Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Big, bold and impossible to be wrong.
Who living, dead otherwise served as your inspiration to learn all you can and apply this skill to hunt Big Game.
My Uncle Gabe was my lofty hero, depression raised, meticulous with his duties either while handloading and shooting or assessing an approach to a Bull Elk....and don't waste any meat! Keep the quarters clean and make sure everthing was salvaged.
I wouldn't dare disappoint this man.
Hey and our handloads with mil surp powders were generous , partially directed by a load manual. ( I still have them all)
Mostly directly by his attention to detail.
Quite a man, long gone but hammerd home in my memory.- for ever.Cheers.
What about you?
Maybe it was a writer like Jack, Elmer , or further back to Townie? Perhaps John is your man! Or maybe someone else drew you into Big Game hunting.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Fred Bear !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I still kinda go back to reading Hagel as a young kid and loving his sensibilities of the fast 7’s, 300’s and 338’s for hunting. Loved his writing. Not a poetic type but I liked the way he rolled. Ross Seyfried was my other influence on what I liked for shooting and hunting and especially the big bore revolvers. I kinda think Hagel and Seyfried were pretty similar in their BG rifle and cartridge selections since they seemed to be pretty big EK students as well.

As far as hunting, I am lucky in that my elk hunting partner is 73 years young this year and we’re attacking Wyoming and Idaho this fall again and getting after elk again. We’ve covered a lot of ground together and had some empty meat poles but by and large we typically find and kill elk.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I was young my Grandma gave me my Great Grandfathers Wally Taber books. I became fascinated with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wally Taber. That's brings back a memory. He used to come through my home town (Meadviile, PA) in the 1970s with his films and show. He was entertaining.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Little Stick right here on the fire......there’s not even a close second.

PennDog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I learned quite a lot about hunting mule deer in Colorado from a Korean War veteran named Joe Adorjon. He hunted with a well used German 7.9mm rifle that was a WWII surplus rifle. Joe rarely shot a buck beyond 100 yards. He also hunted elk and antelope with this iron sighted rifle. The original military sights had been professionally replaced with modern receiver sight and front sight featuring a white bead. Joe taught me about watching the wind direction and using the terrain to get close for a sure shot. During the war, Joe had been behind enemy lines twice and knew how to use concealment and cover. He was the greatest hunter that I've ever known.

During these hunts together, I carried a Marlin 30-30 with 4X Redfield scope which Joe admired. I killed my first elk (fat cow) with this outfit under Joe's supervision.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jim Corbett

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim Corbett was a great HUNTER and I still reread all his books periodically.

But he did NOT know all that much about rifles, to the point where he often didn't fire a rifle UNTIL he went hunting. Did a recent piece on this in RIFLE LOONY NEWS (which will appear in the upcoming GUN GACK III). He trusted the British gunmakers of the time to produce rifles that were perfectly sighted-in with multi-leaf open sights to several hundred yards. And sometimes they were not, especially those sighted-in at a factory in Great Britain and then used in the Himalayas.

My nomination might be W.D.M Bell, who not only was a great hunter, but knew rifles. He tested EVERY rifle he ordered himself, and modified the sights so that rifle shot correctly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would also include Theodore S. Van Dyke, author of THE STILL-HUNTER, originally published in 1904. Any close-cover hunter who hasn't read this is at a disadvantage.

Of course, the definition of "still" hunting has varied over the decades, including regionally. In Van Dyke's day it meant moving slowly through the woods, with frequent stops, but now it can mean sitting in a stand--and Van Dyke's still-hunting is often called "stalking," especially in the South.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Karamojo would be my pick for greatest hunter ever but the OP was a bit ambiguous. The title says greatest hunter but his opening post implies the hunter that influenced you the most.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No personal mentors. My friend and I learned by ourselves.

Writers? Probably Bob Milek and for adventure, Jim Carmichael.

Skeeter Skelton was a favorite, a shooting writer who hunted. He could spin a good yarn, think of "Me and Joe".

Bob Hagel was a reloader who wrote common sense, but now some say his loads were hot.

Peter Hathaway Capstick entertained with stories of maneaters.

John Wooters mostly bored me with white tails, white tails and more white tails, but he sure got my attention when he wrote about crawling through the riverine bush along the Rio Grande hunting wild bulls with elephant guns.

Russell Thornberry lived in Alberta and wrote well about hunting in my province. He proved that rattling antlers worked here.

The greatest writer of my time is Craig Boddington. Great Hunter and a very nice man. I'm proud to say I've met him.

John Barsness is a very well rounded writer. Loads of common sense and writes well without talking down to his reader. I've met John and Elaine at SCI. Very nice couple.

I miss Gary Sitton. He was taken too soon.

Layne Simpson is a favorite.

I've had many influences.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Grancel Fitz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Carlos Hathcock

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chuck Mawhinney isn't bad either, and continues to hunt elk with many of the same skills he learned both before and after his military career. Got to know him some while doing an article a few years ago. An excellent hunter, who also knows a LOT about rifles.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jim Corbett was a great HUNTER and I still reread all his books periodically.

But he did NOT know all that much about rifles, to the point where he often didn't fire a rifle UNTIL he went hunting. Did a recent piece on this in RIFLE LOONY NEWS (which will appear in the upcoming GUN GACK III). He trusted the British gunmakers of the time to produce rifles that were perfectly sighted-in with multi-leaf open sights to several hundred yards. And sometimes they were not, especially those sighted-in at a factory in Great Britain and then used in the Himalayas.

My nomination might be W.D.M Bell, who not only was a great hunter, but knew rifles. He tested EVERY rifle he ordered himself, and modified the sights so that rifle shot correctly.

You are absolutely right Juan. Corbett trusted his equipment a bit much and on occasion only carried 3 shells....As a hunter I think he has no equal, as a firearms guy/hunter combo...not so much...definite edge is to Bell on that one. Bell for sure had more experience on game, and as I'm sure you know, neither man was to be trifled with. Corbett taught jungle fighting tactics to soldiers in the campaign at Burma, and Bell flew in WW I. All we have is pictures but Corbett appeared to be a mild mannered unassuming man, Bell seemed to emanate the concept of "Alpha"....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Carlos Hathcock

Nice

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Larry Benoit was probably one of the best deer hunters that ever lived. Though in the book "Big Bucks the Benoit Way" he says his oldest son Lanny had surpassed him and was probably the best deer hunter alive at that time. However, there are many truly fabulous hunters out there who you'll never hear about. I know a couple here who are unbelieveably good but are quite secretive and modest about it for one reason or another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For pure, unmitigated hunting prowess, I will go with Corbett as well. Though, as previously mentioned, he wasn't much of a rifle loony.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
295 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.