Print Thread
Hop To
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Who uses one and how good does it work in hilly country. How many channels do you get?

The wife and I are considering giving DirecTV the boot because I seldom watch t.v. and she only watches a few channels, none (except local news) of which she will get if we do this. As long as we keep internet, Hulu and Netflix she says it'll be fine by her.

What brand antenna and anything specific to look for or avoid?

Thanks.

Last edited by dave284; 07/15/19.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
There is no such thing as a digital antenna. There is a big difference in antennas. Height, and a rotor to tune in stations may help a lot.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Go to tvfool.com and plug in your info to give you an idea of what channels you can get.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dish came and installed one so we'd get local channels without them having to pay the local stations.

They put it on a mast I had, and it works better than the satellite receiver.

Probably get 20-30 channels off of it.

Not sure which brand they used, but it appears to be directional. Town is 25 miles away, and we have a lots of trees.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Dish came and installed one so we'd get local channels without them having to pay the local stations.

They put it on a mast I had, and it works better than the satellite receiver.

Probably get 20-30 channels off of it.

Not sure which brand they used, but it appears to be directional. Town is 25 miles away, and we have a lots of trees.

I didn't know Dish would do that? Did they charge for doing it? I get my local channels from my Dish receiver.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No sir. It was free.

It seems that certain groups of local TV stations tried to hold them up for more money to broadcast their channels through Dish Satellite.

Dish told them to take a hike.

Dish contacted us and offered the free local antennae, free installation, and then they would deduct what we charged for local channels from our bill...

I couldn't very well say "no"... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got ya, Barry. Our local channels are out of Nashville TN, and I pay Dish a small fee to get them. I ain't complaining, it's only money...lol.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Got ya, Barry. Our local channels are out of Nashville TN, and I pay Dish a small fee to get them. I ain't complaining, it's only money...lol.

I was behind Dish when they told HBO & Showtime to stuff it, as well.

HBO had gotten so liberal, it was sickening.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not take HBO or Showtime. I don't care much for the newer movies anyway, so don't figure I'm missing anything. I could probably put up an antenna, get what I could with it, and do without Dosh. But, I do like the old Westerns on the Western channel, and Turner Classic, along with some of the other channels. I figure I can justify my Dish bill by the fact that we don't go to see movies, plays, or spend money on any form of entertainment other than the TV. Unless you count the internet bill and the entertainment I get from this place.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I do not take HBO or Showtime. I don't care much for the newer movies anyway, so don't figure I'm missing anything. I could probably put up an antenna, get what I could with it, and do without Dosh. But, I do like the old Westerns on the Western channel, and Turner Classic, along with some of the other channels. I figure I can justify my Dish bill by the fact that we don't go to see movies, plays, or spend money on any form of entertainment other than the TV. Unless you count the internet bill and the entertainment I get from this place.

Agreed.

I have my DVR full of the good stuff movies too!

When I get disgusted with the offerings for the evening, I go to what I have recorded and watch Tombstone, or The Cowboys... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

dumped Direct TV about 18 months ago......

Stream Net Flix....Amazon......U Tube etc......

they are all a rip off.......Amazon bumped Prime to $119

But you need some type of device to stream...I use Blue Ray player ($80)

For local channels...I watch the fake news/weather on this local antenna..free

works OK for $30 from Amazon

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks guys. We use to live down in a holler and couldn't get but one channel on an antenna on analog t.v. and only 3 or 4 scratchy radio stations on an battery powered radio. Since moving we are very near the top of the hill and I can get radio stations that I didn't even know existed. smile Has me hopeful for the t.v. antenna.

As a sign of the changing times, when we first moved in here I stopped to buy a radio. Quickly learned they are no longer called a radio. It is a "Blue Tooth Speaker" with an am/fm tuner. crazy

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you knock out drones with that thing?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.