Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Springcove
I will have a wolf tag in my pocket when I head to Idaho this October. A hunting buddy saw one last year but couldn’t get a shot. Hopefully he does better this year...

Utah doesn’t have wolves. Just big coyotes and little coyotes...
You're coming to Idaho with A wolf tag? As in ONE tag? Don't you know you can buy 5 of them and they're dirt cheap compared to other big game tags? In the north, the season is open year round and 8 months in much of the south. If you find a wolf, likely it won't be alone. You need several of those CHEAP tags so you can take luxurious skins home to your wife and friends. It's the best big game hunting deal that Idaho offers.

The 1st year wolves were legally hunted in Idaho I, the eternal optimist, did buy 5 tags. I now have much more experience and only buy 2 at a time.grin

I recently watched an excellent video produced by the State of Idaho on the economic impact that wolves have had on the State. Old Goosey might actually learn something.......nah, not him.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
To a liberal, there is no quantity of wolves that they will consider them recovered. They want more and more to decimate the ungulate populations. This is an anti-hunting ploy, nothing more.

It is also an antigun ploy.

No game to hunt. No need for sporting arm.

No hunting seasons. No hunting. No legitimate reason to own guns. (in the minds of the liberals)

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
1184 views , keep it going folks nearly 1200 signatures in a little over one day .... LAF ...

TTT smile a heartfelt thank you to all ...................

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Years ago, I got my hands on a magazine from one of the anti hunting groups. They had an article about how their long range plan was to use large predators to reduce game animal numbers to the point that hunting would have to be eliminated. I thought it was nonsense and threw the magazine away. That was a big mistake as it was proof of what their real agenda was..

That's always been the plan. Once Deer and Elk numbers are down a Judge will shut down the big game season.
Sage grouse numbers have been way down in recent years. There are lots of suggestions as to exactly why and possibly all are somewhat correct. The antis are screaming to shut down the season but the IDFG keeps a season going for 7 days with a 1 bird limit. That's hardly worth going out for but it is a season. I don't know a single person who hunts them any more. I'm thinking that their idea is to show that we still have huntable numbers to keep the feds from declaring them endangered. If that happened, it would affect a lot more than just the grouse season. It could affect everything from cattle grazing to deer hunting to 4 wheeling.

You betcha. Add oil exploration and production, and mining to that. Listing the Sage Grouse would mean the end of a way of life.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just signed up. Go Trump!. MAGA!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Were have you been. There was only suppose to be 100 +
Wolves in the so called reintroduction now there is 990 by Goverment counts. I bet theres a helluva lot more.

And there used to be several hundred thousand wolves living across the Western US. I don't think "100" can be considered the recovery of a population.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Is that what passes for your thinking?

That's the dumbest thing I've seen as a rebuttal for a long time here. You should go into Democrat politics.

100 was the "recovery" goal, until there were 100, then they moved the goalposts. Repeatedly. As RC, says, the woofer uber alles crowd will never find a "recovery" goal met.

Restore the Western US to the condition it was in when there were "several hundred thousand wolves", and we'll talk.

In the early exploration of Alaska, there was little game to feed the explorers, who were often on starvation diets. Natives several times saved lives of same. By feeding them fish- wolves had pretty much eliminated most of the land herbivores.

First rule when you are in over your head in a hole is to stop digging. "STFU before you get any deeper" would be good advice, if I cared to offer it.

I don't. Keep digging.

If you are interested in improving your wolf management education, start with Jim Reardon's "Wolves of Alaska". Not a documentary per se- more like historical non-fiction fiction. Mech, Lopez, et al have good info on the biology, etc.

The man in charge of the Yellowstone reintroduction did much work here on the Kenai National Wildlfe Refuge before geting the recovery job.. Ran into him one night years ago at a mutual friend's place and the three of us got to tipping a few. Too many, that is.... smile

He said that during the reintroduction he tried to keep the number of death threats from both sides fairly well balanced..... he figured that way he was doing it about "right".

The man is not without a sense of humor.

When wolves eat all of their food supply, the wolf population itself will crash. Both populations are then liable to remain for long periods - many decades- at low levels. By managing the wolf population to a controlled level, prey species will thrive, and then can support a higher wolf population than if the wolves are uncontrolled or allowed at too high a "recovery" level. The peaks and valleys for both populations will be somewhat evened out, and the decades long starvation periods will be shortened or even eliminated.

"Recovery" is not an unlimited except-by -themselves level of wolves. It is a sustainable, self perpetuating level that allows for optimum prey species levels which can then support both (higher than low, but lower than high) wolves aas well as humans. That means human intervention, management, and reasonable, sustainable wolf populations where even feasable. The problem is wolves are better breeders than humans are able to easily control except by extraordinary means. Hunting and trapping by the public alone usually won't do it.

"We can't just let Nature run wild!" - Wally Hickle (then Governor of Alaska).

Last edited by las; 07/19/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I worry more about human population numbers...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mighty deep and muddy waters there...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Goosey
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Were have you been. There was only suppose to be 100 +
Wolves in the so called reintroduction now there is 990 by Goverment counts. I bet theres a helluva lot more.

And there used to be several hundred thousand wolves living across the Western US. I don't think "100" can be considered the recovery of a population.

WOW you really are stuck on dumbazz. There used to be wide open spaces with no ranches, people or livestock.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Springcove
I will have a wolf tag in my pocket when I head to Idaho this October. A hunting buddy saw one last year but couldn’t get a shot. Hopefully he does better this year...

Utah doesn’t have wolves. Just big coyotes and little coyotes...

Well, to be honest it wasn't my best outing!

Missed an opportunity at a wolf, then missed a buck! I'm pretty sure it was a bull sprig buck.... laugh

Last edited by sactoller; 07/19/19.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The bottom line is: As long as the Rocky Mountain ecosystem has an apex predator armed with rifles, the ecosystem needs no wolves.

Every elk or deer eaten by wolves is a deer or elk which will not be going into some hunter's freezer. And each one eaten accounts for several big game tags which will not be sold.

And what is the annual elk kill per wolf again.

Based just on game killed by wolves, there is no justification for reintroducing them to this ecosystem. And that is without counting the cattle and sheep killed each year. We lost enough livestock to coyotes, we sure as hell do not need to be battling wolves as well.

The only good wolf is a dead wolf.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wolves were never extinct ranchers I met during my years in Idaho all agreed .
The need for planting packs of wolves was all a lie .
One rancher told me about riding a 110cc honda atc in sw idaho owyhee desert - just sight seeing - riding the fun little atv . Came over the top of a hill and 6 wolves ran off of a muledeer kill this was in the late 70's . He shut it off and grabbed his binos - said they ran about 500 yards stopped and stared back for a minute then trotted off into the sagebrush . Said he had seen wolves down there his whole life , had family in nevada who had seen them too .
The whole wolf thing was a liberal pushed gov't backed BS operation .
Who here doesn't know how many times the gov't has put critters here & there trying to help something and their help turns into to an environmental disaster . . . .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wolves were never extinct ranchers I met during my years in Idaho all agreed .
5 years before the 1st introduction, my son and I watched 2 wolves running a calf elk in Idaho's Stanley Basin. Plain fact: extinct wolves don't eat elk.
The introduction violated the Endangered Species Act. We had a small population of wolves that, under the law, should have been propagated. Instead, they flagrantly violated the law and brought in gray wolves that quickly killed off and/or bred the natives out of existence.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.