Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
4 weeks to sink the U.S.S. America, an old Kitty Hawk class carrier. That with no crew and no damage control team. I imagine she was set in material condition Zebra, which would be her combat condition.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/15/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad to see such a noble vessel meet such an end. I remember the America and JFK being stationed in Norfolk when I was stationed at Ft. Monroe. I got to congratulate some of the sailors coming through the gate that had come over for a big beach party after their operations against Libya.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Sad to see such a noble vessel meet such an end. I remember the America and JFK being stationed in Norfolk when I was stationed at Ft. Monroe. I got to congratulate some of the sailors coming through the gate that had come over for a big beach party after their operations against Libya.

Sad, yes, but if doing this gives them data to make following carriers more effective and safer for the sailors it is worth the sacrifice.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My old ship. I thought it was wrong to sink her. She had a good history and should have been a museum somewhere.

CV 66. USS America

There were better lesser named ships that could have become a reef. CVN 65 and 67 were nukes to give you an idea of how new it was compared to others that became museums.

VA-85
CVW 1
USS America

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 007FJ
My old ship. I thought it was wrong to sink her. She had a good history and should have been a museum somewhere.

Many ships that are currently museums will probably end up scrapped due to the immense cost of upkeep. Many groups find that they can't afford it as the ship ages.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's typical government reasoning. Stupid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother in law did a Viet Nam tour on the 66. He served in the one Marine squadron on the ship. He loaded ordnance on F-4's. Their planes had shamrocks painted across the top of the tail. I believe they called them the Tres Shams. I hate to see a grand old ship like this sunk, but it sounds like they made the most of this exercise to make future carriers safer and tougher.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hammered that ship for 4 weeks and it still wouldn't go down?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really interesting. I knew of the SINK-EX of course but had never seen the pictures. Hopefully in the years to come there will be some more released. She really was at the end of her life. I had several friends who deployed on her with VAQ-137 on her last deployments and deferred maintenance and the optempo really took it's toll. The data they gathered will be well used in every ship design for generations.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Chinas wet dream about sinking US carriers might be just that.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
She was un usable and this was a great idea. I too cruised on her and had over 150 traps on her. This was indeed proof positive on just how survivable our carriers are..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I cruised on America ‘85-‘86 flying F-14’s in VF 33 as part of Carrier Air Wing 1. I’ve got almost 300 traps on her, over 100 at night and got to take part in “El Dorado Canyon” in spring of ‘86. The Saratoga and the Coral Sea were the other two ships involved and between them and America we were flying our butts off for a couple of weeks before and after the strike. Our fly day started at noon and went to 0400 the following morning and we were flying three sorties a day, with two at night.

I knew it had been sunk but hadn’t seen any pictures or video of it.

I have three Marine buds that cruised on her in “Trip Trey” flying F 4’s (VMF 333, Shamrocks) during Vietnam.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why don't the scrap and recycle the steel?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot

There is no place in America to do that anymore. Ships of this size are sold to foreign scrappers and it is literally pennies that are gained. Also not like you want to give the Chinese or someone else a good chance to examine our ships for vulnerabilities and any of the countries that do scrapping will be happy to sell that privilege to anyone.

Smaller image control tests of these sorts to evaluate future designs would have had to have been done anyway. There was far more useful information gathered by doing the sink-ex in a very controlled and studied fashion that any benefit of the relatively small amount of money gained in selling her.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I cruised on America ‘85-‘86 flying F-14’s in VF 33 as part of Carrier Air Wing 1. I’ve got almost 300 traps on her, over 100 at night and got to take part in “El Dorado Canyon” in spring of ‘86. The Saratoga and the Coral Sea were the other two ships involved and between them and America we were flying our butts off for a couple of weeks before and after the strike. Our fly day started at noon and went to 0400 the following morning and we were flying three sorties a day, with two at night.

I knew it had been sunk but hadn’t seen any pictures or video of it.

I have three Marine buds that cruised on her in “Trip Trey” flying F 4’s (VMF 333, Shamrocks) during Vietnam.

That’s a serious resume right there. There was some bad ass times, I tip my hat to you, That was an absolute morale booster for America.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs

There is no place in America to do that anymore. Ships of this size are sold to foreign scrappers and it is literally pennies that are gained. Also not like you want to give the Chinese or someone else a good chance to examine our ships for vulnerabilities and any of the countries that do scrapping will be happy to sell that privilege to anyone.

Smaller image control tests of these sorts to evaluate future designs would have had to have been done anyway. There was far more useful information gathered by doing the sink-ex in a very controlled and studied fashion that any benefit of the relatively small amount of money gained in selling her.

JFK (CV 67) is going to Corpus for break up..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Heck, I woulda taken it if I knew they didn't want it!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Pugs

JFK (CV 67) is going to Corpus for break up..

Interesting. I can't find any news of who got the bid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Sad, yes, but if doing this gives them data to make following carriers more effective and safer for the sailors it is worth the sacrifice.

You're right, destructive testing is the only way to know for sure what they are capable of handling and indeed a valuable last mission for the ship. I'm sure that the results of what it took to sink her has now raised some Chinese eyebrows.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Pat85
Chinas wet dream about sinking US carriers might be just that.

This quote brought to mind a story an ex-cop friend told about his patrol days. He and his partner were talking sex one night, when his partner said that he went for 3 one night, but "all that came the last time was a little colored water and tears to my eyes".

It's funnier in a southern drawl, trust me. I trust that if China tries it with conventionals, the result will be similar.

Bad karma to China......or anyone else, tho a nuke should do it.

If they can get one through.

Last edited by las; 07/16/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.