Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just pulled the trigger on a kinda rare bird... 2007 Tundra, Regular cab w/8' box in the SR5 package.... 4X4 w/4.7 102k on the miles.

Just has the timing belt, water pump and wheel bearing in the last 5k miles.

It has a little grill damage from a turkey and serious corrosion on the aluminum wheels.. both are an easy fix... the freaking doors on the thing are huge....

I think I got a prity fair deal on it for $10500.00

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
GB2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I drive a 2018 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5...Currently has 31k trouble free miles. Tows our 8k toy hauler with ease. Only thing I have done to it (outside of oil changes) is airbags, bfg tires, and an kn air filter. I average around 15.5 mpg overall. Plan to keep this one for the long haul.

My wife drove a Tahoe for years and this last summer we got her a 2018 4runner SR5. Talking with people I trust, the 4runner with the 4.0 is just about the most bomb proof, long lasting vehicle Toyota offers. Its a great little rig and I love driving it. My wife only averages about 10-12k miles a year - so we should have it for a long time as well.

My only grip or wish with Toyota, is that they would offer the Tundra Crew Cab with a 6'6" bed - 5' truck beds are useless in my opinion. It was that reason I bought the Double Cab (although truth be told the DC has a lot of room - way more than the domestics extended cabs)

**EDIT - I looked back and just realized I posted about our rigs on this thread back in Feburary...LOLOL - Oh well, our family loves our Toyotas!!!

Last edited by Hiaring8; 07/15/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
they would offer the Tundra Crew Cab with a 6'6" bed - 5' truck beds are useless in my opinion.

I've had a Tacoma with a 5' bed, 1/2 tons with 5'6" beds, 6'6' beds, 7' and 8' beds. The 5' Tacoma bed is a little small, but the 5'6" beds on 1/2 tons are a lot wider and deeper. Plus with the tailgate down and/or using a bed extender I've got 8' of usable bed in a 1/2 ton. If it won't fit in the 5'6" bed I've never found another 1' would help. It's time to go to an 8' bed or use a trailer. Plus another 1' in the bed along with a crew cab starts to take on bus like proportions especially off road. Ford offers their Raptor with an extended cab and 5'6" bed that has nearly the same wheelbase as a regular cab short bed which is a good idea I wish others would copy.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I drive a 2018 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5...Currently has 31k trouble free miles. Tows our 8k toy hauler with ease. Only thing I have done to it (outside of oil changes) is airbags, bfg tires, and an kn air filter. I average around 15.5 mpg overall. Plan to keep this one for the long haul.

My wife drove a Tahoe for years and this last summer we got her a 2018 4runner SR5. Talking with people I trust, the 4runner with the 4.0 is just about the most bomb proof, long lasting vehicle Toyota offers. Its a great little rig and I love driving it. My wife only averages about 10-12k miles a year - so we should have it for a long time as well.

My only grip or wish with Toyota, is that they would offer the Tundra Crew Cab with a 6'6" bed - 5' truck beds are useless in my opinion. It was that reason I bought the Double Cab (although truth be told the DC has a lot of room - way more than the domestics extended cabs)

**EDIT - I looked back and just realized I posted about our rigs on this thread back in Feburary...LOLOL - Oh well, our family loves our Toyotas!!!

Throw away the K&N air filter if you plan on keeping it long term. Just change the Factory Filter or use a Napa Gold Air filter and change it yearly.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Out of curiosity - Why do you recommend not using a K and N air filter? I am not a big "gear head engine guy" so I am very much a novice on a lot of that stuff, however I ran a K and N on my 96 Tacoma in highschool and college and never had any issues in the 90k miles I put on it during that time.

The only thing I have every heard was if you over oil them, it can set off your mass air flow sensor?

We are running an AFE dry filter on my wives 4runner.

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of curiosity - Why do you recommend not using a K and N air filter? I am not a big "gear head engine guy" so I am very much a novice on a lot of that stuff, however I ran a K and N on my 96 Tacoma in highschool and college and never had any issues in the 90k miles I put on it during that time.

The only thing I have every heard was if you over oil them, it can set off your mass air flow sensor?

Short: The K & N airfilters allow more abrasive particulates into your engine, and paper filters pass more than enough air so there isn't a performance penalty.

Longer: There are a lot of tests by engineers which quantify airflow, and filtering of particulates on the net.
HERE is one link

Below, is one graph (of many). This shows the dirt that got by the filter and would get in the engine, so lower is better. smile

[Linked Image]

It is rather technical (because it done by real engineers, not automotive writers or anonymous internet persons), but the graphs are good so take the time to look at the graphs (it isn't rocket surgery! grin

if you want more, google something like "test of K & N air filters" . You will find LOTS of K & N material (they market very aggressively), but disregard those and just look at the independent tests where they really measure things!

I used to use a K & N air filter, but I don't anymore because I couldn't find a quantitative test that found them to be better than conventional filters -- all the tests I found indicated the opposite. This was quite a few years ago, but I think these comparison tests are still valid.

John

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Exactly oiling the filter can be an issue if it is over oiled . I used them in an Avalon and Camry at roughly the same time. I saw no difference in gas mileage or performance, I did notice that the engine was louder when accelerating with the K&N in the Avalon.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jpb

Short: The K & N airfilters allow more abrasive particulates into your engine, and paper filters pass more than enough air so there isn't a performance penalty.

Longer: There are a lot of tests by engineers which quantify airflow, and filtering of particulates on the net.
HERE is one link

Below, is one graph (of many). This shows the dirt that got by the filter and would get in the engine, so lower is better. smile

[Linked Image]

It is rather technical (because it done by real engineers, not automotive writers or anonymous internet persons), but the graphs are good so take the time to look at the graphs (it isn't rocket surgery! grin

if you want more, google something like "test of K & N air filters" . You will find LOTS of K & N material (they market very aggressively), but disregard those and just look at the independent tests where they really measure things!

I used to use a K & N air filter, but I don't anymore because I couldn't find a quantitative test that found them to be better than conventional filters -- all the tests I found indicated the opposite. This was quite a few years ago, but I think these comparison tests are still valid.

John

John,

Thanks for posting that .

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 2017 Toyota Tacoma DC for right at six months. Loved the truck when it was just me and the wife inside. Ride was a bit rough on the back roads where I live, but enjoyed the fuel economy of around 21 MPG mixed driving (this was the 3.5l V6). I encountered problems when towing my 5200 LB trailer on the highway and hills, mind you this is in the deep South so no mountains really. The truck would struggle to maintain speed on the freeway with crazy high revs and the same with the hills. The continual downshifts were annoying. Second complaint was when we had our grand-daughter with us in the back in her car seat. Her feet would extend into the front of the cab and rest on the center console (this for a 3-year old). So lack of space and power had me trade it and eat some reverse equity for a 2018 Tundra.

The Tundra has been a worry-free dream to own. No issues with power or space. The only complaint is the fuel mileage, but it is not so bad that I would ever consider selling it. Roughly 8 MPG towing and 15.5 mixed MPG otherwise (5.7l V8 2WD).

Last edited by Mink; 07/19/19.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a F150 with a V6, and the transmission was always shifting. I hated that so much I sold it. The transmission searching is a big reason I opted for a 4.0 4Runner instead of a 3.5 Tacoma. I am thinking about a used truck, and I will look at the older 4.0 Tacomas if I get one. Might get a Tundra also, just depends.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought, actually put money down to hold, a 2020 Tundra CrewMax with the TSS Off Road package. They’d just unloaded off the semi and none of their paperwork was in order.

Pick it up Monday. Can’t wait to get it home and look at it in the driveway while I drive my 2001 Civic with 300k miles back and forth to work. smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a 2019 DC last December but considered waiting for the 2020. Are there major changes to appearance, engines and transmissions or just minor cosmetic changes? I haven't found any details, just rumors. One rumor I keep finding is about a new Cummins diesel engine option.

Pictures please.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I bought a 2019 DC last December but considered waiting for the 2020. Are there major changes to appearance, engines and transmissions or just minor cosmetic changes? I haven't found any details, just rumors. One rumor I keep finding is about a new Cummins diesel engine option.

Pictures please.

No major changes to the Tacoma. The pro gets army green as a color option.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

Pictures please.

I just read yesterday of some minor changes. Most notable was 8” dash touchscreen instead of 7”.

Pics from sales guy that aren’t very good. I like the Cement Gray color.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That looks pretty much like the 2019 to me. I ordered my SR5 DC with the tow mirrors ($50 extra) and TRD dual exhaust. The tow mirrors are every bit as good as the ones on my old 2002 F350 Ford. I was able to test drive a Tundra with the dual exhaust. Had to have them after hearing the sound! I read that they tested 30 different setups before settling on what they offer. I'd say they "done good".

You will like your Tundra.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

If you live in Idaho, that K&N is going to do harsh things to that engine. I know, I'm from Nevada, same same environments... The K&N lets in more particulates and doesn't filtrate nearly as good as the stock box filter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the tundra body style, like many I read the rumors Toyota was coming out with a turbo charged v6 for the 2019. I was waiting for that, but never materialized. Toyota did very little to the 2019. Also Toyota said they will never put a diesel in the tundra.. everyone says ah man put a diesel in it I will buy one. Right now three manufactures put diesels in the 1/2 ton and don't look like they are selling many. Last year when I was looking at new trucks, dodge had a fire sale going for ram 1500 with the diesels.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A neighbor had a 1/2 ton Dodge with a diesel for a short time. It was in the shop a lot. Last time they "fixed" it, he sold it. It was a POS.

I would not buy a Tundra with a diesel was just curious about the rumors of the Cummins. I think the Nissan Titan has that diesel engine a an option.

This 5.4 gas in my Tundra is a running machine and sounds good while doing it! Gets 16.5 to 17.5 mpg.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nissan doesn’t offer the Cummins anymore. Only 3 model years. Didn’t sell well at all.

I’m keeping my 6.0-no Ford diesel. It’s been mostly “bulletproofed” and has been a good truck. I’ll keep it for gooseneck and 5th wheel duty and just when I want to drive something with scary torque (tuned....).

The Tundra will become my mostly daily driver and hopefully be trouble free for 10+ years.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m on my third Tundra.....went back to a first gen 4.7.....I just like the body style and the combo of room/size, motor, and way they drive. Nothing wrong with my 5.7 2015, but I just think the first gen fits what I want it to do better. If I need more truck, then I’ll buy a 3/4-1 ton diesel to sit around until I need to haul a house.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.