how bout it? Are you guys still fishing for them, or just to busy talking politics in the hunters campfire?

Let's see some pics from this summer, Bluegill, Perch, Crappie, Bass, Trout.....

[Linked Image]

300 BP

#13978006 - 07/15/19 Re: Panfish thread [Re: LJBass]  
Sasha_and_Abby Offline
Campfire Regular
Sasha_and_Abby  Offline
Campfire Regular

Columbia, South Carolina
a five wt and a small popping bug with rubber "legs" on a lake or pond is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
#13979273 - 07/16/19 Re: Panfish thread [Re: LJBass]  
erich Offline
Campfire Guide
erich  Offline
Campfire Guide

wash. state
My dad live on a lake with a lot of grass that came up high enough to lay on the surface. Every so often there were opennings in the grass about the size of a hula hoop or larger. we would drop a popping bug in the and just work it across the opening. Plenty of nice sized crappies and bluegills with an occasional bass and northern. Fun evenings with my dad.

Long time ago we lived on the Milwaukee River and would float the river working the deeper holes below riffles and where the river was deeper under the over hanging willows, plenty of smallmouth bass and an occasional northern. Some of the most fun was hitting some of the faster waters catching large shiners for bait, we'd stock up our bait tank for northern pike trips. Drifting dough balls on a flyrod through the deeper holes in the river would put some big carp on the line, boy do they fight in the current, some could make a big steelhead look like a slug.

When I moved to northern MN, in the fall we'd hit the drainage ditches with rubber ants and stock up on chubs for trapline bait.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
#13980655 - 07/16/19 Re: Panfish thread [Re: LJBass]  
Prwlr Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Prwlr  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Colorado Springs, CO
Yep fishing with small poppers is the ultimate fun but seem to catch more with bright colored soft hackles.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.
#14009263 - 07/28/19 Re: Panfish thread [Re: LJBass]  
stantdm Offline
Campfire Ranger
stantdm  Offline
Campfire Ranger

South Dakota
My farm pond had a lot of panfish in it. Bluegills, Perch, Crappie, and Bass. Fly fishing for larger than average bluegills with a fly rod and small poppers or wet flies is a lot of fun.

Alpha

#14009265 - 07/28/19 Re: Panfish thread [Re: LJBass]  
stantdm Offline
Campfire Ranger
stantdm  Offline
Campfire Ranger

South Dakota
My farm pond had a lot of panfish in it. Bluegills, Perch, Crappie, and Bass. Fly fishing for larger than average bluegills with a fly rod and small poppers or wet flies is a lot of fun.

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (907brass, 79S, 30Gibbs, AB2506, 6MMWASP, 805, 14 invisible), 633 guests, and 565 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.