Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was born in 1950, and grew up hearing the stories my grandmother told about her childhood. She had a neighbor who was a veteran of the War Between the States. He told her stories about such things as being in a battle and getting so thirsty that he drank out of a creek filled with the blood of dead and dying soldiers. We lived near the birthplace of Jefferson Davis, and my grandfather helped build the 351 tall monument that honors him.

Although Kentucky was a border state, and didn't secede, I live in a part of the state that was pro-Confederate in it's sentiments, partly because of the large farms that were here, and the slaves that went with them. When you have been raised since childhood being told the stories that I was, it is very easy to be swayed by what you hear. As I got older and learned more about the war, and it's local connections, it was easy to become more and more pro-South in my feelings. My late brother was a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and tried to get me to join up. I just didn't have the time to spend doing it, and wish now I had done so.

Anyway, I don't hold any animosity or hatred towards any from the North, but I do get pretty heated up when they tell the lies that they do as to what they perceive to be the causes of the war. Other than that, I'll go to my grave believing the South had every right to secede from the Union, and that Lincoln pushed the South into war.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I was born in 1950, and grew up hearing the stories my grandmother told about her childhood. She had a neighbor who was a veteran of the War Between the States. He told her stories about such things as being in a battle and getting so thirsty that he drank out of a creek filled with the blood of dead and dying soldiers. We lived near the birthplace of Jefferson Davis, and my grandfather helped build the 351 tall monument that honors him.

Although Kentucky was a border state, and didn't secede, I live in a part of the state that was pro-Confederate in it's sentiments, partly because of the large farms that were here, and the slaves that went with them. When you have been raised since childhood being told the stories that I was, it is very easy to be swayed by what you hear. As I got older and learned more about the war, and it's local connections, it was easy to become more and more pro-South in my feelings. My late brother was a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and tried to get me to join up. I just didn't have the time to spend doing it, and wish now I had done so.

Anyway, I don't hold any animosity or hatred towards any from the North, but I do get pretty heated up when they tell the lies that they do as to what they perceive to be the causes of the war. Other than that, I'll go to my grave believing the South had every right to secede from the Union, and that Lincoln pushed the South into war.
It's only too late to join the Sons after you're in the ground.

My 3rd Great Uncle marched off with the boys in gray and was never seen again. My Mom's Great Uncle got the paper from his Brigade's executive officer saying he was a good and faithful soldier in all his duties and was present with Lee at the surrender. I have it. A bunch of other offshoots of my lineage served the Confederacy. My Great Great Grandfather helped build the works at Mobile Bay. My wife's 3rd Great Grandpa served the Confederacy at Vicksburg.

After the war, occupational troops came through and shot my Great Great Uncle's bulldog. He was just a little kid. The family moved west soon after that.

I believe the South was right. I believe Lincoln precipitated the war and that the main reason was to keep the South in the Union in order to tax them and force them to pay tariffs. There were powerful landowners in the South that did not wish to give up their slaves, so from the southern perspective, certainly the war was about slavery, but most did not own slaves and would not have gone to war just to protect the property of others. As Bristoe said, we are diminished by the outcome of the war.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If Ya'll are interested, there was a secessionist movement that never went anywhere in New England as a result of economic issues related to the war of 1812......some of their ideas were copied by the Confederates 50 years later. Google it.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats no doubt true....but to say it had nothing to do with slavery??

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Is foolish.....

Most of the world’s cotton came from the south. It takes land, labor, and capital. Regardless of where the ships came from I’d say the south had a higher demand for cheap labor.

Slavery is an abomination in any society and existed at one point in all of them. The south’s transition out of it would have eventually happened, and they knew it. Just a matter of technology and time, both cut short during the war. Cotton gin for starters.

Anyway, that’s kinda my perspective.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Slavery needed to end,..no doubt about it. It went on far too long in America. But one big issue that nobody knew how to address was 4 million slaves that had nothing being turned out to fend for themselves.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Slavery needed to end,..no doubt about it. It went on far too long in America. But one big issue that nobody knew how to address was 4 million slaves that had nothing being turned out to fend for themselves.

And more opportunity for exploitation. I don’t believe this county would be what it is had it never existed. What happened to slaves after the war was pretty damn bad and a lot of that crap still runs deep.

This country was built on a lot of backs that didn’t care to build it and got nothing in return. That’s a cold fact. And the USA isn’t the only place it’s happened.

I also don’t believe confederate monuments should be taken down, but dedications to slaves should be erected in proximity.

If you’re going to tell a story, tell the whole phuqqin story.

Then learn from it and move forward.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

40 acres and a mule.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
See Oregon, it is next.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

Is foolish.....

Most of the world’s cotton came from the south. It takes land, labor, and capital. Regardless of where the ships came from I’d say the south had a higher demand for cheap labor.

Slavery is an abomination in any society and existed at one point in all of them. The south’s transition out of it would have eventually happened, and they knew it. Just a matter of technology and time, both cut short during the war. Cotton gin for starters.

For what it's worth the cotton gin was a driver for the increased need for labor in south because it increased production so much. The civil war would never have happened if the emancipation proclamation would have been enacted at the beginning of the war since there was not even enough support for it in the northern states at the time. Blacks, Irish, and Chinese were not treated very well in the 1800's anyplace in the US. That was also the area when England starved millions of Irish to death so they could sell their food at a better profit. So really the whole planet was pretty harsh by today's standards

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DiMZfCar-Ks8&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwisiJuekrrjAhWEZ80KHSpDBV0QyCkwAHoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1B5dXCbuyLN8nl6SOrdqjc

Old guy, old guns.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RickyD

40 acres and a mule.

https://www.nps.gov/home/learn/historyculture/exodusters.htm
...Slavery was nothing more than a bad memory; the Fourteenth Amendment to the ... unique to their condition also prevented many freed blacks from moving ahead. ... Movement to parts further west, such as Kansas, began almost immediately ...

...Thousands of African-Americans made their way to Kansas and other Western states after Reconstruction. The Homestead Act and other liberal land laws offered blacks (in theory) the opportunity to escape the racism and oppression of the post-war South and become owners of their own tracts of private farmland. For people who had spent their lives working the lands of white masters with no freedom or pay, the opportunities offered by these land laws must have seemed the answer to prayer. Many individuals and families were indeed willing to leave the only place they had known to move to a place few of them had ever seen. The large-scale black migration from the South to Kansas came to be known as the "Great Exodus," and those participating in it were called "exodusters."

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
https://youtu.be/iMZfCar-Ks8

Ignore last one,hope this works.

Old guy, old guns.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jun/16/slavery-starvation-civil-war

Hundreds of thousands of slaves freed during the American civil war died from disease and hunger after being liberated, according to a new book.

The analysis, by historian Jim Downs of Connecticut College, casts a shadow over one of the most celebrated narratives of American history, which sees the freeing of the slaves as a triumphant righting of the wrongs of a southern plantation system that kept millions of black Americans in chains.

But, as Downs shows in his book, Sick From Freedom, the reality of emancipation during the chaos of war and its bloody aftermath often fell brutally short of that positive image. Instead, freed slaves were often neglected by union soldiers or faced rampant disease, including horrific outbreaks of smallpox and cholera. Many of them simply starved to death.

After combing through obscure records, newspapers and journals Downs believes that about a quarter of the four million freed slaves either died or suffered from illness between 1862 and 1870. He writes in the book that it can be considered "the largest biological crisis of the 19th century" and yet it is one that has been little investigated by contemporary historians.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My GG Grandfather had one slave, he stayed on with the family after the war.
Very seriously doubt he was treated any worse before the war

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Shelby Foot who spent 20 years writing the "Civil War Series" said the only way to settle the issue of slavery was with armed conflict.

If you read that entire tome my hat is off to you, sir.

I couldn't hang but for about half of the first book. Great for insomnia.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by 16bore

Is foolish.....

For what it's worth the cotton gin was a driver for the increased need for labor in south because it increased production so much. The civil war would never have happened if the emancipation proclamation would have been enacted at the beginning of the war since there was not even enough support for it in the northern states at the time. Blacks, Irish, and Chinese were not treated very well in the 1800's anyplace in the US. That was also the area when England starved millions of Irish to death so they could sell their food at a better profit. So really the whole planet was pretty harsh by today's standards

This is an excellent point. Abolitionist, people who were against slavery for humanitarian reasons, compromised about 10% of the people in the North pre-civil war. The real opposition between the sections was along economic, political, and racial lines. Some western territories opposed slavery not because they liked black people but because they did not want any around under any circumstances. The war was indeed all about slavery but slavery was a very complex issue in those days. The founders punted on the issue to get the South on board with the Revolution and subsequent generations squabbled and made compromises up until the war.

Today everyone is against slavery for humanitarian reasons. So the war between the states is portrayed by media, entertainment, and what passes for academia as Northern abolitionists who were so tore up about blacks being mistreated and enslaved that they went to war to free them from mean Southern people. Not that simple by far.

Yes, the world used to be pretty harsh. Those of us from the boomer generation to present day with the exception of those who served in one of the wars have been living in the most gentle of times and we really don't have a clue what life was like in the 19th century.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/16/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by RickyD

40 acres and a mule.

https://www.nps.gov/home/learn/historyculture/exodusters.htm
...Slavery was nothing more than a bad memory; the Fourteenth Amendment to the ... unique to their condition also prevented many freed blacks from moving ahead. ... Movement to parts further west, such as Kansas, began almost immediately ...

...Thousands of African-Americans made their way to Kansas and other Western states after Reconstruction. The Homestead Act and other liberal land laws offered blacks (in theory) the opportunity to escape the racism and oppression of the post-war South and become owners of their own tracts of private farmland. For people who had spent their lives working the lands of white masters with no freedom or pay, the opportunities offered by these land laws must have seemed the answer to prayer. Many individuals and families were indeed willing to leave the only place they had known to move to a place few of them had ever seen. The large-scale black migration from the South to Kansas came to be known as the "Great Exodus," and those participating in it were called "exodusters."

Probably isn't there anymore...

there use to be historical markers up in Stearns County MN, where a bunch of land was given to former black slave by the Federal Government in 1868....

yeah, good compassionate Northerners and their "love" for former slaves...

it was pretty much swamp land, where you couldn't grow nothing..

no shelter etc... most of them froze to death in the first winter....those that didn't starved...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
See Oregon, it is next.

Me and Roy already FREED our slaves....

and sold our plantations to developers from California...

they are putting in some really really nice trailer parks....

we made all of our money back tho, growing Dope on Forest Service Land...

Tommy Chong and Cheech Marin were our financial investors...

Life's good... food stamps and my first disability checks start next week...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Shelby Foot who spent 20 years writing the "Civil War Series" said the only way to settle the issue of slavery was with armed conflict.

If you read that entire tome my hat is off to you, sir.

I couldn't hang but for about half of the first book. Great for insomnia.

Really? It's one of my favorites on the ACW. I still go back and retread it occasionally.
Not criticizing, just commenting because everyone I know who's read it agrees with me.
I've heard folks say "Bruce Catton set the standard, and Shelby Foote raised the standard"!
Who's your favorite?
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.