Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Back story: Rifles below were removed from the attic of a 90 year old relative approx 50 years ago and given to my dad for some work he did. They have been bouncing from attic to attic for the last 50 years. They were wall hangers when they were originally received. They are still wall hangers. My expectation is that they will remain wall hangers. Having said that, I would like to identify them and understand easiest way to preserve them and prevent further deterioration.

Top rifle is a Steven Junior, I believe, with the butt stock installed upside down. Some amount of light rust in various places. Bore is toast. How much trouble to invert the butt stock?

Second rifle down is "I don't know"... Full octagon barrel. Bore is toast. Only markings that I can make out are a small "R" with a 5 point start over top if it. On both the trigger housing, and on the side of the barrel near the chamber. Also a numeric "8" just above the stock line just forward of the "R" and star. All markings on the left side. Maybe a Remington of some flavor?

For both, I am thinking some form of naval jelly (or ???) to remove the easily removed rust. And then some type of "easy and not pricey" coating to prevent further oxidation. I have seen examples of wrought iron that were dipped or coated with wax while hot that left a brownish finish. Possibly some form of "browning" instead of "blueing" ? For the rifle with the octagon barrel, would iron screws be more period correct or brass screws ?

Not looking to make money. Not looking to spend a lot of money. Just looking for a way to get these out of storage and make presentable wall hangers and conversation pieces out of them...

All constructive suggestions appreciated !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The little Stevens looks to be a candidate for relining the bore and having a shootable wall hanger. Post some more pictures of the Stevens. The older octagon gun looks European? Some type of Flobert or similar?

The lower gun actually looks a lot more like a Stevens Junior than the top one. The top one looks like a Stevens of some sort, i.e. Crackshot or similar.

Post more pics of both.

Last edited by sbrmike; 07/15/19.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
More pics will have to wait until weekend. Top of the receiver between breech and rear sight says "Stevens-Maynard Jr" over ".22 Long Rifle". In front of rear sight says" J. Stevens A&T CO" over "Chicopee Falls. Mass. U.S.A."

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Take 'em apart, soap and water scrub with a stiff bristle brush (or fine bronze) and maybe a little bit with synthetic steel wool. Clean the wood with Murphy's soap.

Dry everything well. Heat the metal parts with a hair dryer and squirt well with WD40 (or similar), wipe off excess. I'd use some type of furniture polish/wax on the wood.

Reassemble and hang back on the wall. You'll have two real neat conversation pieces.

And leave the Stevens stock upside down. Somebody turned it around for a reason, it will add more to the conversation (s).

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WD40 has no place on any firearm, ever. Even a wallhanger. Plain gun oil only.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

For the stock, all depends on what was done to the original inlet to put it on upside down.

For rusty metal such as gun parts (especially like the ones pictured) and tools have found that a mixture of equal parts Mobil1, ATF and mineral spirits liberally brushed on and allowed to sit and work for a couple days works wonders, especially on the overall appearance of the item. It certainly can do no harm. Ymmv.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
WD40 has no place on any firearm, ever. Even a wallhanger. Plain gun oil only.

You missed the (or similar).

BTW, how' s Splattermatic's stock coming along ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.