Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Finally comerade, at my stage of life now, I'm hoping that at some point in the future if there's still hunting and forums such as this exist in whatever form, when the question comes up someone will be able to say that a little bald guy with a big mustache from OK Falls was helpful for them when they started hunting.

If that happens, then I'll have accomplished what I'm endeavoring to do, you know?

You're the man.....

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
comerade;
Thanks for the reply sir.

Interesting to know you were related to Bob - I recall very well when he was killed - my goodness though that was 2004 or so wasn't it?

I want to say it was after the Vaseaux Fire - we got evacuated for that one and were in the middle of a big house reno - anyway that was '03 and I thought Bob was killed after that, but I can't recall exactly when.

While I'd certainly heard of him and know a few folks that met him, I don't believe I did, though we might have been at a BCWF meeting together or something and not met.

Thanks again for the reply and all the best to you folks as we head into fall.

Dwayne

Just check in .I believe it was 2004. He was very active in the BC Wildlife Fed until he was registered as an outfitter. Bob was very political and very active with wildlife issues.
I miss him, his twin sister lives in town and his uncle Peewee recently passed away.
Time marches on. Take care

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Silver Bullet of Oregon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Finally comerade, at my stage of life now, I'm hoping that at some point in the future if there's still hunting and forums such as this exist in whatever form, when the question comes up someone will be able to say that a little bald guy with a big mustache from OK Falls was helpful for them when they started hunting.

If that happens, then I'll have accomplished what I'm endeavoring to do, you know?

You're the man.....

T Inman;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the summer's been a good one for you in your part of the world and that you've had enough rain to make the fire season less sporty.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it, but emphatically am still very much a work in progress on so many levels. blush

This spring marked my 30th year as a BC Hunter Safety instructor and someone asked me what had prompted me to start way back when. I knew/know exactly why I did/do it - it's because I love the life that hunting and hunters lead - I believe many of us are better people because we hunt.

When the day might come that someone asked me what I did to pass it along or to ensure it kept going, I wanted to be able to look them in the eye and honestly tell them I'd tried, you know?

Sorry that I can't articulate it better than that T - but I believe you get my drift? I've long felt it - hunting and it's inherent lifestyle - was something of value worth saving and passing on.

Some days it feels like I'm saddling up to tilt at a windmill, truly it does out here in BC where we're so run by the green influenced Greater Vancouver population, but then there's rays of hope that come along to make me start planning for the next session of classes.

One spring class not that long ago, there was this young fellow with a watch cap on, bearing races in his ears and a few extra chrome studs here and there along with enough ink to make a sailor take notice. Anyway he's the genuine antithesis of this 3/4 sized cowboy looking dude - but there he is in my class.

After one night he comes up to me and it telling me he's really into the "Locavore movement" and he says, "It dawned on me one day that you old time hunter guys have been doing that forever, so I was like - that's cool! I gotta do that too!!" laugh

Anyway T, thanks again and let's hope there's always something to hunt and folks who want to hunt it.

All the best to you sir as we ease into the fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I look at the hunters who have tenacity on public land hunts without using a guide and score big.

They do their home work and pay their dues to score success.

Those are the greatest hunters.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Francis E. Sell.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Francis E. Sell.

roundoak;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend was a good one for you and this finds you well.

Years ago I worked with a lady who had that last name and as it's not that far from here to Oregon, I asked if she had any relatives who might have been hunting or firearms writers?

She laughed and said, "Oh you mean my husband's Uncle Frank don't you?" and proceeded to tell me a few stories about him. According to her he and his wife had a huge garden up until they were unable to keep it any longer and were family favorites - just salt of the earth kinda folks.

Anyway I thought I'd share that with you tonight sir. All the best to you folks as we head closer to fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
AB2506 said, “No personal mentors” and that’s true for myself per Deer hunting.

My Dad started me squirrel and quail hunting as I got old enuff. In the 60-70s there weren’t
enuff Deer around here to waste your time hunting them. Today I have deer on my place and see them at my mineral trace salt block and HAVE had their tracks in my front yard.

I was grown and married before I started seriously deer hunting. I read everything I got my hands on about hunting, deer, elk, Turkey, et al. I learned ALOT from hunting writers and the rest was trial & error based on what I read.

I have books and magazines on many many subjects. I learned about “still” hunting,
(stalking) from Mr John Wooters. He described how to do it in understandable ways and
I tried it. The VERY first time I tried, I got a big old Doe in my scope, unfortunately she was illegal, but that gave me confidence that - I - could do it.

I honestly don’t think I could name “the best or greatest” in my opinion.
Many names have been mentioned that I’ve read and learned from. I appreciate ALL
of the ‘real’ hunters.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Jim Corbett

Same here. I read Man-Eaters of Kumaon when I was around ten years old and have reread it five or six times.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Frank Billum who was one of the old traditional chiefs of the Ahtna Athabaskans was one of the best hunters that I have encountered. He didn't need much and would get a big moosk every year. His 30-30 was state of the art and he would dote on it like a favorite child or pet. He kept it in a very nice beaded moose-leather case. I once got up enough courage to ask him why he put so much love into a levergun that had an effective range of 125 yards. He said it was because it was a hell of a lot better than the muzzleloader he had before or the bows and arrows that he started with.

I can all but guarantee he had a greater effective range than 125 yards. I used to go 125 yards with my .44 Mag revolver. With my open sighted 30-30's I've killed past 200 yards.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Frank Billum who was one of the old traditional chiefs of the Ahtna Athabaskans was one of the best hunters that I have encountered. He didn't need much and would get a big moosk every year. His 30-30 was state of the art and he would dote on it like a favorite child or pet. He kept it in a very nice beaded moose-leather case. I once got up enough courage to ask him why he put so much love into a levergun that had an effective range of 125 yards. He said it was because it was a hell of a lot better than the muzzleloader he had before or the bows and arrows that he started with.

I love these stories, reminds me of growing up.
I absorbed all I could, myself. I still wear wool and felt because I was told it would save my life one day.
I think I am old enough to have caught the end of many of the old ways. My Uncle Gabe, Kozy, Chiefy, Smokey.....just had to be a fly on the wall and listen....love this stuff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm surprised no one suggested Daniel Boone, but of the more recent contestants, I fully agree with Carlos Hathcock.

Daniel Boone - https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/1999/12/great-american-hunters-daniel-boone/

Carlos Hathcock (stalk and kill) - https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-09-07-8603060789-story.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike

I can all but guarantee he had a greater effective range than 125 yards. I used to go 125 yards with my .44 Mag revolver. With my open sighted 30-30's I've killed past 200 yards.
Same here. 200 is no problem on deer with an open sighted .30-30. I've killed several between 200 and 250 and one at a little over 300 with mine. One shot each. Course that was 30 years ago when my eyesight was considerably better than it is today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Buhmiller........Gun looney and hunter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Always admired Bell's exploits.

And with Carlos it just depends on what one is hunting. whistle

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You might want to research Chuck Mawhinney as well. He had more confirmed kills than Hathcock, but not as much publicity,

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by moosemike

He was 94 years old with failing eyes and body. He still could call a moosk with the best of them. He generally would cut a big bull's tracks and then just wait...sometimes for days... and then he would put a big 190 grain round nose where it mattered. Shooting and hunting are too different things. Frank was probably not ever headed to the 1000 yard matches but he sure could hunt for being an old man.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Then there's Charles Sheldon, the "Father of Denali."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or Roy Chapman Andrews.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hathcock gets my vote for best hunter of men.

WDM Bell & Corbett in that order for best hunters of 4 legged critters

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,118 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.