Hop To
#13980555 07/16/19
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Just bought a new piece of property which has 2-3 acres of flat ground to mow. I’m thinking in the interest of time I should be looking at a zero turn, but never owned one before. I had a box store JD tractor for a previous 1/2 acre, it did well and I liked the versatility of yard wagon and plowing snow. A zero turn seems to just do one thing very well, cut grass fast and efficiently.

So looking at zero turns, local Lowe’s has a Hustler Raptor 23 HP, 54” deck and a JD z355E. Anyone have experience with these or is there another model I should be eyeballing? I was initially thinking JD, but the steel deck on the Hustler looks really well built. I want something that will last and that I can maintain myself.

BTW- Also thought about a sub compact (Kubota) with mid-mount deck as I can use/need the tractor for the other parts of the property which is much larger than the mowed portion. However everyone says it takes forever and can tear up the yard, so pretty much opted out of that idea.

Last edited by TomM1; 07/16/19.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd get a welded deck, and make sure the mower frame isn't pressed, thin metal as well.

You'll like a zero turn. smile

There are some models that use heavier, thicker blades. I go through about 2 sets of heavy blades a year on my Bad Boy Magnum.

Got that one at Tractor Supply.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shop carefully.
No one really builds ztr's, they assemble, from off the rack parts.
Frames and decks are all that are proprietary. A good heavy frame and deck
Is a plus. But steel is cheap, and using a heavier gauge is a way to look good,
at little cost. Engines and drives are expensive, and hard to judge by appearance.
Cub used a chittt drive several years ago. I would see four or five out of warranty
units sitting at the implement dealer's junk pile. $2500 units, a couple years
old, with a bad $1000 drive. The other side is the same junk, your new one will be the
same junk. So you scrap an essentially new mower.

Research the engine and drive units.
Do not fall into the trap of thinking an engine brand is good.
They are all milking brand reputation by selling junk engines with a good name on them.
A Briggs Vanguard is superior to some of the crap Kohler has been selling.
A good Kohler is still a top engine, research.

One quick way to judge a ztr,
size of the drive tires.

The cheapo's use little tires, better ones use bigger tires.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/17/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't own any other type of mower than a zero turn. But, I also have tractors to do that kind of work, so if I was looking for a compromise, I wouldn't be afraid in the least to go with a sub-compact tractor with a deck mower. My son and I bought a JD like that, with mower and frontend loader. Since I already had a mower, I didn't use it for mowing very much, but he did, and it will flat cut grass. The only negative thing I had against it as far as a mower goes, was it was too big to maneuver around all the trees and buildings I have in my yard.

As far as zero turns go, I have a Husqvarna MZ5225. It has the welded deck, commercial rated gears, 25 HP Kohler, and a 52 inch cut......and it will chew up a yard, especially if it's wet. But, it is a mowing machine, and I've not had one problem with it in the 5 years that I've owned it. I opted for it over the model with the 60 inch deck because I can get around stuff easier.

I've seen the mowers you're talking about at Lowes, and the Hustler is a nice looking machine, although I know nothing about it. As far as the JD mowers that Lowes sells, I've had people who are familiar with Deere tell me that those are cheaper made versions from what you would buy at a Deere dealer.

If you're willing to wait a few months, you can probably get a good deal on a mower.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks all. Many good points. Think I’m going to revisit the subcompact route.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any mower you buy at a box store is going to built to a price point.
I have an Exmark, one of the top pro brands, they make a cheap
version I wouldn't own.

Hustler makes great zero turns, but I would bet against one sold at Lowe's.
It might be identical to the cheapest model sold by a dealer.
But, that model is for someone that wanted a zero turn, and had seen pro's
using a Hustler. It's made to sell, period.

Mowers, chain saws, (including the great Stihl), and much more,
befuddled me.

These companies know the value of their reputation.
It has taken decades of building quality products to build that name,
and they bank on it,

Then, they sell cheap, darn near junk stuff, using that trusted name.
Don't they understand, that a guy thinks he is getting quality,
just not pro grade. When it [bleep] the bed, and leaves him high and dry,
He is going to bad mouth (and degrade) that name

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bought a Bad Boy CZT Elite 60" (commercial model) a few years ago. They claim it's the heaviest deck in the industry. This one has a Briggs Vangaurd engine. I've replaced both valve cover gaskets, the breather o-ring, and it's at the dealer now getting the crankcase gasket replaced. It's a mowing son of a gun if you can keep oil in it. Wish I had sprung for the Yamaha engine instead of the Briggs.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dixie Choppah!

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Grasshopper 329 Big Block 61" deck. Has the BS Vanguard 29 HP horizontal shaft engine. No issues of any kind in 105 hours.

Before that I had a Hustler ZTrac 52" with 20 HP Honda. A little over 500 hours in 13 years with a bad engine coil the last year. The Raptor is a cheaper version. I don't know why manufacturers think that enhances their brands. John Deere did the same thing with the Saber series that were sold in Lowes and other big box stores. Not the quality you would expect from JD.

If you go with Zero Turn, get one with the largest tires you can, especially the front tires. It will ride better. My Grasshopper has a Grammar air ride seat. It is worth the money.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1_deuce, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,076
Posts18,463,825
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.