24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who makes the best one ?? Easiest one to use ??

Thanks in advance !! 👍

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I only have a TC silent ball discharger and it's been great. They're getting harder to find though.
When I shot the local muzzle loader matches it was handy to have around.
It's seemed nobody was immune to getting distracted chatting with a buddy and forget to load your powder...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have one sitting on the kitchen counter if you want it . Free just send me postage money. Its made for a #11 nipple

PM if interested, getting tired of looking at it

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
At the ML target shoots I participate in, the range officers carry a paintball gun recharging cylinder with a high pressure hose and a push button valve- - - - -one for percussion caps and a needle adapter for the flash hole on a flinter. those things launch a dry ball WAY downrange.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The adapter for the flinters doesn't screw into the flash hole threads ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

A
A
While not the only way to unload a ML, CO2 dischargers are very convenient to use. They are usually quicker than other methods and eliminate having to work at the muzzle of a loaded rifle. The most available ones are based on bicycle tire inflators, They work well enough if it interfaces with the rifle properly. However the plastic fitting that comes with them now does not work well, for me anyway. Various fittings to adapt the discharger to side-hammer percussion, flint, or inline rifle don't seem to be readily available, but can be found used or in old stock in stores. Make sure that the discharger can be used with your rifle before depending on it. A special fitting may be needed depending on your rifle. It is surprising that no one makes these fittings anymore since they are important.

The old Thompson/Center discharger can work well for side-hammer percussion guns. Early ones took a small CO2 cartridge that can be hard to find now. I have a problem with leaking CO2 in mine, have tried various gasket materials to no avail. I'm still trying to figure out why T/C used left a handed thread on it.

RMC Oxyoke made a nice brass ML specific discharger a few years ago. Eventually mine started leaking, but truing up the sealing surfaces and lubing the o-rings with grease has fixed that. Fittings are a problem with it as well.

Fittings are not hard to make with a small metal lathe, which is what I have done. The ones made for bicycle inflators usually have a special thread for the Schrader valve: .305-32. Dies are expensive, so single pointing the thread is called for.

If the ball is not seated, say stuck mid-bore, there is a much bigger volume to pressurize. If the ball is really stuck the discharger may not work. Best to seat it down all the way, then blow it out.

They will send a ball down range with authority, so keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

The discharger will also decant the cranberry jelly from the can nicely. Just punch a small hole in the back of the open can and press the tip to the hole. Use food grade CO2 of course!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.