Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
GW and Dog have a point with the 7 series chambering...7mag, 7/08, 7WSM and 28Nosler..Powder consumption is lower, maybe not so much lower in a 28N but still Lower than big 30’s.

Projectiles are in abundance with better BC that dump their payload into game like Thor’s Hammer...With the moderate recoil of a medium 7/08. This is just a fun rig to shoot that pays out with quick deaths and for me wouldn’t need a brake to enjoy it.

Someday I may switch over to running only 7 mediums and 7mags. All I’d need is the 7mag to accomplish the change over, and it will be a Tikka T3 or T3x Lite...😎

I knew you’d come around sooner or later..... grin

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just jumped back into the bigger 30’s with a 300 RUM. I’ve been shooting the 220 Scenars a bit over 3000 and with the brake it’s actually been a lot of fun. I’m a huge 7mm guy but being a junky of everything rifle I wanted to work with the RUM again.

I’m not sure it’s any better for how I hunt but it’s about the same weight as my Mashburn and the 220’s are pretty awesome in the wind. I’ve had and used the WSM, Win Mag, Wby in the past and they’ve all done pretty darned well.

It is fun to hand the gun over to a new shooter, have him dial the dial the dope and hear those big Scenars connect. They definitely move stuff around.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn

The idea that because a few companies bring out bullets with higher BCs that somehow the old tried and true "gold-standards" that worked so wall for 60-70 years or more, suddenly stop working is just idiotic.

But never fear, there are a LOT of idiots to carry that flag forward.

I find it pretty funny when guys get locked into one particular point in the technological progress continuum, and declare anything coming after as superfluous. Nobody said that your “gold standards stopped working." But there are options now that make killing at 750 yards easier than it is with the 200gr PT.

I’m sure there were guys 200 years ago saying the same thing, “companies bring out this smokeless powder and jacketed bullets, and tell us that the gold standard of black powder and roundballs that worked for hundreds of years suddenly stop working. It’s idiotic.”

Shooting technology moves forward one small increment at a time. That doesn’t mean that all increments that came before suddenly stop working, just that the more advanced options give advantages over previous alternatives.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by T_Inman
You all have fun with those fire breathing magnums. I've had magnumitus, and enjoyed it, but those days are over for me.

I'll continue killing elk with my 6.5X284, plus the occasional one with my .300 H&H.

Uh, last time I checked, the 300 H&H is a magnum smile

True (in name) but you know what I am getting at...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You all have fun with those fire breathing magnums. I've had magnumitus, and enjoyed it, but those days are over for me.

I'll continue killing elk with my 6.5X284, plus the occasional one with my .300 H&H.

I do indeed... just giving you a hard time smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Speaking about the big 30’s and the big bullets they heave, what’s everyone think of the Federal TLR 200? BC looks good with that one and I’m slowly looking for something to mess around with for next year. I converted my rifle over to the AICS mags and it allows me a decent way of getting closer to the lands and an OAL of 3.750”.

What are your favorite big 300 bullets for the 0-750 yard sorta shooting for elk mainly.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Magnum, but not a fire breathing one. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Speaking about the big 30’s and the big bullets they heave, what’s everyone think of the Federal TLR 200? BC looks good with that one and I’m slowly looking for something to mess around with for next year. I converted my rifle over to the AICS mags and it allows me a decent way of getting closer to the lands and an OAL of 3.750”.

What are your favorite big 300 bullets for the 0-750 yard sorta shooting for elk mainly.

I shoot that bullet out of my 300 wsm...It’s been a great sub moa round on paper for my Browning Mk3. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I shoot that bullet out of my 300 wsm...It’s been a great sub moa round on paper for my Browning Mk3. 😎

Shot any elk or deer with it Beav? Seems like a good mix of BC and killer integrity.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am glad I stopped at the Weatherby. "A man has got to know his limitations" to quote Clint Eastwood. Now my wonderfully accurate SAKO 300 WM mostly is a safe queen but I plan to fix that by using 130 & 150 grain bullets on deer. A bigger cartridge would not increase my range as it is the shooting that limits things. Like: no rest, winded, shaky, windy you name it.

Elk have been taken cleanly at close to 1000 yards with a 243. Marine snipers use the 300 WM to 1,800 yards. But neither gets me much past 400 or maybe 500 if conditions are perfect which they never are. Letting one walk will bug me for a while, wounding and loosing one would bug me for the rest of my life.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Shot any elk or deer with it Beav? Seems like a good mix of BC and killer integrity.

beretzs, I haven’t yet...I set this up late last year as a solution to me being all things that suck with a Lever gun in dense timber.
I am taking it to PA for a hunt in the hardwoods for deer and bear. I’m confident at timber ranges the 200g won’t under perform.
Plus the accuracy achieved out of my MK3 made me happy enough to want to see what will happen on fur 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love the 300 rum, 300 wsm, and 300 win mag. Cant like either weatherby, partly because I have always had poor luck getting them to shoot and partly because if I am going with a 30 cal magnum in the present it will be either a WSM or RUM.
I have also used the 7mm weatherby a fair amount along with the 7mm rum. I'd take a 30 caliber mag over either, but that's just me.
Guys get all caught up in regards to having a gun that will shoot over 400 yards, but the fact of the matter is most of the elk hunting I have done is well under that. Lasts years elk was at spit ball distance in the timber and so was my brothers. Even in open elk country you just dont often need to shoot one at long range.
I can say for certain the a 300 rum flinging a 180 over 3300 fps is absolutely devastating on elk both near and far.

Last edited by BWalker; 07/17/19.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.