Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

A guide to inclusive language published by a Colorado State University task force cautions students, faculty, and staff to avoid the use of the terms "America" and "American," among others, some of which might not be known to the common person to be considered offensive.

The Inclusive Language Guide was compiled by Colorado State's Inclusive Communications Task Force with the goal of "helping communicators practice inclusive language and helping everyone on our campus feel welcomed, respected, and valued."

The guide explains why "America/American" is a "word/phrase to avoid":

"The Americas encompass a lot more than the United States. There is South America, Central America, Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean just to name a few of 42 countries in total. That's why the word "americano" in Spanish can refer to anything on the American continent. Yet, when we talk about "Americans" in the United States, we're usually just referring to people from the United States. This erases other cultures and depicts the United States as the dominant American country."

Instead, people should say "U.S. citizen" or "person from the U.S."

Much of the document is devoted to eliminating the use of common words that express or imply gender or biological sex, such as "freshman," "policeman," "male," and "female."

"Male and female refers to biological sex and not gender," the guide explains. "In terms of communication methods (articles, social media, etc.), we very rarely need to identify or know a person's biological sex and more often are referring to gender. In these cases, using gender identity terms is preferred."

The guide also discourages the use of "he" or "she," instead guiding students to use terms such as "They/them/theirs/ Ze/hir/hir" because "he" and "she" "imply that gender is binary (i.e. either man or woman)."

(H/T Campus Reform)

What a way to start the morning. I know CSU is not getting any more of my money.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh for F ucks sake!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Deltakid: Sad!
It seems that Colorado is turning into kalifornicationkopia "east" of recent.
You are doing the right thing - withholding your financial support - I think a pointed yet polite letter to the "offenders" might also do some good?
Again, sad!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"1984"

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a way to start the morning. I know CSU is not getting any more of my money.

what if they beat CU in football?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've never understood why anyone would voluntarily give money to the State.

RS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe that the U.S. of AMERICA is the only country to use the name America in it's name (am I missing any others?). So, technically it's correct to call ourselves Americans. I will continue to do so and screw the liberals.
My chromosomes are X and Y. My wife's are 2 X's. When they find someone with a Z, I'll start changing what I call them but for now it's 'he', 'she', and 'pervert'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by RipSnort
"1984"

RS

Yep and Merry Christmas to you all.

Pretty soon we won’t even be able to look at each other for fear of offending someone with a look as with those Roman Catholic kids in DC during pro life march.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
CSU is my alma mater too, and in my time it was the more conservative of the schools.

I guess carrying a prof's rifle down the hall after I had worked on it wouldn't go over too well these days.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
CSU is my alma mater too, and in my time it was the more conservative of the schools.

I guess carrying a prof's rifle down the hall after I had worked on it wouldn't go over too well these days.

Paul

They would throw rocks at you. It’s likely they have buckets of rocks hidden in each classroom for that very reason.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I much prefer thinking of the US as the dominant country in the Americas so maybe I will start referring to it as THE America. And the the people as THE Americans.

The Ohio State be damned!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I already sent the polite "you can go to hell" email to the alumni association after that Poon b***h and her comments about whites and the open and naked racism that the left seems to totally ignore. I haven't decided whether to root for the football team yet - Bobo just does not seem to have the OOMPH to get them up. At least there is still Wyoming and Boise State.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul

It really seems that CSU (like Colorado) is racing CU to see which school can hit bottom faster. Boulder has the advantage in that it is a totally liberal s**t hole of a town, but Ft Collins is fast catching up.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Can you still use " 'merican "?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I am a CSU alum and worked for them for 30 years in the Ag Experiment Station. Their “New Direction” is the reason I decided to move on.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been pulling some good maters out of my garden last few days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It used to be College was a place where you went to learn new things, meet new people and be exposed to new ideas and get you ready to go out into a work world to prove yourself.

Now they want to create a safe place where the little snowflakes are not offended or made uncomfortable. This should work out well for them. crazy

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Someone better tell the Canucks that. I've been called an American many times while traveling through their lovely country (politics aside).

That don't pinch my balls none at all. Maybe it's the pleasant tone of voice and lack of sneer.

They are sneaky like that. smile

Last edited by las; 07/18/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is crap we have fighting against in Colorado. But we losing inch by inch.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by sactoller
Oh for F ucks sake!

What he said.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.