Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any of you use one?

I own a HR 28' tow behind camper that the little lady and I use for our camping expeditions.... and a full up 12x14x5 white marine canvas wall tent set up for the major trips with the elk hunting gang.

The wall tent is a spin off of my earlier late season rifle elk hunts - cold, snow and rain, mud, ice and generally poor forest road conditions, made this the go-to camp of choice.

Now my archery elk hunts are basically summer affairs and the whole wall tent journey is tiresome.

The wall tent camp is a large puzzle of pieces that take a lot of time to set up and take down.

I saw two of the JJ trailers in our archery area a few years ago and they were every bit as far off the grid as we were.

So, I'm wondering if this isn't a good option for not only the summer elk hunts, but a lot of other adventures off the beaten track...?

Anyone with JJ experience that they'd like to share??

Thx, BT

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I absolutely love mine. We went through 3 popups, a travel trailer, and a motor home until we went back to tent camping once gas was $4 a gallon. The Jumping Jack tows well, goes up quickly, and has the ground clearance to get into anywhere that I would take my Tacoma 4x4.

They are a bit pricey, but the quality is very good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A good friend who lives in Arizona has one and loves it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good to hear!

I just came off an elk hunt where I was the caller for my brother. He drew a hard to get tag for an area a good solid 8 hour drive from my door.

I took utility trailer and the usual wall tent camp and all the stuff for it.

This (JJ) looks like it would save hauling a ton of gear ) I'd have to down size some things - like my cooking station, etc...)

Everything came back filthy with dust and it was a major pita to clean everything up and get it back into storage.

I could have an entire JJ camp set up - including solar shower and outhouse and awning, in less time than it takes to properly erect the wall tent and start to move in.

Any others??

BT53

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have one. Can't say enough good things about it. Even took it up the North Canol Road here in the Yukon (Very rough).

Video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNw...nV0ceWlkmw&index=17&feature=plcp

Jumping Jack described 5:30..Interior 7:20 Going across a stream 10:12

What is good about the Jumping Jack is
1) Light Weight and very rough country capable
2) Quick set Up
3) Ability to haul extra load on top
4) Very Comfortable Beds

We heat ours with a little buddy heater. Very cozy to -10C

Last edited by North61; 09/30/12.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Too Fun!

How many times did you hear, "ARE WE THERE YET?"

BT53

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Too Fun!

How many times did you hear, "ARE WE THERE YET?"

Not too often. Every spot in the super-cab is within my old man reach.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by North61
I have one. Can't say enough good things about it. Even took it up the North Canol Road here in the Yukon (Very rough).

Video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNw...nV0ceWlkmw&index=17&feature=plcp

Jumping Jack described 5:30..Interior 7:20 Going across a stream 10:12

What is good about the Jumping Jack is
1) Light Weight and very rough country capable
2) Quick set Up
3) Ability to haul extra load on top
4) Very Comfortable Beds

We heat ours with a little buddy heater. Very cozy to -10C

Very cool video! Thanks for sharing that.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
TTT for the Monday crew... Thanks

BT53

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your kid describing the trailer was cracking me up. Making good memories there.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I didnt have the money for one, so I kind of modified a small trailer to make it work for what we wanted.

The nice thing is that I can customize it for whatever I want to do, from hauling animals for hunting/hauling dirt/camping, etc. I can slide the top off if I need to haul dirt, or throw it back on to keep it dry. It also has a side door on each side to access things while in transit. It is nice to be able to take off road also.

measures about 5x5 roughly, front space for coolers, front tongue box has marine battery and 2500 watt inverter(gets charged from the tow vehicle), receiver hitch on the back (hitch haul for more stuff, bike rack for camping, etc), and rack on top for clothes, foldable kayak, etc, and with the tailgate down and top off I could transport my arctic cat 400 full size atv. I used same tires that my jeep uses, so the spare for the vehicle will also work for the trailer. Very versatile.

Setup of our camping takes about an hour (cooking area, tent, sleeping bags/cots, etc) Tent is a Kodiak Canvas (Springbar knockoff, but great quality) 9x14 with 8x8 front awning area. Family loves it, as it has plenty of room, can walk around standing up, and the front area is open to the ground where the kids play/we eat when raining. Got to love canvas tents!

Trailer (space between tongue box and trailer holds coolers; and the top rack was not installed yet in this picture... see last picture for how it moutns)
[Linked Image]

Tent (trailer now has gas struts that lift the lid up)
[Linked Image]

Combo with the jeep
[Linked Image]

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a Gander Mountain in your area check with them. They had a bunch of leftovers here when they quit selling them and deeply discounted them. They never really caught on down here so maybe it was a regional deal.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys!

I appreciate your time and experience.

BT53

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hey-
Very old thread, but looking at them and thinking hard about getting one of the 6x12 units.
Any one have more recent information?
Thanks.
Joe

Last edited by MO2AZ; 07/15/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just one example of how well built they are. On the hinge on each side where the top folds out to make the beds there is a grease fitting to lubricate the hinge. To extend the temperature range line the inside of the tent with Reflextic insulation to save propane.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are they still 6500.00?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
$6500 cry Nope!

2019 6x12 "Blackout" with tandem axles, axles rated at 3500lbs each for a 7000gvw rating is, at about $11k plus accessories.
Besides some cosmetics which are nice but not particularly useful, the real benefit the Blackout package provides is 16" wheels (vs 15" std rims) and tires (truck tires vs std trailer type) for greater 1.ground clearance and 2. IMHO tires built better for off road use.
Pricey,,,but am hoping will get me deeper in hunt country without problems I'd been having pulling my hard side trailer.... while being about 5000lbs lighter....and will allow me to transport my Ranger UTV as well as camp & gear.
Time will tell...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.