Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by JPro
Merits of the 260 vs 6.5CM? Hmmm..... Anybody think Romney has what it takes to beat Obama?

Haaaaaa ha

I have 3 creedmoors none shoot MOA , 5 - 260's 2 lever action,, #1 ,, xp-100 , and a double barrel all shoot 1/4 moa in any conditions when i do my part .

Most inane comment of the thread, thus far.

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Merits of the 260 vs 6.5CM? Hmmm..... Anybody think Romney has what it takes to beat Obama?

Haaaaaa ha

I have 3 creedmoors none shoot MOA , 5 - 260's 2 lever action,, #1 ,, xp-100 , and a double barrel all shoot 1/4 moa in any conditions when i do my part .

Most inane comment of the thread, thus far.

I just UN-friended you mister !!!!!!!!!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have posted this before, which mostly applies to this same tired subject:

The 6.5 Creedmoor did NOT appear 2-3 years ago, and become popular because of "marketing hype." Instead it was introduced in 2007 as a target round. Then some hunters started using it, and discovered it worked very well, in fact better than already established 6.5mm rounds with the same basic ballistics.

This was because Hornady made very accurate factory ammo which didn't cost much, and the first factory hunting rifles were very accurate, and not just with handloads but that factory ammo. This is very different than what Remington did with the .260, with it's 1-9 twist and often mediocre factory ammo--that after a few years you couldn't buy (if you could find it) in anything except the 140 Core-Lokt.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also VERY different than the 6.5x55, because 6.5x55 chambers and actions have varied so widely since 1892 that nobody can make factory ammo that works anywhere nearly as well as 6.5 Creedmoor ammo in various 6.5x55 rifles. This is a major point that many rifle loonies miss, because they assume EVERYBODY handloads, and probably for a custom rifle, or at least a "tuned" factory rifle.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is VERY accurate in just about any rifle, and there's a wide variety of pretty inexpensive factory ammo available loaded with an incredibly wide variety of both match and hunting bullets. I know all this because of having owned many 6.5 rifles over the years, including several factory and custom .260's and 6.5x55's (as well as other 6.5's), plus actually owning, shooting and hunting with several 6.5 Creedmoors. In fact the very first 100-yard group I fired with my first 6.5 Creedmoor, a factory Ruger, back in 2010, was with Hornady factory ammo. It measured around .6 inch--for 5 shots, not the typical three shots most hunters shoot today.

All of this also why the 6.5 Creedmoor has become one of the standard world-wide cartridges chambered in factory rifles, which means not just in America but Europe and elsewhere. One of my friends is a long-time South African professional hunter who also owns a big sporting goods store. He reports that around 80% of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors--because they work, whether with factory ammo or handloads.

Let me conclude by stating that while I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm a gun writer. My job is to try new stuff to see how it works, in order to explain to readers its pros and cons. That's why I tried the 6.5 Creedmoor, along with various other new cartridges that have appeared over the decades. Often I wait a year or two after the introduction, to see if they're still hanging around. In the instance of the 6.5 Creedmoor I waited three years, until 2010--and it's far more popular now than then. In the interim I've fooled with around ten 6.5 Creedmoor rifles, half of them purchased by me, so know far more about it than those who've never even fired one.

During that period I also didn't sell my custom 6.5x55, acquired another .260 (which I still have), and also did not sell my .257 Roberts or .270. Again, that's because I'm a gun writer whose job is to keep investigating and learning--and bullets, powder and even rifling twists continually appear that make even very old cartridges work a little better.

Since 2010, when I took my first big game with the 6.5 Creedmoor (a pronnghorn) I've used the following cartridges to take a bunch of other big game animals, both in North America and Africa, with cartridges as diverse as the .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester, .257 Roberts, .25-06 Remington, .257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 6.5x57R Mauser, 6.5x55 Norwegian/Swedish, 6.5 PRC, .270 Winchester, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, .338 Winchester Magnum, 9.3x62 Mauser and .416 Rigby. (Oh, and a few more with the 6.5 Creedmoor, as well as being next to hunting companions who used the 6.5 Creedmoor.)

Guess what? They all worked. Are they then better than the 6.5 Creedmoor, or just as good? It's not my job to answer that question--though apparently it IS the job of Internet experts who've never fired a Creedmoor. Many of these are also convinced that some ancient round (perhaps even an obscure wildcat) or powder or bullet they started using years ago is all anybody NEEDS. That's a pretty common among rifle loonies, and if it makes them happy, then why not?

But apparently it doesn't make all of them happy, or even most of 'em. Instead it makes them grumpy, apparently because the rest of the world doesn't consider them THE expert on every aspect of hunting rifles, because they've killed animals with their favorite cartridge, powder or bullet.

Guess what? I don't really care what somebody else uses to kill big game. Once again, that's not my job. Instead my job is to relay information I've confirmed at the range or in the field. I am NOT somebody who's believes the a 6.5 Creedmoor is the best general-purpose hunting round, just somebody who has actually used the cartridge enough to understand why it's so popular.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]

I rest my case.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So were does the .264 Win Mag fit into the discussion?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by recoiljunky
[Linked Image]

I rest my case.

His soulmate Lafonda helps with wind calls - it's 6.5 creedmoor match made in Heaven ..

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Haaaaaa ha

this one time,...at band camp....

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been a 6.5MM junkie since the early 1970's when I bought a Remington 700 BDL rifle chambered in 6.5 Rem Magnum. I liked it enough that I bought a 264 Win Mag a few years later.

The 264 was followed by a 6.5x55 Swede, a 6.5x284, a 6.5-06, and later by a 260 Rem. I followed up with a 6.5 Creedmoor when they first became available.

Today I still own the original 6.5 Rem Mag, 2- 264 Win Mags, 2-6.5x55 Swedes, one 6.5x284, one 6.5-06, one 260 Rem, and one 6.5 CM. Of the bunch, I generally grab the Sako AV 6.5x55 Swede simply because I like the rifle the best of the bunch. All of them will do basically the same thing - within reason - with varying velocities and bullets, and IMO, the bullets are what makes all of the 6.5 cartridges extremely versatile. Anything from a 129 grain bullet to a 160 grain bullet will kill anything you might encounter in North America.

Pick the one you decide is best with a good bullet for what you're hunting and it probably won't fail you.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Haaaaaa ha

A double rifle that shoots quarter MOA groups must be one of a kind. Who made it?

You must have had bad luck, picking 3 lemons, when buying rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The first 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought, a V2, has been the most accurate straight out of the box rifle that I've yet to own. It has shot almost every brand and style of factory ammo that I've shot from it MOA or better. The only factory ammo that it hasn't done that well with was some American Eagle 140 grain HPs. It must be that particular combination, 'cause that same ammo, from the same lot, has gone MOA or better in rifles from Remington, Ruger, and Savage.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll withhold comments until Shrapnel chimes in then I'll just say +1.....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am sticking with my old school 7x57 AI

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More efficient, faster twist barrels, less intrusion into the case with long high B.C. bullets, sharper shoulder for solid seating.

These things make a difference, but it is a small difference. Probably in most applications the average shooter won't notice them. The fact is I tend to think when the round came off the custom gunsmiths bench and went to mass production some of these advantages were lost.

I tend to think if I took 50 of each, given the same rifling twist, and locked them in a machine rest the graph of the results probably would be nearly identical.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

I rest my case.

His soulmate Lafonda helps with wind calls - it's 6.5 creedmoor match made in Heaven ..

Its La-fawn-duh, dude.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
One thing's for sure, these arguments have been around since the metallic cartridge came into existence and they will remain forever.

Thanks Mule Deer for a great post.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Since I have neither it matters little to me it seems twist plays into it, Rem has a bad habit of using slow twists making heavy bullets less accurate
If I come up with a 6.5 it would probably be a rebored handi, so it would have to be the. 260. Like I need another gun or caliber

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Armednfree,

Your thought is incorrect. ("I tend to think if I took 50 of each, given the same rifling twist, and locked them in a machine rest the graph of the results probably would be nearly identical.")

I have now owned 5 assembly-line produced 6.5 Creedmoors, mostly because the first one shot so well (with factory ammunition) that I had to see if others would. So far none of them have cost over $650 new, and a couple have been less than $400. The LEAST accurate would put 5 shots inside an inch at 100 yards, again with factory ammo.

I also have considerable experience with various other 6.5's, and in fact right now own a custom, Lilja-barreled 6.5x55, chambered with a special "target" reamer. It shoots well, but even with handloads is in the middle of the pack of factory 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned. Also have a Tikka .260, which shoots very well with handloads, but I had to work over the magazine to get even common hunting bullets to seat near the lands--where they shoot best. Have owned a bunch of other 6.5x55's and .260's over the years, including both factory and custom, and while they shot well with handloads, with factory none of them came close to "affordable" 6.5 Creedmoors.

Again, this is major factor in the 6.5 Creedmoor's popularity--which none of the avid handloaders on the Campfire who've never shot a 6.5 Creedmoor will apparently ever begin to comprehend. Which is why threads like this keep reappearing: All you guys get to roll out the same rants, which must be fun, somehow or other.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like the TAC deniers who keep using H335 ...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
[Linked Image]

I rest my case.

Its La-fawn-duh, dude.

oh .

Posted by Bristoe
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
It must be the End All Be All. The gun company’s have reached a plateau, the apex. the end of the line in development. No need to go any further.

Marketing and the rags will really have to get creative to stay afloat. Maybe they will focus on retro guns and cartridges and drive the collectors market higher.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mathman
Like the TAC deniers who keep using H335 ...

Yep....

Seems like the Elmers on this board keep reproducing....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
750 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.