Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tpcollins
If we go back 200 years or so, I would think a big percentage of Americans today could trace their family history back to some relative that owned slaves.

That was then, this is now.

Not on the west coast.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No but my grandmother was indentured to a rich woman in Duluth circa 1900. Gramma was from the Mediterranean and swarthy in complexion. Does that count as "of color?" Where's my check!

This whole thing is beyond absurd. Thank God she got here else I might've been born a communist.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Both of my parents were just months away of being Italian immigrants. Conceived there and born here. So no slaves here... My maternal grandmother on the right lived to 102 working a cannery in Pittsburg California where I and my Father were born and raised. My dear Mother born and raised across the river in Collinsville. Noni is smiling on the right, maybe a slave...

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first known American ancestor got off a ship, swore allegiance to the King,
Then signed himself into indentured servitude to pay his passage.

My maternal grandfather was the son of Sweedish and English immigrant parents.
Born and raised in a coal mining company town, they were essentially slaves.

So, I am a descendant of slaves.

Honestly, I am a slave myself.
The government owns my home, I just paid for usage rights.
I still have to pay rent to the government annually.

I go to work, the government takes my pay, and allows me to keep a little of it.
They then give my money to the favored class (judged by skin color, or wealth, both rich and poor).

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/16/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got slave ancestors. The story goes that the two young brothers (around ages 10 and 12) were Shanghaied in Ireland in the middle 1700s and forced to labor aboard a ship. When the ship ported in the southeast of colonial America (can't remember where, exactly, likely somewhere from Georgia to Virginia), they jumped ship and hid under someone's porch till the ship set sail again. So, for the length of the journey, they were indeed slaves.

Grandma told us that story several times.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just Toby!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My father and his parents came from Italy when my father was 5years old in the early 1900's.They became slaves to the coal mine owners. Company housing, company store. My father started in the mines when he was 9 years old he mad 3 cents a day and my grand father made 9 cents a day

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My ancestors on my Father's side were slave owners.They arrived to this country around 1700 to the Virginia,North Carolina area,then moved to the Mississippi Territory around 1800,which later became Copiah County Mississippi to farm the new land.My Great Grandfather's side of the family did not own slaves,but my Great Great Grandfather on my Great Grandmother's side of my family were slave owner's.They were of the Smith family there and apparently that family were large landowners in the area with a large number of slaves on the census records.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes! He got his ass worked 120 hours per week’ fed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches sometimes on stale bread, did all the heavy maintenance, dealt with all the customers, and oft times only managed two hours sleep at night!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Never heard of any slave owners in my family line which is not surprising as most that I've heard of were mainly poor sharecroppers that barely got by at keeping themselves and family feed and a roof over their head.

My wife had a few ancestors that owned slaves according to old last wills and testaments her father found. As I recall none had more than five and the rest three or less. Based on the details in those few last wills it was expressly stated that the slave mother was NOT to be separated from her children -- wherever one went they all went together. And surprisingly, these few slave owner / ancestors of my wife lived and farmed north of the Ohio River, too, mainly in Indiana and Ohio.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My ancestors were also indentured servants. In a sense, I was enslaved by the government for a couple of years when I was drafted. I was paid (80 bucks a month to start) but it wasn't a request. There was an end in sight though so more of an indenture contract. Most of the men my age got to have the same experience. GD

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My Dad had 2 slaves

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
DemocRAT Presidential Candidate Beto and his wife just reported that both their families owned slaves, and that they want to pay reparations. Well, bust out the checkbook and have at it dummass.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nope. Mother's family didn't arrive from Europe until after the civil war. Father's family got here a bit earlier, in the late 1700's to early 1800's, where they settled in Pennsylvania.

Frankly, aside from the historical and educational aspects of it, it's a dead issue; has been for over 150 years. Safe to say, there are no living slaves or slave owners in this country. Yes, there was slavery here in the United States. At one time or another, slavery has taken place damn near everywhere. People sold people all over the world, and not just blacks. It was a different time, though strangely, it only seems to remain a current issue in this country.

The Democrats who keep bringing it up are just fishing for more votes.

Pathetic.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Personally, I think those who are so adamantly in favor of reparations for those who claim they have ancestors that were slaves should invite some to move in and live with them, all expenses paid, give them pocket money whenever they want it, and allow them to do and come and go as they please whenever they please.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.