Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Where is the best buy on a Nightforce SHV 3-10? Is it possible to get one with the 4a reticle in America?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be my pleasure to assist you with a scope. The 4a is not available in the USA.
I am back in the store 1st thing tomorrow, please give me a call at your convenience, 516-217-1000.
Have a great night
Doug

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Doug or Mule Deer or any one,

I am looking for a different scope for my .338 Winny. I want some thing in the 2-10x44 range that is not over 22 ounces. I prefer a reticle like the Nightforce 4a or Leupold Post-Duplex. I would like and exposed elevation turret with a zero stop and capped windage. Above all else, I want repeatable reliable adjustments. I am tired of not trusting scope adjustments.

Does such a scope exist?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With capped turrets is the Steiner GS3 4A 2-10x42. Great scope.

not sure of one with everything you're looking for.

Hunting scopes won't have Zero stop and exposed turrets and Tactical scopes won't have a basic Plex or 4a

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

I am looking for a different scope for my .338 Winny. I want some thing in the 2-10x44 range that is not over 22 ounces. I prefer a reticle like the Nightforce 4a or Leupold Post-Duplex. I would like and exposed elevation turret with a zero stop and capped windage. Above all else, I want repeatable reliable adjustments. I am tired of not trusting scope adjustments.

Does such a scope exist?

No, it does not exist. The closet you will get is the 3-10x SHV with ForcePlex reticle. Leave the elevation cap off.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Form, do the Steiner scopes track as well or close to Nightforce?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personal preference but I wish I would have found a SHV 3-12x42 with an illuminated reticle. The MOAR reticle on mine has been a little difficult to see on a black or dark targets. I like the small scope and known reliability.
Doug @ CL can hook you up.
šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just got an shv 3-10 with the illumintated force plex from Doug at camera land. He gave me a good price and it was at the post office waiting for me in 3-4 days with zero issues. I also got a Leica rangefinder from Doug which he also gave me a nice price on. In fact, I need to order another SHV within a few days.

As for the scope, itā€™s great, I love the forceplex and Iā€™ve been able to shoot it out to 500 with my kimber, I like the clean reticle with the ability to dial if I want. I like being able to turn on the illumination if I want, it really helps in low light and since we donā€™t have legal shooting light here in AK itā€™s a nice feature.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am getting sold on the SHV 3-10. Lets talk reticles. How bout the International Hunting Retical, the Force Plex and the MOAR. which one is best all around out to 500 yards? Why is the 4anot available in N. America?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am getting sold on the SHV 3-10. Lets talk reticles. How bout the International Hunting Retical, the Force Plex and the MOAR. which one is best all around out to 500 yards? Why is the 4anot available in N. America?

I had the moar reticle in an shv 3-10 for awhile but at the time I didnā€™t like it. It seemed hard for me to pick up the center crosshairs in low light and I find myself in low light a lot. When I get another shv, Iā€™d like to try the moar again but Iā€™ll go with the illumination.

I like the simplicity of the force plex personally but for a longer range build I see the value in having a more advanced reticle.

At first I was worried about the set parallax in the illuminated versions but honestly itā€™s a non factor, most 3-9 or 3-10 scopes donā€™t have parallax adjustment anyways.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

Does such a scope exist?

Lots of people here on the fire have expressed interest in a scope with essentially the same requirements you describe. I don't know how many a manufacturer/brand would have to sell to make the venture both profitable for them and reasonably affordable (maybe $800 - $1000 range?) for the buyer. I'm guessing companies either haven't seriously considered it, or have considered it and believe the volume in the niche market isn't sufficient.

There have been some favorable reviews here of the Huskemaw Blue Diamond products. The reticle doesn't seem to be what you describe, but doesn't look terribly cluttered relative to some of the more tactical style reticles out there. I have reservations on them for a couple of reasons. One, I have never even seen one first hand. Two, while I have read a few good reports on the mechanical accuracy and repeatability, it is far from the convincing number of positive feedback one can find on SWFA, Nightforce & the Bushnell Elite Tactical line. For those of us that haven't "shot it all and then some", it seems a bit of a risky purchase, relatively speaking.

Speaking of Huskemaw, I'd have to think their market is pretty "niche" in itself, and that as a result their volumes are pretty low. Perhaps they are a brand that could bring to market a scope with the specs discussed above? I suspect they think their current offerings meet the criteria....and they may. I'm just not confident enough, specifically on the tracking and return to zero, based on info I've dug up to give it a go.

I've read Formidilosus posts enough to believe he is in the know on many brands/models. Not sure I've seen him comment on Huskemaw at all though.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input guys. I called Doug today and the price was right, so I ordered an illuminated 3-10x42 SHV with the Force Plex reticle. I also called Kenton Industries and ordered the strip with ballistic info for my load on it. According to them it should allow shots to 600 yards. I don't ever plan on starting the shooting at that range, but it would be nice to be confident to do it in a worse case scenario, like a wounded animal.

Once it is here and zeroed I am going to go hunting for an early season youth hunt for caribou with my Granddaughter. She will be using the Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed with the SWFA 3-9 HD. I had it at the range and it likes the 127 grain Barnes LRX factory ammo and she can try it on moose later, I hope.

I am sure the new SHV, will be like the 3-9 SWFA and the 4.5-18 LRHSI Bushnell that dial like they are supposed to.

For me, at my age and hunting in Alaska like I do, I don't ever plan on using a scope weighing over much over 20 ounces.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If youā€™re looking for a 4a and for lightweight have you given the Z3 any thought?? They make a 3-10x42 with 4a that Doug could help you out with and Iā€™m sure Kenton could make you a turret for it as well. Thereā€™s also the the Z5 you can get with ballistic turret. And I believe Doug had the Leica Visus in a 2.5-10x42 on sale recently as well. Just a few more options to throw in the mix that I donā€™t think you could wrong with.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the input guys. I called Doug today and the price was right, so I ordered an illuminated 3-10x42 SHV with the Force Plex reticle. I also called Kenton Industries and ordered the strip with ballistic info for my load on it. According to them it should allow shots to 600 yards. I don't ever plan on starting the shooting at that range, but it would be nice to be confident to do it in a worse case scenario, like a wounded animal.

Once it is here and zeroed I am going to go hunting for an early season youth hunt for caribou with my Granddaughter. She will be using the Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed with the SWFA 3-9 HD. I had it at the range and it likes the 127 grain Barnes LRX factory ammo and she can try it on moose later, I hope.

I am sure the new SHV, will be like the 3-9 SWFA and the 4.5-18 LRHSI Bushnell that dial like they are supposed to.

For me, at my age and hunting in Alaska like I do, I don't ever plan on using a scope weighing over much over 20 ounces.

Iā€™ve been very happy with my 3-10 illuminated forceplex
Shv. Looking forward to using it to fill the freezer this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always a pleasure to assist the guys here (and ladies). Please give a call and we can discuss what might be the best option for you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was not aware of the Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 when I ordered the SHV. I personally prefer the 4a type of reticle for my moose hunting. Does any one know if that scope has a reputation for repeatable adjustments like Nightforce has?

This darn optics forum is an expensive place to hang out at!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'd like to know that too 1ak.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was not aware of the Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 when I ordered the SHV. I personally prefer the 4a type of reticle for my moose hunting. Does any one know if that scope has a reputation for repeatable adjustments like Nightforce has?

This darn optics forum is an expensive place to hang out at!

I have the ERI which I have been told is essentially the same exact scope as the Visus. Mine tracks and adjusts exactly how it should. Probably my favorite scope to date. That or a Meostar. It is extremely crisp and clear as well. Although I have been tempted several times, I have no experience with the NF.

And yes this optics forum is an EXTREMELY expensive place to hang out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Any fire around your place? My kid was up there fighting them for a bit and may be going back.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Foreceplex, not illuminated. I like mine.

It may require a rail for a LA, mounts well on a SA.

DF

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.